Almost got the FAC

JJaxeman

Sorry to put it so bluntly but have you seroiusly considered getting a .17HMR, it will do everything a .22lr will do mostly a lot better. You may still have time to change your mind before your cert arrives, it will cost you money if in 6 months time you decide you want one.

Edited by peck

Sorry to put it so bluntly but have you seroiusly considered getting a .17HMR, it will do everything a .22lr will do mostly a lot better. You may still have time to change your mind before your cert arrives, it will cost you money if in 6 months time you decide you want one.

there is absolutely no replacement for a 22rimfire in anyones collection, it forfills a almost completely solo market: rimfire (cheap) and subsonic (quiet), nothing else does this, the hmr is cheap, but its noisey (supersonic, dosent matter how noisey the muzzle noise is) the hmr might have 75 yards at least on the rimfire for effective range, and might give you the ability to take chest shots if you dont want meat. but its supersonic, which is in my opinion its real problem.

im not saying it hasnt got its place for long range bunny and crow control. but i could not recomend to anyone that they get a hmr over a 22lr. you need a rimfire to do quiet discrete rabbit control in area's which are too close to civilisation to use a supersonic round.

as for the cz 452, for the money you cannot get a more accurate, well built new gun. ive had mine just short of a year, and would not replace it if i had the choice. it might not be as attractive as say a sako finfire, but its got 99% of the performance, and the aesthetics are fine, and i would rather £200 change than a gun which looks a bit better.

get the brooks kit, no matter what people say about the standard triggers, the brooks kit improoves it alot, and more often than not it needs alot of improving.

other things to watch out for, the cz's are aften not floated properly (normally touching down the right hand side) the guns are very easy to alter the point of zero on with a change in tightness on the front most screw, i have found that everytime the gun is removed from the wood i need to spend a few rounds on the range finding the correct tightness for it to get those mashed 1 hole groups.

When I first got my .17hmr, I couldn’t get over how good it was on those 125yd rabbits, and left my .22 in the cabinet.

At one point I almost considered selling the .22rf, until one afternoon I took it out for a quiet day in the woods for a bit of squirrel huntin’.

It was a great day out with 50 yd shots being the maximum, and when I wasn’t shooting tree rats I was plinking into the bank on the other side of the little field that runs alongside the wood.

Made me realise that there is no substitute for a moderated .22 rimfire and a box of sub’s for a couple of hours of pure silent (and cheap) enjoyment. :oops:

If you decide to go down the “Used” .22 rf route, take care to inspect the bolt face and breech face. These are the crucial bits to watch out for (the crown can be easily re-cut and refinished with a bit of W&D and a marble).

On some old worn-out .22s the edge of the chamber gets worn away so that the extractor/ejector cut-outs break though into the chamber, which means the cartridge case isn’t supported properly. This leads to all sorts of pressure problems, which translate into vertical stringing over distance.

Excessive headspacing is also a bad thing to watch out for and can only really be detected if you have access to a set of headspace gauges. No more than 46 thou’ is really desirable in a sporter; 42 thou’ in a match rifle.

(If you buy a 10-22 then forget about headspacing, because the 10-22 fires from any ******* headspace it feels like)

Then try and see if the bore is clean and free from any rust stains, because these will pick up lead from shooting. And then the shots will become erratic until cleaned out, at which point the pick-up will start all over again.

Some of the older BRNOs will be very loose in their stocks and will have to be re-bedded to ensure a proper fit, but if the barrel and action are good, then worth the effort if the rifle comes at the right price. (Although triggers may be a problem.)

Don’t buy a gun that has a really badly knocked about look, because it will not have been looked after by the previous owner. And if he can’t be bothered to look after it then gawd knows what the bore is going to be like.

If it looks ****….then it probably IS ****. :rolleyes:

G.M.

i am not nick (but i won't use caps for the answer so it feels like i am him :rolleyes: )

you can get you trigger kit here:

http://cz452.com/

they don't cost much and they are not difficult to fit, you need a good thin pin punch and a small hammer

don't order one just for the sake of it, not all 452 need it, you may get away with just backing the adjustment screw off

get a harris bipod if you can afford one, the sportsman or york guns are best for these, if not get a rockmount from the optics warehouse

I am just awaiting the official licence now since the FEO is very happy with my setup so to speak, I am thinking of going for a CZ452 22LR any one have a problem with that so to speak and money is tight :rolleyes::oops: All help appreciated.

Thanks

Jas

JJ,

If you get a 452 I wouldn't bother getting a secondhand one unless you know who is selling it. They are only 250 quid or so and where you live you can go to Andersons and haggle a bit. They undercut everyone at the Midland Game Fair when I bought mine off them, if you get some other bits at the same time they my round the price down for you too.

If money is that tight and you wnat one off someone you can trust you can by mine (speak to Snake first though :P ) Then I can treat myself to a carbine as a christmas present from me to me :o

i am not nick (but i won't use caps for the answer so it feels like i am him :rolleyes: )

you can get you trigger kit here:

http://cz452.com/

they don't cost much and they are not difficult to fit, you need a good thin pin punch and a small hammer

don't order one just for the sake of it, not all 452 need it, you may get away with just backing the adjustment screw off

get a harris bipod if you can afford one, the sportsman or york guns are best for these, if not get a rockmount from the optics warehouse

harris are very nice, if you can afford one, i cant, i thought about a rockmount, but some said the base piece was brittle, so ended up getting a brocock bipod, it weighs about the same as the harris, and in my opinion for a field bipod is easily as functional, however the springs to return the legs to the upright position (makes sense if you have one) are a bit weak, so the legs are a bit woberly. this is a minor glitch, you will never notice it in the field, only when benchresting (which i use a front stand for anyway)

as stuartp said, straight from the man himself on http://cz452.com/ is cheapest, however york supplies carry them, as well as most rifle specific gun shops

Thanks to all for your help. Once Cert arrives I will be off to get a new CZ452 and I will try Andersons fist for a price cheers Stuart P since as you say they are fairly local and I am going to need a few extra's so hopefully they will do me a deal. :rolleyes:

And I will sort out a trigger kit to.

Cheers

Jas

andersons did me a great deal, at the time the 452 varmint was up for about £250

they sold it to my dad for £225 plus sling, and QD clips

but my old man has spent a few pennies in there over the years, so we tend to get quite a good discount.

great guys anyway, they do a good deal :rolleyes: