At the range at last

Big Dog

Thanks guys. Your are scaring me with those prices.

A T3 wood and blue in my local dealer was £690, Synthetic/SS £700 and Lami/SS £800. I am not sure about how I would purchase in England. I guess I have about 6 month to work it out. No doubt a forum topic in the making.

The scopes issue, I do fancy as much light as possible. the 8x56 is appealing. I note you highight 1", what about 30mm??

I think you are right I need to look on the www for the scope. I bought my 22lr scope from a dealer in England, can't remember who but scope were there big thing.

if you can get a 30mm (slightly harder to source but only a few quid more expensive) i would get it, every 30mm scope ive tried has just been nicer to use, must larger field of view (or thats the way it seemed, not actually sure if it was) its basically as if your looking down a bigger tube (which you are)

it also increases light transmition very slightly.

the 6x42 and 8x56 will be as bright as one another, they both have objective lense sizes that are proportinal to the magnification they have. personally for a foxing gun i find 6 too little, my old man bought himself a swaro 6x42 for the 6.5 and within a few weeks replaced it with an 8x56, and gave the 6x42 to the rimfire.

each to their own, i know one man in particular who swears by nothing more than 7x in the field. arguably for a stalking rifle this is correct.

personally, the closer i can make the quarry in the lense, the more happy i am with pulling the trigger, in the knoledge that i know exactly where the bullets going.

Ive,

Yes York Guns, the Sportsman etc etc

I would never buy anything off you, but I would love to sell you something one day :lol:

BD,

You can get 30mm tube Hungarians they are bit more and I am not getting into the light gathering difference other than saying there isn't any!

6x42 £357

8x56 £389

Remember with higher mag any movement at your end is also magnified, hence the reason a lot of good old shooters use lower magnification scopes, try before you buy as always. It all depends what you intend to shoot and at what ranges.

You should be able to but from England and have gun sent to a RFD in NI I would have thought? we are all UK after all. Give the guys at Minsterley Ranges a call for a good Tikka price, and ask them about shipping to NI at the same time.

If you really want to spoil your day have look in the US a Tikka prices :lol: you gun would be about $500 over there - sigh. . .

Yes being married to an American I am all to aware of how US prices compare to those in UK/NI. I makes me sick. On top of that I also have the added depressing situation in that I have to listen to the mother-in-law nagging about how brilliant the US is and how deprived we are here in NI. At least over here we fight each other. I got my own back on her this year. I use her photo as a target.

What a great feeling, to see your cross hairs on your mother-in-law face (paper face of course) :lol::lol:

[B]I can see I need more research on scopes so any good site or info is appreciated.[/b] Time is on my side as it will be at lease April or May b4 my FAC will be through. The down side is I have been working on this for 6 mths already.

The BASC are now meeting with the PSNI here to address the delay in FAC turn around.

You are sorted then mate, for scopes at least!

You can busy on that ahead of your FAC coming through and spread the cost a bit?

Have search on t'internet for Leupod in the States, buy one and get one shipped to the old MIL's house and get her to send it to you as a 'gift'.

I was out there a couple of times last year and my mate got a Mark 4 LRT sent to my Hotel. They have come down here a bit now, but at the time I saved him about £250 on the UK price - he gave me trigger kit for my CZ and bought me a beer, how cheap am I :lol::lol: