Decoy pattern

henry d

Here`s a J pattern set up with a rotary. I don`t tend to use a U with winds from directly L or R though may use them when the wind is angled slightly from the field side. X is the kill zone.

Hope this picture describes it better than the description I posted.

post-1301-1273069225.jpg

Here`s a J pattern set up with a rotary. I don`t tend to use a U with winds from directly L or R though may use them when the wind is angled slightly from the field side. X is the kill zone.

Hope this picture describes it better than the description I posted.

great pics, why not use the U if wind directly from side any reason or just personal pref.

cheers doc

great pics, why not use the U if wind directly from side any reason or just personal pref.

cheers doc

Because I can put a longer leg out into the field as the hedge tends to "funnel" the birds in. It also lets you maximize the amount of decoys you have and also birds tend not to like to be near a hedge if they can avoid it as they are at risk from attack by predators who can get close without being seen.

A "U" shape is great for when the wind is at an angle towards the hedge you are in as it will then funnel the birds to the kill zone and especially if the wind is from directly behind you.

If you are ever out for a walk, take your bins with you and watch how woodpigeon act in a flock both on the ground and as singles/small groups aproaching a flock feeding :blush:

Because I can put a longer leg out into the field as the hedge tends to "funnel" the birds in. It also lets you maximize the amount of decoys you have and also birds tend not to like to be near a hedge if they can avoid it as they are at risk from attack by predators who can get close without being seen.

A "U" shape is great for when the wind is at an angle towards the hedge you are in as it will then funnel the birds to the kill zone and especially if the wind is from directly behind you.

If you are ever out for a walk, take your bins with you and watch how woodpigeon act in a flock both on the ground and as singles/small groups aproaching a flock feeding :blush:

Thanks Henery

doc

OK, not as good as Nick`s, but I`m just covering the basics here, that and I only have "Paint" to work with :blush:

All situations are different, so these are not gospel and people have preferences for which shots they prefer so the hide position will be subject to that etc. Number and position of deeks in the diagrams is just how I "painted" it.

Remember, others will have their own ways and set ups, but these are just the basics.

First is with a wind parallel to the hedge. Furthest decoy is set at 45m so you have a distance marker. Centre of "Kill" zone is 20m, but can be set to your preference, but remember to move it further out if birds land outside the pattern or jink away.

This can be reversed for a wind in the opposite direction, but still parallel to the hedge.

post-1301-1273142571.jpg

When the wind is angled slightly toward the field this is the pattern I use and it is a good one to use a bouncer on one leg, usually the longer leg and if the wind is nearer to 90" to the hedge the shorter leg will become longer until we get the classic "U" shaped pattern.

post-1301-1273143177.jpg

Now this one is a cracker and gives some great snap shooting. Remember to set it so that you are shooting to your best swing ie. L-R or R-L as the birds will be coming from behind you.

To make it even better it helps if there is a gap in the hedge or some trees to funnel the birds. Distances are relative to wind speed, low wind and deeks can be close and vice versa.

post-1301-1273143588.jpg

Finally, you can finesse it slightly, which is the way I prefer, by opening a gap or using 2 oval/comma shaped groups. This can be used as seen or in any of the other set ups. I have added 2 x floaters/bouncers to this group just to show how it adds to the funneling effect.

Any questions just ask.

Hope these help :blush:

post-1301-1273143857.jpg

• 4 months later...