Shooting Ground

DSPUK

Bit of a ramble this

In bed last night and wide awake as usual and started to think about when I

Started shooting --- That would have been in 1984 and I was 40 at time

Up till then I had never picked up a real gun but soon found I was reasonably good at clay shooting.

In those days in our local evening newspaper “Shropshire Star” every Friday night there was at least half page column of shoots to pick from, so I started to list them in my mind. – Most of these shoots were small club shoot’s shooting under 28 day rule.

I have listed grounds within a 50 mile or so radius of where I live

Ironbridge Gun club ----- Closed a years or so ago.

Sundorn Castle near Shrewsbury ------ closed

Shawbury shooting ground --------------closed

Croxton Gun club at Eccleshall -----------open

Brockton gun club on Much Wenlock to Church Stretton road --open in early summer months

Wrekin Shooting ground - closed- but land is rented in summer by a guy who holds small shoot on Tuesday night.

Gnosal shooting ground---------closed

Acton Pastures ------------closed

Rodbaston college - Open summer evening only

Hook-a-Gate near Shrewsbury --------closed

Hodnet --- Open but as usual only for bigger shoots and Tuesday summer nights.

Bridgenorth Gun club – DTL --- open

Pub shoot not far from above shoot but forgot name – open

Cross Gun club – open

Two grounds close to Cross gun club can’t remember name – closed

Kidderminster Gun club --- open

Hilton gun club and Wergs gun club -- one either side of M6 services at Hilton Park – open

Ground just off Jnc 1 M54 – just a pot shot ground now –

Bridge gun club – near Cannock --- closed

Shugborough --- Open

Ground opposite Shug --- closed

Iilly Gun club – first service on M5 coming from M6 -- closed

Shanty Farm up by Middlewich – closed

Kingsley Moor – open

Brown Edge just outside Stoke --- Closed

Ranton Gun club – Open

Small DTL club on main road from Stafford to Stone – open I think

There was a few clubs up above Stafford but can’t remember where.

Bog at Minsterley – mainly rifle shooting

There was also a club just outside Minsterley but never went there open/closed :good:???

A club just outside Cleobrey Mortimer – hill top or something --- closed

I am sure that Salopian will fill in blanks as we used to shoot together – he has a better memory than me due to being slightly older.

These were pretty good times – most shooting was club shooting with occasional trip to a registered – at that time not many shooters were in CPSA but as time went on more of us became members.

Can’t remember year I joined but I went straight into A class and that was end of my competitive shooting. In them days once in A class there you stayed – not once did I ever shoot good enough to get third never mind first at any of the registered’s so after a few years I went bird only member – That still entitled me to shoot in British and English then fat slug controller of CPSA banned that due to slight possibility a BO shooter got high gun as they realised the BO shooter was entitled to sponsored prizes but obviously not money.

I qualified for a few of the finals in them days – once at Grimsthorpe and once at Shugborough.

Highlights of my shooting – things that stick out in your mind

Joint HG with 48x50 at Cross Gun – I had one card other guy did it with re-entry - £70 each – that was good money in them days

Best pool shoot was at Shawbury – I was late getting there and when I finished no one was on pool so asked Stan if it was on – Yes – what’s in-- load of 9’s – I was up for that – straight in with 10 – that was it – 3/4 hr later the other guys stopped trying and Phil Jarvis put a 10 in – he stood no chance in shoot off.

Biggest High -- English or British at Grimsthorpe – pool shoot – now this was hard – long queue’s to shoot it – scores were zero to 3-4 – came off with a 5 – no where near good enough for 8 that won it but felt good coming off stand.

Biggest low – Hodnet in 2003 or 2005 again English or British – pool shoot – my first and only 10 straight zero’s

That’s it really – been a good 26 yrs – if anyone can remember little old bloke shooting a Winchester 1400 semi with forend held on with cable ties that was me.

Dave

Edited to add two more grounds

Edited by DSPUK

I suppose we are lucky up here....

we have 2 premier grounds.....

but the small local clubs have never really changed

Widdrington Gun Club (mine)

Alnwick and District ...

couple of others that may only shoot once a month,

We are struggling at the moment as we are still getting over a ground move and a 3plus times rent increase.

i started in the 80's...

High light was and still is winning the Fur and Feather trophy in 2005 at Whitfield Charity Shoot (largest charity shoot in the country)....Team flush event, .....4 man team, we hit 49/50 rabbits pelting down a hill in groups of 3 or 4

Low light has been my Disability meaning my shooting will never get back to what it was :good:

shaun

Edited by shaun4860

hi shaun .whats on this w/end.

not that it matters i will still miss most of them :blink:

atb alan

Hi Alan this weekend is the DTL/ABT Competition.....

Dont forget to bring your scabby bargain of a coat to show off....

I also have a fixture list and other stuff for you :hmm:

shaun

sorry for hijacking the thread

Interesting post DSPUK .Did you ever go to county clays (i think it was called) located between newport and stafford at Aqualate. I started my clay shooting there . Real nice chaps who ran it ,cant think of there names now.Really good little shoot They ran a 60 and 100 bird shoot every fortnight, sunday mornings.

Remember the first time i went i handed my card in and he noticed i scored a duck on one stand , so he went out with me and watched me shoot it and told me were i was going wrong .My highlight was winning the 60 birder there with a 56. Wish i could shoot that well now. Ah well.

Interesting post DSPUK .Did you ever go to county clays (i think it was called) located between newport and stafford at Aqualate. I started my clay shooting there . Real nice chaps who ran it ,cant think of there names now.Really good little shoot They ran a 60 and 100 bird shoot every fortnight, sunday mornings.

Remember the first time i went i handed my card in and he noticed i scored a duck on one stand , so he went out with me and watched me shoot it and told me were i was going wrong .My highlight was winning the 60 birder there with a 56. Wish i could shoot that well now. Ah well.

B325

Yes I missed that one - put it on the list as Gnosal shooting ground -- spent a few happy days there - collected a number of plastic Trophy's -- guy that ran it has died so I am told.

Keep them coming if I have missed any more.

Dave

• 2 years later...

DSPUK,

Rodbaston closed two years ago, agri college with anti gun governors. They didn't really want shooting there at all.

Royal Oak has taken over on Wednesday nights in the summer, last one next week. Also open every other Sunday.

There is still a little old bloke shooting that same Winchester 1400 but I have removed the tywrap.

Remember me shooting those Hull Chevrons at Stan's Shawbury shoot ? Couldn't hit a thing so you gave me some Winchester Blues and shot the Chevron's yourself, well you shot two of them and missed so we then had a round trip of fifty miles to take them back and swapped the Chevrons for ANYTHING else.

There was also that farm shoot at Shipley by the Royal Oak, it's now a fruit farm but no shooting ground. I remember you beating me on the Pool shoot there, by shooting three cartridges whenever necessary to beat my score.

Didn't it used to be £5 for fifty in those days?

This post is now well over two years old and it is enevitable grounds will close - There is no other way in this day and age -

Salopian - I could always beat you even with my eyes closed so no reason to use three cartridges. - I am sure they wasn't Chevrons but Cheapskates made by Cheapo cartridge company. :yes: :yes:

Dave :good: :good: