Sako quad has landed.

Down South

Well I did it, baught a .17 hmr Sako quad. Pricey I know but I got a good deal after I couldn't settle on the CZ model I wanted. Scope mounted last night so out to the field today to zero in.

Remington 17 v-max, 5 rounds at 25 yds, near enough. Out to 100 yds and start bringing it in. 2 groups of 3 getting there but both strung vertical,not sure why. Adjust a bit more and I lost it completely, sod it. I think I was gripping the fore end and barrel shotgun style.

Start again with Hornaday 20 xtp hollow points at 50 yds, well off, tweek it, shots 7,8 & 9 all in 1.5" circle but still a verticle. It could be that I'm using the truck spare wheel as my rest.

Had enough for now and need to try it for real, Muuuussst kill!

Bunny at 75 yards, free standing, bang, dead, amazing. The fog has come down and vis is getting poor!

The rifle is a treat to use, smooth short action bolt, crisp trigger and well ballanced. The week end can't come quick enough.

Any ideas on vertical stringing?

Don't forget to run the barrel in as you would a Centrefire. Also regarding flexing of the stock you must try the paper or card between barrel and stock when the rifle is in the shooting position not unrestrained. I would imagine having handled one that the stock could easily flex with some pressure applied.

Rgds

JRDS

Could be a little excess head-space. Try undoing the bolts that hold the barrel in place and allowing it to settle back onto the face of the bolt. This will remove all available headspace from the bolt and should still allow the round to chamber easily enough.

Also remember that this a new barrel and will need to be run in properly. Shoot and clean for the first 10 shots and then after every 5 shots for the next 20 rounds, and then after every 10 shots until you have put a box of ammo through it. A Sako won’t take too long to settle, but you will always get better results if the barrel has been conditioned from the off.

My .17hmr took @ 150 shots to settle, but is now putting them into ½ inch at 100 yds easily. :rolleyes:

G.M.

Edited by Gemini