Going away birds

ferretmanabu

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont bother with going away birds unless they are close, within 25 yds as I tend to hit only 1 in 20. its a waste of a cartridge.

If you want to achive high hit rates for birds going away get down the clay ground.

Saying that ive always been told to aim under the bird.

Remember if you are tempted to take a shot in excess of 45 yds & miss regularly, those birds are soon going to get shy particularly if you are using a magnet.

FM.

I have always suspected that if the average shooter was to actually pace out 30 yards, or 30 metres, they would be surprised at how far it is.

Distance into the air, is even more deceiving.

A friend of mine estimated he was casting 120 yards from the beach, until we went into a meadow, test cast and paced the distance.

It was 85 yards.

Maybe some dedicated clay bashers can confirm, but are DTL guns designed to pattern a little high ? which would explain the "aim at the feet" advice.

It's what your gun does that matters - no harm in using a pattern plate to confirm.

- as an aside I dropped a pigeon at 70 odd yards once - completely unintentionally - I was after a bird at 30 odd yards over the decoys - missed that one but saw the distant bird fold and drop. I paced it out on picking up and was gobsmaked at the distance.

Not done it (or tried to) since.

Cheers

AndyCM

Edited by AndyCM