went for a eveing stag

bignoel

Head shots, Heart lung shots, anyone who has a 100% kill rate doesnt shoot alot of deer or thinks a deer that runs off is a miss. Shooting is about killing things and sometimes the unplanned happens, its being able to deal with it that counts. We can all clover leaf off bags or bipods resting on a car bonnet but shooting in the field is not like that. Deer are unpredictable and move quickly, the head moves quicker than the body though a clean head shot is more humane than a lung shot. The main point is that we make the right decisions with safety at mind, practice and use the most reliable and accurate kit we can afford, and finally make our best efforts to finish what we started as humanely as possible.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoot off bipod to make sure rifle is the very best zero I can get BUT then also shoot off sticks at paper to check I can be (almost) as accurate as that’s probably the worst option I’m likely to get in the field. And no I’d never claim to get it right 100% of the time but trying to achieve that is no bad thing! Always...’if in doubt, leave it out’ OR take a heart shot. If you miss that which is what, a 5” circle at 100m, then you should take up golf!

My only problem with ‘occassional’ stalkers is there’s no ‘management’ of the deer and bucks are taken at random which in the long term isn’t good for the quality of the herd. It’s bad practice and leads eventually to too many poor quality deer, which is generally the situation on a lot of ground today. By all means take good buck/stags but shooting all and sundry on sight without a proper ‘cull’ target will lead to problems.

no one is shooting willy nilly at these bucks .things do get blown out of perportion [sp] on this site i do not manage a herd or do i want to what i do do is lisearn to my farmer who gave me permission he says they go go they do deer on my license clean kills what is everyones problem on here ,

no one is shooting willy nilly at these bucks .things do get blown out of perportion [sp] on this site i do not manage a herd or do i want to what i do do is lisearn to my farmer who gave me permission he says they go go they do deer on my license clean kills what is everyones problem on here ,

My first Deer ever i neck shot, dropped to shot perfect. Then got the Biggest talking to of my life all of which i thought was rubbish Me stating and thinking what's the problem. Not to long after this first Deer the fact's i had been warned about came true i poll axed a head shot deer only for it to get up and go offering no chance of a shot, lost for ever to die a slow death. With a rib shot YES you can lose a piece of meat SO WHAT and Yes i have screwed this shot, not very nice for us with a conscience BUT in MOST cases, Rib messed up shot's if allowed to do so Deer will lay up and stiffen (yes it's suffering NOT NICE) then offering the chance of a Killing shot. With "HEAD or NECK" screw up's, Side of head's go, wind pipe blowen out, these Deer can drop to shot and give the shooter no cause for concern only then recover and get away. In most case lost forever and dieing a horrific death. I learnt the hard way, and most people who have shot numbers (a lot of deer) will have done and will have the balls to admit this.

Trust me a Head or neck shot offers more risk than a rib shot no matter who you are or how good with your rifle. This is just my honest op pion. Not jumping on the band wagon of other's. You might shot x number no prob's but when you scew up it will be horrific for the deer and should also be for you

Noel - you clearly didn't read (or understand??) my earlier post.

I am not having a pop over head shots - time and a place for them and only the person behind the trigger can make that decision.

What I was being critical of was your frankly stupid statement:

my deer are shot in the back of the head its a clear miss or a clear kill no broken jaws

Back of head shots are like any other head shot - there is a risk of wounding without killing. Don't kid yourself it's any other way.

The head is the most mobile part of the deer and a lot can happen between your brain saying "pull the trigger" and the shot actually being taken. In reality, it's only a fraction of a second. But that's all it takes for a deer to twitch or turn its head. Which could result in jawed or injured deer in the same way that a side on head shot can. Don't forget, you can also jaw a deer from behind - it doesn't need be side on - if you're a touch wide of the mark (not much room for error on a small target) then you can take the side of the jaw off and won't necessarily kill the deer.

Not getting into Noels situation as it may well have been a perfectly reasonable shot for him to take in the circumstances.

But I will back up Boyd 100% on what he says, I too have messed up a headshot, and when I saw the animal stagger back to its feet and run off with its lower jaw bouncing off its throat I felt almost phsyically sick. And the shot was a perfact back of head shot, sixty yards off sticks, pulled it a couple of inches to the right (it may have moved not sure tbh) and ran the bullet down the side of its face, neatly knocking the bottom jaw off so it was only hanging on by flesh and skin. Luckily for the deer and my conscience there was snow on the ground and I was able to track it 400 yards into the next wood and was able to do the job properly second time round. After the initial 60 yards there was very little blood, maybe half a dozen small drops, until it laid up in cover.

If a chest shot is a few inches out you still have a dead deer to collect, with a head or neck shot when (not if) it goes wrong you have a serious problem, all four legs are still working, its circulatory system is still working and its nervous system is still working, and as already mentioned there can be very little if any blood for yourself or a dog to trail.

the welfare of the animal matters more to me clean KILL. respect your quarry atb noel

But then what can you expect from the "sportsman" who bragged about shooting a fox at 60 yards with 6 shot.

:good: So you can kill 10 out of 10 foxes with 6`s at 60yds :good:

your just a **** dont go there again H

No need to call people names, just answer the question please !

henry d why are trying to pick a fight as always you just cant be normal can you evey time i put up some thing in you pop on your one man witch hunt i do belive this is about a head shot deer and not a fox or is about shooting foxes in traps with air rifles . and yes i did answer your questions every time . i also kept your pm's now climb back into your rocking chair and chill out you are boreing me with your bitchiness .

henry d why are trying to pick a fight as always you just cant be normal can you evey time i put up some thing in you pop on your one man witch hunt i do belive this is about a head shot deer and not a fox or is about shooting foxes in traps with air rifles . and yes i did answer your questions every time . i also kept your pm's now climb back into your rocking chair and chill out you are boreing me with your bitchiness .

I must say bignoel seems to get a hard time from some members on here :good: even though shooting deer isnt my thing,cut the chap some slack,and stop the witch hunt :lol: BB

Edited by Bluebarrels

I have no problem with what you do, and I am not a stalker so I can't add anything to the debate.

I am though a hunter, are pictures like the ones you have posted really necessary? I'm sure if you wanted to take pictures showing the head and or horns could have been done in a less controversial way! This just gives anti's amo we don't want them to have. Just my opinion.

If I remember correctly, THIS was the last thread I replied to of yours.

However, you seem to not be able to understand the most simple of arguments. You stated that the welfare of an animal is imperative.

Yet you shot a fox at 60 yds with No.6 shot.

I asked, in a round about way, if that was respect.

Then you go and say "your just a **** dont go there again H"

If I`m boring you, sorry, however I just don`t seem to be getting through to you and as you are a pest controller and a professional, I am at loss to be able to offer a better way of explaining it to you.

Correct me if I`m wrong but it`s under 2 years ago you got your .243/.222 mentor ?

it is under 2 yrs and so what ?? does that make me a lesser shooter than you .you seem to have a grudge against me for some reason O yeah it was because of my grammer spelling etc was,nt it .its a pity i cant write as good as i shoot the world would be a better place full of henry d's christ man take a back seat you just drum up arguments again and again your boreing me again . get a rifle take up shooting you will find its wey better than WITCH HUNTING .

That's a nice shot on your Buck Noel. As you say you're not a trophy hunter so the head doesn't matter, but please don't go through life thinking a shot to the back of the head can't go wrong.

If you get your shot right you'll not lose much meat from the ribs. If you get it wrong you will, but at least the Deer can't run too far and you get to keep the rest of it rather than maybe lose the lot.

I don't think Henry has a grudge against you. You've posted a couple of things that don't look good and he's pushing the point perhaps? It's all too easy to feel confident when you're new to the game (I am too so no problems there) but now and again it pays to listen to people who've been at the game for a lot longer. They've seen things that may seem impossible to you. It's a lot better to learn from their mistakes rather than make your own. :lol: