Spaniel Advice from a Keeper

MadSpringer

Out beating on Saturday and one of the new beaters is considering getting a dog, this obviously generated a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of various breeds. Anyway the shortlist is between a Springer or Cocker. On hearing this the keeper decided to offer the following piece of advice:-

“If you’re going to get a ******* spaniel you need to be on it as soon as it’s had its first ****!”

:lol::D:)

Cheers

That keeper obviously knows a thing or two about Spaniels Mad :P:rolleyes:

Ill have one any time above all else ( apart from a St Bernard if I was caught in an Avalanche of course.)

Labs & retrievers are OK if you just want a companion to send you to sleep at night in front if the fire ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

My keepers Motto ( Who is 83 and still going strong ) "GET A LIFE GET A SPRINGER." Boy does he work hard to keep up with it!!! :oops:

FM.

I have two and work them together !

It helps that one is nearly 11 and one 2 yr old,so the youngster gets the start of the drive and any thick stuff,then the oldy potters about and gently noses the reluctant birds out of cover.......then a rabbit runs past and ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE :P:rolleyes: :o :oops:

my springer is nuts :D but hey they say a dog is like it owner mine dont listen or just plays dumb so yeah alot like me i suppose :o . how do you slow a dog that seems hyper recently he has decided the whistle is not for him and is putting his head down and carrying on what he wants to do all i can do is stand and shout at him can i re instate my power over him or are my calm dog days over. :oops::P:rolleyes:

My late Father always had springers and you are bang on the money, mad as hatters but the best dog you'll find to get into rough cover. Got into many a scrape with them and as a lad I used to take one to the local woods after shoot days and pick up the odd runner or two. They'd be sitting tight in the smallest tuft of grass that you wouldn't think would hide a mouse but she knew and would almost point them before diving in and grabbing them. Keeper didn't mind as they were no use to him.

Had to rescue one from a bog it had run straight into on one occasion, it was gradually sinking under the mire but we managed to clamber out on a branch and drag the sod to safety. Another time one jumped a sheep wire fence but the fence had two strands of barbed wire above and the dog got it's leg between the strands as it went over, ending up hanging by a back leg spanish windlass style on the far side. The old chap was frantic, he was getting past his prime by then and didn't know what to do. I handed him my empty gun, reached over and grabbed the dog by the scruff of its neck and hurled it back the way it had come from. Sounds a bit brutal but there wasn't much choice, it sounds easy but I hope you never get to try it as you can't get a very good purchase at that angle. Dog got up, shook itself and was off again looking for more long tailed rabbits. Another one ripped its belly open on wire, which we didn't notice until we got home and was cleaning her up, didn't make anything of it at the time, just kept working all day.

I'm tempted to get one myself but can remember the destruction and chaos that accompanies ownership. Best dog by a country mile for general walking up shooting in cover and real characters to boot.

I’ve a Springer, she’s about 18 months now and just as crazy as when I first collected her, what am I on about she’s miles worse but I’m sure I’ll have Springer’s till the day I die.

Be warned though, if you decide not to cage them in the house then is does cost you about three grand in damaged carpets, doors, stairs, banister, chair legs ect, but she’s stopped now so I forgive her the little tinker.

The energy they have needs to be researched as I could get loads more done if I had some Springer genes.

The PM

post-13-1132784340.jpg

Hi Blackthorn,

Try tuffies in scotland, I think the address is www.tuffies.co.uk. I have had one for my springer for over six months.

They are tough, waterproof (so they can be jetwashed) and they also put an eyelet in the corner so they can be tied in the run.

I am thinking that my Springer is an Angel as he has not chewed anything he's not supposed to. He is a little bit lively and does run around the house a lot, but nothing like what you guys are talking about. Perhaps his mothers temperament is showing through after all.

As for the quote " a lab is born half trained and a spaniel dies half trained" what a load of b*ll*cks, Mine stopped the first time I gave a single blast on the whistle and retreives every time and thats with no training at all.

Cheers

MC