zeroing

bearhire

Zero it at 30, then shoot at 18 to see where the POI is. That way, you can always do it at 18 yards should you want to

You will have to find out how high it shoots at closer range to be able to tell. There is too many variables with air rifles to work it out simply.

:good:

have you got chairgun software? it will tell you where your pellet will be hitting on the crosshairs. for example i zero my gun at 35yrds and chairgun tells me i will need no holdover or holdunder (i.e hitting the crosshairs) at 15yrds. this is because the pellets trajectory is like a big ark and unless your zero rnage is right on top of that ark there will alway be 2 places where your gunis zeroed, and the other ranges you need holover/holduder for.

I'd do as SSS says,,,, zero at 30yds, shoot at a safe target at that distance, marked with a 5mm dot. Then move the target, or your gun to make distance 18yds.

Shoot at the same 5mm dot at centre of crosshairs, and where POI is on your reticle is your aim point for 18yds,,, simples :blink:

your gun must be rested and preferably move target, not gun. This works for all distances. Here's a link to show what I mean ;)

Hope this is of some help

i normally zero at 30 yards but it would be handy to be able to do it outside my house at 18 yards. how can i do it? zero an inch high at 18 or something?? thanks

If you know your muzzle energy, let us know what calibre and pellets you are using.

I used to zero at 36 yards with 11.6ft/lb with exacts .177, this gave me a flat shot from 8.6 to 40.7 yards, with a zero on 36 yards and a first zero of 14 yards.

If you know your muzzle energy, let us know what calibre and pellets you are using.

I used to zero at 36 yards with 11.6ft/lb with exacts .177, this gave me a flat shot from 8.6 to 40.7 yards, with a zero on 36 yards and a first zero of 14 yards.

Almost the same numbers for me as well, using Maximum Point Blank Range calculation. In my case I get 9.1 yards to 41.1 yards within a one inch kill zone, with zeros at 14.5 and 36.6.

You also need the scope height, ie the distance between the centre line of the bore and the centre line of the scope.

hi kyska, i use air arms field in 22 and 11.3 ft lb. cheers for the help guys

Well old bean, according to chairgun you want a 28 yard zero, that'll give you a flat shot from 6.6 yards to 31.6 yards, with a point blank at 10 yards, plenty for your garden.

Download the prgramme above and you'll see your trajectory so you can compensate, even better with a rangefinder.

Consider a .177 if you buy another or change....not to start arguments though!

Good luck mate.

As I pointed out already, if you don't know the scope height above the barrels then you can only be guessing now...

Not at 31 yards you're not, surely a marker of 31 yards any village idiot can work out over/under hold... :big_boss:

Can I just point out that chairgun is a computer programme which will give you an answer to a number of figures put to it, so the answer will always be a guide, not a set figure. And kyska, whenever does any projectile from any "low powered" gun, ie airguns, travel absolutely flat? You say that chairgun has calculated a pellets flight,

This I'm afraid is totally incorrect, especially in .22 , also in all flavours. Zero at 31.6yds might give a closer zero at 6.6yds but I doubt that too. Most .22 pellets at 30yds zero will also cross zero at about 10 > 15yds, dependant on many factors. The simplest way to zero your scope/gun/pellet combo is to look at the link I put in my post earlier.

I must say that this can be a confusing subject, but most things are solved in the simplest way.

No offence meant in my thoughts, just my opinion and one that has been tested many times. :big_boss:

Regards JKD

Edited by JKD

Oh dear, I don't need lecturing about how a pellet flys old bean, I meant flat as in it'll stay within the 1 inch target zone, I've tried and tested it too and it works, and it seems to work for 1000's of people who use it.

I really shouldn't have to be pedantic and explain that chairgun is only a guide, and remember there is no such thing as a flat trajectory because we have gravity etc to contend with blah blah blah

Not at 31 yards you're not, surely a marker of 31 yards any village idiot can work out over/under hold... :big_boss:

You have used Chairgun to provide this information without one of the important pieces of data. Therefore your info is only a guide.

You have used Chairgun to provide this information without one of the important pieces of data. Therefore your info is only a guide.

Of course its a guide! What is going on here? Its a zero of 90 feet, simply set it up and see what happens, whats so difficult about that?

Jeez

I meant flat as in it'll stay within the 1 inch target zone

Theoretically yes, but scope height and magnification screw it up in practical terms - at 35yd zero, 10x, with 1.8" mounts, I need 2 mildots over at 8yds, and half a mildot under at 25yds. It ain't flat, for sure!

Of course its a guide! What is going on here? Its a zero of 90 feet, simply set it up and see what happens, whats so difficult about that?

Jeez

What is going on is you offered advice in a fairly authoritative manner for the OP to go and work with, without knowing the full facts. Now you seem incapable of accepting a simple criticism. :)

What is going on is you offered advice in a fairly authoritative manner for the OP to go and work with, without knowing the full facts. Now you seem incapable of accepting a simple criticism. :)

I don't even think I'm being criticised, its a simple job, but as usual people make mountains out of a molehill. I use the chairgun programme to get an idea of what should be happening, then go and shoot the ranges it suggested and see what adjustments are needed, what so difficult about that?

Yes, the OP has a guide to work on, where is the issue with that?

Half the fun of shooting surely.

Edited by kyska

The "issue" is that folk tend to read what they see and believe every word. I think it is important to have the full facts available.

From my own experience Chairgun is very accurate indeed. I have taken the trouble to test the predicted results both indoors (up to 16m) and outdoors on still days and have been most impressed. However, like any software the output can only be as good as the data supplied.

The "issue" is that folk tend to read what they see and believe every word. I think it is important to have the full facts available.

From my own experience Chairgun is very accurate indeed. I have taken the trouble to test the predicted results both indoors (up to 16m) and outdoors on still days and have been most impressed. However, like any software the output can only be as good as the data supplied.

Yep! And the data supplied by the OP was calibre/pellet make and muzzle energy, so I posted the link to chairgun and demonstrated how it could work for him, simple as, its up to him to tune the finer points. :)

Edited by kyska

i normally zero at 30 yards but it would be handy to be able to do it outside my house at 18 yards. how can i do it? zero an inch high at 18 or something?? thanks

Zero it at 30, then shoot at 18 to see where the POI is. That way, you can always do it at 18 yards should you want to

You will have to find out how high it shoots at closer range to be able to tell. There is too many variables with air rifles to work it out simply.

:good:

Guys, everyone seems to be getting a bit excited about Programs on computers which will only ever be a guide, I can't help thinking you don't want a guide, you are past that, the answer is simple.... as per SSS!! :lol::lol::lol:

I think the point John is trying to make is that yes Chairgun is a guide but it will be a lot closer to real world behaviour if you also supply the scope height.

When I was trying to work out my optimum zero for my LR, I left that bit alone to start with, when I actually measured it and recalculated it did make a difference but it will only change the "aim at it" spread, so if you zero at 55yards for LR you might not get the full 12 to 62yards "aim at it" spread.

I'm sure Kryska knows only too well that that does not constitute "flat" shooting but I know what he means, your deviation would be a max of half an inch from 12 to 62yards so you would put the killzone in your crosshairs and not hold under/over when shooting within that distance. However if you have the scope height wrong, you probably won't get the same spread as you expect.