At the range at last

Big Dog

Hi guys. After months of waiting for it to happen I finally made it to the range on Saturday. :D You guys who know me, know how long I have been working on this. It was a sporting shoot with the range of the day being 100m, 200m, 300m. I met some really top class guys there and they were really open to letting me shoot their guns. I shot for the first time a .223, 6.5X55 and two 308. One was a police sniper rifle, seemed to have a bad problem loading the round but apart form that OK. As most of my experience has been with rimfires, you can immagine the sort of day I had then :lol:

One guy had an completely origial Enfield 303 (origial box, all gun parts, scope etc) It was beautiful, in great condition and a privilage to hold. Hope to shoot it sometime.

I really can't wait until the next shoot, sadly sporting rifles won't be shooting until Jan 06 :)

Nothing quite like it is there. The smell of gunpowder the overwhelming feel of this is what's it all about, the friendships,the recoil in your shoulder. WOW I can still remember my first day at the range with my dad in 1982. Full auto's, pistols and being a youngster everyone was willing to let me have a go :D Oh the good old days :lol:

Sounds like you had a great day Big Dog. :D

What make was the .223? What did you think of it?

Im off to the range tommorow for an hour, just to test another brand of ammo with my .223.

Have you decided which .222 you are getting yet?

Hope it all turns out good for you.

Good luck. :lol:

Big Dog

I can remember firing my .223 for the first time :D what power and to think some shooters refer to these as pea shooters AND MEAN IT!! :lol:

Hows your .222 application coming on ?.............Fullbore is serious accurate shooting mate especially after shooting rimmys and it looks like you've realised :) ..........It's more of a giant leap up as opposed to a step up.

Ive

Frank I am not completely sure what the 223 was as there were so many rifles but I think it was a STEYR ELITE??

And yes deadeye ive I was also supprised at the poke the 223 had as it was the last one I shot, the 6.5x55 and the 308s came before it.

One of the gun I shot was a Sako, like a snipper style rifle. It had a S&B scope about £1000 worth. The guy teaches shooting I think, he zeroed in at 300m and put a round about 2mm of the bull, them group 3 more - seriourly accurate WOW!!

One thing was made clear to me though, when I get my .222 I will moderate it. The difference is very significant.

.222 progress: I have all the letter typed out and I am taking a view days off of work this week and next to go around my farmers to get them to give me the land in writing. My FAC is up 28th Jan. I will send it in about a month early. My dealer told me last week that there is still a 5 month delay since launcing the new system so it will be April or May b4 I get any word back. It is **** but I can do nothing about it.

I am applying for the .222, and 2nd 12g and change my air rifle

My dealer told me last week that there is still a 5 month delay since launcing the new system so it will be April or May b4 I get any word back. It is **** but I can do nothing about it.

Big Dog

One thing you can do is save up................Even the Scope rings will set you back £50/73 Euro and there cheap ones :rolleyes:

Best of Luck mate :oops:

Ive

deadeye ive - you are right, the changes I am making to my FAC, additions and changes, it will take more money than I have right now, strategy is what I am good at so a £££ strategy is what I need.

On a good note I have spent the past 2 days getting farm land signed up. Currently I have just short of 600 Ac but in the past 48 hrs I have increased that by just shot of and additional 800 Ac with at lease 250 more to get on Monday. So lack of land wont stop me getting a .222

Ive is right BD,

Start buying stuff that doesn't need a ticket, look out for scopes and bipods that kind off stuff - you can stalk them on ebay as you have no pressure to buy you can afford to be picky. When I got my first centrefire I just took it home and stuck it the cabinet, it was another month or so before I cough up for the scope+rings, they alone cost about £400, and then there is the cleaning kit, the slip, the sling the list is endless!

I always odder people a shot or 2 with my rifles at the range, people did it for me before I had a gun, so it is way of putting something back into the sport by promoting it.

Keep us posted.

This is what my ctr fire as cost me at the moment .

Gun£500

Scope£150............And I want a Smidt :lol:

Scope caps £20

Rings £48

Sling £25

Bi-pod £75

Moderator £200

Threading £50

Re- proofing £30 ish (not had it done yet )

Ammo ........£1 each(£280 so far as i don't homeload yet )

And this is at the lower end of CTR Fire set ups :blink:

Ive

Ive, what are you having re-proofed??

If you have had a moderator fitted you do not need your rifle to be proofed until you intend on selling it.

I had my .222 & .270 threaded and have a reflex t8, neither rifle has been re-proofed :blink:

Not listing what i have spent on my rifles, because i live in denial :lol:

(i'm not obsessed with my shooting, honest sweetheart :*) )

Edited by kip270

Ive, what are you having re-proofed??

If you have had a moderator fitted you do not need your rifle to be proofed until you intend on selling it.

I had my .222 & .270 threaded and have a reflex t8, neither rifle has been re-proofed :blink:

Not listing what i have spent on my rifles, because i live in denial :lol:

(i'm not obsessed with my shooting, honest sweetheart :*) )

Kip

Yes I know but I like to air on the side of caution ............What does concern me is that should an unfortunate event arise will an insurance company forfeit their obligation making your cover null and void .......a bit like driving a car with no Mot :)

Now let me guess ;) ,,,,,,,,,,So far both them babies have set you back between £2500-£3000 including your home loading gear :o

Ive

PS My mrs says it'd be cheaper if i had another women on the go .........Sometimes I agree with Her :lol::lol:

Not wanting to put any of the "I'm getting my FAC soon, and can't wait" boys off shooting, but....

My first centrefire rifle has cost me so far:

£620 Gun

£300 Scope

£70 rings/bases

£20 scope caps

£30 bipod (secondhand Harris)

£40 slip

£30 sling

£30 or so cleaning stuff

£200+ ammo so far.....

And I don't even want to think about how much in petrol and stalking fees etc :*)

Keep me sane though.

howa short action 223 heavy barrel £350

custom stock made in US with grade 3 wood £150

Bushnell Banner 6-24x40 imported from states for about £80ish dependant on postage and exchange rate

set of forster dies £75

bipod £35

most other components i have hanging around the house, or arnt a great cost, but together once it is how i want it will be an extra 100 or so

plus £20 for variation

and a few squid for postage

cheap rifle, we shal see if its a mistake, but ive done my homework, and im quite confident it will be a fine rifle.

might get it rebarreled once i have the funds, and possibly silenced when i win the lottery.

Well I have just about got all my land signed up while off. Still 2 farms to get. the guys aren't available. To date I have about 1700 Acers of which about 1200 acres are for the .222 and most of it is linked together or within a field or 2. The other land I can shoot my .22lr on it but wouldn't suit the .222 (to flat) or is to far away to be bothered. I can't beleive there is so much land yipee :D

Here is what it will cost me to put a Tikka T3 Hunter on - all new stuff (Of course I am will to look at other options and may need your help here, but here goes):

~ £800. T3 in .222 laminate

~ £450/500 for the Scope - no name but all the dealer say waisting my time to put anything less on.

~ £:D I haven't even thought that rings were more £££s

~ £350 T8 moderator, threading, proofing and postage

So far about £1,650!! :thumbs:

Plus sling??

Will the .22lr cleaning kit not do the .222??

Will probably use my 22lr bipod

I also would like to change my air rifle and put on a 2nd shotgun (at this stage just a piece of **** to get it on my book).

I think I will sell my motor bike and a couple of canoes! :/

BD,

£800 for a T3 sounds massively overpriced but I don't know how the pricing goes for you boys over there. In England they are £4-500 maybe £600 for a laminate.

I bought a M695 in Stainless Laminate and swapped the stock for a plastic one as soon as I could. I like the laminate but it weighs a ton and I got fed up lugging it up hills in Scotland. I will keep it for when I am too old and fat to go hill staking, not long now, some may say :*)

Look at fixed power Hungarian Scmidt scopes, if you don't want zoom they will be as good as anything else you can buy.

The cleaning kit should do both .22 and .222.

My 2 cents!

~ £800. T3 in .222 laminate

~ £450/500 for the Scope - no name but all the dealer say waisting my time to put anything less on.

~ £:D I haven't even thought that rings were more £££s

~ £350 T8 moderator, threading, proofing and postage

So far about £1,650!! :thumbs:

Big Dog

Ouch!!! :D

RRP of a T3 in Wood & Blue Start at around £450 but most are £550 as the wood is better.........Laminate and Stainless will obviously be alot more but won't make you shoot any better . :D

As Stuart as said the scope your dealer is refering to is probably an Hungarian Smidt & Bender 6 X 42 £375 although a excellant scope it's not really a requirement ......Try buying on line from the USA and give this a look if funds are a prob :/;)

Simmons AETEC 4-14x44 WA SF Illuminated Reticle Matte 512105 $219.99(£127) Superb Scope and would be my choice.

T8,s cost no more than £200 .......Jackson Rifles are the importers

So it's around £285 threading and proofing

£50 scope rings

A decent bit of kit for around £1000(1500 Euro)

Can you not shop in England BD and return with your firearm under special import license?

Ive