Rabbit round in .243

marlin.45

Suggestions for a suitable load for rabbit in .243 Win?

To save buying a .22mag or .17HMR it must be possible to work up a suitable round with say a 55gr. bullet with similar velocities to .22mag/WMR? OK now the twist should be bullet weight specific but has anyone worked one up which gives a good trajectory while not using up precious powder and leaving a usable rabbit at the end of it?

Oh, and in a Remmy 700. Cheers all. :lol:

Edited by marlin.45

why bother, you would be running dangerously low weights of powders when using normal powders, and would need to re zero the gun when using different rounds for your foxing, bunny bashing and stalking.

the ammount of money you would save in powder is tiny, most of the cost of the round is in the bullet.

just use your normal vermin round. my old man uses an 87 grain bullet, flys flat enough, goes pretty fast, and hits very hard.

unless you run a subsonic round, you will have trouble not destroying a rabbit with a 243, if your after meat, go for head shots or buy a different gun. :lol:

Cummon guys it was only a question. Yep I could use my .45LC but there wouldn't be much left with that :)

Just wondered if anyone had tried it and I remember reading in Gmart a few months back of a French Co. marketing custom cases in .223/.243 etc. with reduced case capacities for just such a purpose. If the .243 can do the job why splash out for entire new kit? As for zero I use a mil dot and can compensate to suit.

Currently I use a Marlin 39 in .22LR or the SG so it's just another string to one rifles 'bow' as it were. :lol:

This may be hyperthetical but worth knocking some ideas arouns and I'll try and dig out my back issue of Gmart if the cat hasn't pi**ed on it :D

Edited by marlin.45

By using a .243, do you mean long range bunnys, say 300 + yds?

My mate with the .243, does this from time to time. He lives in the North of Ireland, so can reload. He uses 85 grain Blitz Kings, ill ask him the load he has worked out, as i would not have a clue. :lol:

I have seen him take out bunnys out to 436 yds, :lol: .

Amazing stuff. :) You hear a boom, a wizz, then a pop, where the bunny gets hit. To watch it in the binoculars, makes the hair stand on the back of your neck.

But, unless you can hit it in the head, its not worth picking up. :D

Personally, i would not bother at such a long range, but from time to time, test the accuracy of my .223 with head shot bunnys out to max 200 yds.

Its totally different accuracy testing then being on a range.

Edited by Frank

Cummon guys it was only a question. Yep I could use my .45LC but there wouldn't be much left with that :)

Just wondered if anyone had tried it and I remember reading in Gmart a few months back of a French Co. marketing custom cases in .223/.243 etc. with reduced case capacities for just such a purpose. If the .243 can do the job why splash out for entire new kit? As for zero I use a mil dot and can compensate to suit.

Currently I use a Marlin 39 in .22LR or the SG so it's just another string to one rifles 'bow' as it were. :lol:

This may be hyperthetical but worth knocking some ideas arouns and I'll try and dig out my back issue of Gmart if the cat hasn't pi**ed on it :D

im not saying you cant try and do this, but you asked for advice

milldot dosent make anydifference, you need to re zero to be accurate with different rounds as more often than not, swaping between rounds moves the point of impact, also if you intend to work at long range, which is the only use i can see for this round as a dedicated bunny gun, then you would deffinatly need to re zero.

as for the .45 being more destructive, i have not experianced a 45 in the field, but there are very few rounds which with a balistic tip will be more destructive than the 243, it is fast, has a lightish projectile and its just pure evil. out of all the rounds ive shot rabbits with, only the 22-250 is more destructive, which after all is originally bassed the same case with a smaller projectile going faster.

just buy a cz 452 varmint in 17hmr or 22mag if you want a longer range bunny gun. with head shots, you can still eat them, and a very nice setup including scope/silencer/bipod etc.... will only cost a little over £400.

or as i said, dont bother loading down rounds, keep it supersonic and shoot them with the normal fox round. if you can head shoot them, then they are still edible.

Sorry nick, but the 22-250 is based on the 250-3000 savage case. :)

The .243 is a necked-down .308.

Another thing to watch out for with down-loading and putting too little powder in the case is the risk of detonation. :D

Just invest in a nice little .17hmr, great little calibre and deadly accurate out to 150 yds. :lol:

G.M.

These guys seem to be thinking along my lines....

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/reloads/loading_243_lite/

Switching to FMJ. Mmmm.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/archiv...hp/t-20603.html

Cast bullets at sub sonic speeds. Sounds a bit hairy with 'point the barrel in the air before firing' advice :rolleyes: Casting no problem though.

:oops:

Waiting for info on reduced capacity carts cases from GMart.

Edited by marlin.45

I use a 100g bullet in my .243 at ranges up to 500 yards on rabbits and they work well.

Bloody Nora, I couldn’t even SEE a rabbit at 500 yds. B)

I sight in at 200 yds with my .243 using 100 grn bullets, because this will serve me OK from 50yds out to 250 yds without any need for hold over/under.

At 500 yds I would be needing to hold @30 inches above the target and even a 5 mph breeze would push it out by @ 9-10 inches.

Would be a waste of time for me to sight in at 500 yds because then I would be @12 inches high at 200 yds. B)

G.M.

Gemini

This long range shooting is not as difficult as people think but you do need a few basics. Range finder, wind meter, 10+ mag scope and a range chart. I have converted a number of fellow stalkers into long range shooting, we do not shoot deer at these ranges but I am sure they would all agree it has made us better shots. The key is to take the guess work out of it and then it is not that difficult.

I have attached a range chart for my .243. The first chart shows the actuals for drop and wind and also the milldot aiming points for the ranges based on a 150 yard zero.

The second chart shows the scope adjustments (1/4" per click @100 yards for my setup) for the required range and wind so I can choose between the two methods. The calculations are made using ballistics software and then verified on targets. You would be amazed how accurate this is - give it a try!!!

Balistics_Sierra_Prohunter_3040_v_2.pdf

Well, I partially relented and put down a deposit on a CZ452 Varmit in 22LR today. Well what does the other half expect when she let's me go un-shaperoned into Avalon Guns? :lol:

cz_452_varm.jpg

Comes with a Hawke 3-10x44 scope and Butler caps. Collect it when I get up that way in a couple of weeks.

Still pondering the .243 low velocity issue but this with a sound mod will be the rabbit gun of choice. Just need to move my spare Winchester Model 74 on to make a space for it. :blink:

Edited by marlin.45

16" I think. about 4" shorter than the sillhouette model.

Std trigger for now but may fit the kit later. Didn't think to haggle about it at the time as I got a good deal on the package.....and all the excitement.........

How much is the kit? Source?

Cheers,

Paul

Edited by marlin.45

Unfortunately everyone seems to be forgetting the basics of what we are allowed to shoot with a particular rifle.

If your FAC states that your .243 is for fox or deer then you can only shoot fox or deer, otherwise you are not complying with your conditions. :thumbs:

And if anyone actually thinks that they will get a condition on their ticket to shoot rabbits with a .243 (reduced loads or not) then they are living in cloud Cookoo land. :D:D:/

G.M.

Gemini,

Just put another post up regarding my variation for a .243 and yep you're right. No allowance permitted for smaller than fox. Tried to argue but getting no where :lol: Support your legal point all the way.

Kip,

I'll take a look at you link and bookmark. Bit hypothetical now but could be useful.

Cheers,

Paul

Unfortunately everyone seems to be forgetting the basics of what we are allowed to shoot with a particular rifle.

If your FAC states that your .243 is for fox or deer then you can only shoot fox or deer, otherwise you are not complying with your conditions. 

And if anyone actually thinks that they will get a condition on their ticket to shoot rabbits with a .243 (reduced loads or not) then they are living in cloud Cookoo land.

Gemini

My FAC seems to be more flexible then than most.

The xxxxx rifles and ammunition shall be used for shooting vermin and ground game, fox, deer using the appropriate calibre and for zeroing and practice on ranges.

With regard to expanding ammunition it states:

for use only in connection with (1) the lawfull shooting of deer (11) the shooting of vermin or in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife, (111) the humane killing of animals, (iv) the shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to collect my new CZ on Friday only to discover I need permission to buy 'another' .22RF even though I was PX'ing my old Winchester 74 in .22RF.

Well even after having an FAC for 7 years and an SGC for much longer this was the first time I had done a 'like for like' replacement. :<

Spoke with the FEO immediately. He personally left a variation form in my mail box on the way home. Then I dropped all the completed stuff at the station on Sunday. So we'll see if it gets back here by the end of the week so I can collect on Saturday? And they will get my other issue on the .243 sorted - they promise.

Live & learn, eh? :*)