Frosty Foggy Hour On The range!

Frank

Went for an hour to my local range. It was foggy and freezing, must of been mad. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, wanted to make sure of my zero at a hundred with the Federal Premium 40 grain Nosler ballistic Tips.

On sunday, i got a half inch group at 100yds, today, using the same box, the group opened slightly to an inch :oops: .

I wonder if the frost and fog had anything to do with it? I could see the target fairly well, but it was still foggy.

Does very cold weather effect things i wonder? :P

Any experiences out their?

Cheers. :o

Frank, i think i have read somewhere about difference in temperature's. I will try and look it out for you.

I know that if you put a few rounds through your rifle, when the barrel gets too hot the accuracy just alter's a fraction, so i'm sure it's the same when it's cold, but will update you when i find the article :rolleyes:

Frank

I would say that a 40 grn projectile doing 3700FPS would'nt be affected by much over 100yds .The POA might alter a fraction due to an extra cold barrel because of the conditions but it would still group consistantly.

A good ballistics program takes in the factor of Sea level for example so air density and temperature are part of the equation when calculating trajectories where accurate long range shooting is required for homeloaders.

Without knowing it Frank may be the conditions affected yourself but a 1" group is still good shooting..........

I have 5 boxes of ammo with the same batch number ........went to the range one day opened a new box and they performed completely different ..........fortunately i still had 5 rds left from the previous card and they were bang on zero so sometimes sticking to the same batch number does'nt always work.............It all depends on what sort of accuracy your looking for as mashing holes at 100yds should be a regular occurrance...............or should it with factory ammo? :rolleyes:

Ive

As you know I am no expert, but I would have thought that even the barrel is cold after a view shot, if that had been the problem the barrel heating up would have brought you back to 1/2 groups.

I have alway thought that moisture in the air would have a slight effect on shooting, I thing it is a gravity thing?? I was told that shooting over water e.g. shooting clays, effected the lead. Never put it to the test.

If you were cold or had been in a rush, this may have made the difference. It may also be Irish flu you know what I mean Frank, the type you get from Guinness :rolleyes::oops:

:rolleyes: I know exactly what you mean Big Dog. :oops: But i had nothing to drink at that time. :o

Stuart, i clean it everytime i use it, so i would say that should not be the problem.

It was foggy and damp, so prehaps that had something to do with it.

But as Ive says, a one inch group is still good for factory ammo, so i wont worry as yet. :P

I will pay a visit to my local range again soon, on a dead calm day, with better conditions and see what happens. :D

Edited by Frank