went for a eveing stag

bignoel

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

went out for a stag and got my prize ended up with two nice roe stags one which had a cracking rack on him .well pleased :)

http://img190.imageshack.us/i/picture152j.jpg/

http://img641.imageshack.us/i/picture155p.jpg/

http://img32.imageshack.us/i/picture153rx.jpg/

Cant view these at work but look forward to seeing them tonight, well done

doc

the head was taken off high as was the shot back of his ear his pal was a clear head shot eye ball wrecked the secound head but both clean kills :rolleyes: . al4x not single but you would of thought i was :blush::lol:

Not really the best place to shoot an animal that big- in my opinion- heart or lung shot would have been better me thinks!!!!

Les :)

Good shooting mate!

I think before we all go off on one about someone taking head in stead of heart and lung shots we ought to wait till we know about the shoorers degree of marksmanship and experience! (Having said that I for one am not faulting the head shot as the shooter was obviously confident or he may well not have taken it and opted for the "safer" heart and lung shot in stead!)

Stag's Head shooting!!!!!!!!!! you sound one helluva stalker "NOT"

who said i was a stalker NOT ME. i for one do not collect prize heads and mount them. how ever i do keep the odd rack it is purely meat for me and my shooting buddy head shot spares the meat. i am a very confident shooter else the bucks/stags would still be roaming my deer are shot in the back of the head its a clear miss or a clear kill no broken jaws from this shooter or run on deer with a slighty out of placed heart/lung shot . if you want to shoot deer for prize's then do so i have no beef with trophy hunters :)

How many time's have i heard that "ONLY HEAD OR NECK" Deer a "CLEAN MISS" or "CLEAN KILL" what a crock or bull. Deer are living breathing moving target's "NOT A PAPER TARGET" last season alone i shot two Fallow with shattered jaw's and one with a blowen out wind pipe all from one locally Head neck shot expert. As for the back of the head shot, i saw a Munty Doe from 60yr's lose the side of it'd head and ear (it moved) the horrific noise that Munty made was unreal untill it could be shot again. Yes i have made mistake's and probally will in the future. Give the Animals the respect they deserve

i am not going to get into a argument with you .the lad blowing jaws and windpipes out should not be shooting. heart and lung shots i have witnessd i dont like run ons and finding the deer heavin for breath no thank you. i kill out right with the back of head there is no part of the back of the head that will be removed and leave a deer standing running etc .a well placed shot by a confident shooter i dont pull the trigger unless i am 100% safe on the shot or placement .as i said i dont collect trophys so a rack can go in the shot does,nt matter to me the welfare of the animal matters more to me clean KILL. respect your quarry atb noel

i am not going to get into a argument with you .the lad blowing jaws and windpipes out should not be shooting. heart and lung shots i have witnessd i dont like run ons and finding the deer heavin for breath no thank you. i kill out right with the back of head there is no part of the back of the head that will be removed and leave a deer standing running etc .a well placed shot by a confident shooter i dont pull the trigger unless i am 100% safe on the shot or placement .as i said i dont collect trophys so a rack can go in the shot does,nt matter to me the welfare of the animal matters more to me clean KILL. respect your quarry atb noel

So going what you have said you must have a 100% kill ratio on one of your replys you said I either have a clean kill or clean miss how do you know 100% your shot will go cleanly over or to side of the head not below eg the jaw etc.

I am not having a go just intrested as you may have a very good reason for your view that I have not been aware of.

I have thought about trying to shoot head shots myself but for a manner of reason always go for the standard heart lung shot as recommended by BASC.

Kind regards OTH

back of the head you are not faceing side on yes a 100% kill on all my deer and it is not a lot of deer a year only as required . there seems to be a problem with out right kills on here for some reason or is it because i dont want head trophys :good: when a deer presents his head correct for me and i am 100% sure its a safe shot and a well placed shot i will take it . as stated i dont like run ons or windpipe pops clean kill thats me .

I and my colleagues shoot a lot of deer of all species with the exception of Sika (none in this area) and most of the time we head or neck shoot them as most of them go to the game dealers who knock the price if the carcase is damaged. Given the numbers we shoot, 100’s per annum, we couldn’t physically eat enough to keep the freezers empty.

Now for the debate; when we stalk we use fieldcraft to get close to the deer, most are certainly shot at less than 150m or less than 100m and for a good marksman that should not be a problem. Although it’s a job we still enjoy the thrill of the chase and getting in amongst the deer. My .243 is zeroed at 100m and I can consistently shoot cloverleaf groups with it. If we’re at all unsure about the shot then it’d be heart shot but I have to say head/neck shot the beast goes down dead and is easy to pick up, heart shot they often jump/run even though they’re dead and they can be a nightmare to find especially if the light is going.

Having said that I’d never want to see an inexperienced shot take a beast with anything other than the heart shot and quite frankly there are stalkers who I’d not want to take shots at all...remember there’s no test involved in getting an FAC and plenty do who shouldn’t have!

Oh and by the way BN...a male Roe is a buck not a stag!

Normally with a missed placed rib shot, the chance of recovering the Deer is high. Head and neck messed up shot result in a long slow death due to the fact they can run very well. Again rearing it's ugly head "The game Dealer pay's more for Head Neck shot Deer" Change your Game Dealer better still go Competition shooting with a 100% record you will earn a fortune!!!!!!!!!!!! I my self learnt the hard way, rear head/necked a Fallow droped to shot went to check the eye's for death, up get's the deer offering KNOW chance of a shot lost forever. And yes the trend does seem to be (in my area at least) Deer mean MONEY so totally inexperienced rifle shot by advice from his F.A.O get's a D.S.C.1 Then a deer rifle in my oppion a recipe for disaster As for me i cull 150-200 Deer from mid October and March to my own Rfle.

Normally with a missed placed rib shot, the chance of recovering the Deer is high. Agreed Head and neck messed up shot result in a long slow death due to the fact they can run very well. So only take the shot if you're sure. Again rearing it's ugly head "The game Dealer pay's more for Head Neck shot Deer" Change your Game Dealer better still go Competition shooting with a 100% record you will earn a fortune!!!!!!!!!!!! a) I only ever shoot paper when zeroing, I have no interest in competition shooting and was not trying to be clever just factual :lol: my job involves deer stalking and my game dealer takes deer from me all through the seasons at a good price but even when the price is low I still have to offload the deer so c) NO money is not the object other than I've a living to earn. I my self learnt the hard way, rear head/necked a Fallow droped to shot went to check the eye's for death, up get's the deer offering KNOW chance of a shot lost forever. And yes the trend does seem to be (in my area at least) Deer mean MONEY so totally inexperienced rifle shot by advice from his F.A.O get's a D.S.C.1 Then a deer rifle in my oppion a recipe for disaster Again agreed even if your wording is a bit garbled! :good: . As for me i cull 150-200 Deer from mid October and March to my own Rfle.

No issues with head shots in the right hands - I take plenty myself but they are only one option and should only be used when conditions dictate and not as the only shot.

What I do take exception to is the absolute BS spouted by noel that back of head guarantees a 100% kill or 100% miss. Absolute and utter unadulterated TOSH. Easy to go up the side of the head and do significant damage without killing the deer - which will then run and run, before more than likely lying up somewhere secluded to die a lingering death.

But then what can you expect from the "sportsman" who bragged about shooting a fox at 60 yards with 6 shot.

Can I say that I've shot with BN on many occasions and I'd like to point out that he's more than capable of a clean kill whatever the quarry. No need to jump down people throats, so its a Buck not a Stag :blink: ***, you guys are all to quick to criticize in my opinion and thats why I dont come on here much as I use too because people are too worried about what some of will say in return... :P BN spends a lot of time out in the field and always like to share experiences with likeminded people, if you have nothing else to say then can I suggest you raise your right hand and clasp it tightly over your mouth :hmm:

Rant Over

Edited by Stamford

No issues with head shots in the right hands - I take plenty myself but they are only one option and should only be used when conditions dictate and not as the only shot.

What I do take exception to is the absolute BS spouted by noel that back of head guarantees a 100% kill or 100% miss. Absolute and utter unadulterated TOSH. Easy to go up the side of the head and do significant damage without killing the deer - which will then run and run, before more than likely lying up somewhere secluded to die a lingering death.

But then what can you expect from the "sportsman" who bragged about shooting a fox at 60 yards with 6 shot.

you must be placeing your shot wrong if you cant kill a deer out right with a back of the head shot christ who said i am a stalker . and yes i did take a fox out at 60 yrds it was dead dead in front of the farmer who was chuffed to **** with it . if you cant gurantee your shot dont take it my opinion hasnt failed yet and i shall carry on doing what i do and when i need to. with out posting any more detailed shots or pic's on here .atb noel

Highlander comment's where not aimed at you :blink: I have and some time's need to take Head or neck shot's but not on every occasion i go to shoot a Deer. We can all well most shoot good group's on paper living moving Quarry is different and i am "NO" exception to this rule. Clearing up after any meessed shot is bad but the Head and neck cock up's well enough said.