SG Buckshot

I've been looking for a while but can only seem to find 36gr, in one instance I found a 34gr load but why can't I find any magnums?

Had a look on Sellier & Bellot but can't even make any sence out of their size systems, even after reading their 'key'. :yes:

If you must know, the wheelbarrow numbers are alarmingly high :hmm:

thanks in advance! :lol:

they aren't restricted but only real use was on deer. They can also ricochet quite badly, i've used them years ago on muntjacs and they do kill well but the pattern is frankly awful not worth buying for anything these days

they aren't restricted but only real use was on deer. They can also ricochet quite badly, i've used them years ago on muntjacs and they do kill well but the pattern is frankly awful not worth buying for anything these days

I wasnt planning on using them without a good backstop, I guessed they'd give a bad ricochet but they'd go straight through a mouldy 'barrow and I wouldn't be shooting near trees :yes:

Very careful when it comes to that stuff :hmm:

thanks for the advice anyway, I still want to try them if I can get ahold, I have it on good authority that the yanks all use full choke with SG, not sure about with magnum loads though... then again I doubt it would make a difference.

I notice from a recent thread on here that us Brits are mostly over-cautious about bigger then usual shot through anything over half choke :lol:

What chokes did you use out of interest when you had your bad pattern experience al4x?

Shuck

9 ball (US 00Buck) is used for IPSC shotgun shooting (PSG) in the UK we use it at UKPSA approved matches, we only use 9 ball due to the fact it can be used in conjunction with paper & cardboard targets on ranges with suitable backstops & score the highest two scoring hits.

00 Buckshot can travel much further than regular birdshot & remains lethal at many times the normal distance of regular clay & game loadings.

Please be carefull where you use it.

I use two brands, Gamebore Buffallo is a good one, its a 32g load of 9 balls each 8.1mm

The other is the Remington Reduced Recoil Buckshot this load is 8 balls of 8.1mm

You can buy them using a normal SGC from shops that stock it.

N

Cheers Neil, I'll be extra careful about my backstop in that case!

I was looking at the GB Buffalo on my search, is 36g the heaviest load you can get in '00' in these parts then?

Also, what chokes do you use when you shoot the SGs? Are they really that bad for patterns?

I was looking at the GB Buffalo on my search, is 36g the heaviest load you can get in '00' in these parts then?

Also, what chokes do you use when you shoot the SGs? Are they really that bad for patterns?

if it's just for wheelbarrows :yes: would a 50g load of BBs not be more suited

You tell me mate, I'm on a quest to broaden my horizons.. never shot any 50gs of ANYTHING :yes:

sounds painful..

where can I get em?? :lol:

well here's one

http://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/products/game/solway_12.cfm

and oz, next time I make it down, you're going to have to demonstrate this bucky-shot :hmm:

Edited by shot shot

I've been looking for a while but can only seem to find 36gr, in one instance I found a 34gr load but why can't I find any magnums?

If you are talking 3" magnums, then it is due to column height. Due to the diameter of the shot and the way they stack, you are limited to column height.

Shuck

The 00 Buckshot is what many US police & military shotguns are loaded with, its used against bad guys & there are many reports concerning its lethal effects at extended ranges so its needs some respect.

Don't choke it to tight or you will be trying to squash it too much, the pellets are usually stacked in three layers of three, I get better patterns with Improved Cylinder choke, however at extended ranges due to there only being 9 pellets you simply wont get the pattern density to get reliable hits on small targets.

Remingtons 8 ball buck patterns better due to the lower velocity & one less pellet fighting for space down the barrel, however at £1 a shot its not cheap.

Federal make a 9 ball buckshot that is called flight control, this has a special wad that keeps the pellets enclosed within it for longer & so improving its pattern at greater ranges, however as it is not allowed in IPSC shotgun matches due to the damage it does to the steel plate targets at close range, I don't know of anyone who sells it over here.

Contact Pete Starley an RFD Nr Warwick, he stocks Buffalo & Remington Buckshot.

N

The SG is virtually useless for anything but point blank shooting, where it is devastating.

A conventional 1 1/8 oz load (9 balls) will develop around 1940-1960ft lb, put VERY simply energy wise, that is like being hit by 9 x 9mm pistol rounds simultaneously.

Problem is, as the range increases, accuracy decreases dramatically, at 50 yards a deer "could" walk clean through the pattern of a SG (and a fox probably would).

Nevertheless, the shot does retain its energy pretty well, and if you happen to hit anything at distance you will likely make a mess of it!

:good:

Sg will reach its target at 50m,(not all the balls will make it though) ,I bought some once for a pair of foxes,who I thought were working as a team hence multishot. I camped out in a hen house,got one,never saw tother. I did some ballistics tests and if u put a target up at 50m on a ploughed field that the sun has gotten to and with suitable backstop danger area etc wen u fire u can see about 4 balls drop short of target, hitting the dry mud some drop quite short of the target,but at 50m between 4-6 balls make it ! , I wouldent wanna be standing there!

Wow, I was on that site earlier and it said the 36gr were about medium recoil... these ones are 'firm' :lol:

I should try them out too :good:

If you are talking 3" magnums, then it is due to column height. Due to the diameter of the shot and the way they stack, you are limited to column height.

I was thinking something like this but after more looking I found the sites with the yanks using them for target practice, they were 3" '00' magnums..

It's looking like I'd need to get them from the states if I was that bothered, they would be quite expensive anyway I imagine though

Shuck

The 00 Buckshot is what many US police & military shotguns are loaded with, its used against bad guys & there are many reports concerning its lethal effects at extended ranges so its needs some respect.

Don't choke it to tight or you will be trying to squash it too much, the pellets are usually stacked in three layers of three, I get better patterns with Improved Cylinder choke, however at extended ranges due to there only being 9 pellets you simply wont get the pattern density to get reliable hits on small targets.

Remingtons 8 ball buck patterns better due to the lower velocity & one less pellet fighting for space down the barrel, however at £1 a shot its not cheap.

Federal make a 9 ball buckshot that is called flight control, this has a special wad that keeps the pellets enclosed within it for longer & so improving its pattern at greater ranges, however as it is not allowed in IPSC shotgun matches due to the damage it does to the steel plate targets at close range, I don't know of anyone who sells it over here.

Contact Pete Starley an RFD Nr Warwick, he stocks Buffalo & Remington Buckshot.

N

I've just had a look and found some 36g SG in Express' "Super Game" range, - £9.75 for 25, have you ever tried these, they sound a lot cheaper.. very cheap actually??

The flight control sounds like a good idea but thinking about it I wouldn't be shooting them at longer ranges, granted - they will probably give a better pattern at whatever the range but I'm not going to be using them on live game so I'm not that fussed at not being able to get on target with every cartridge, plus they look about the same £1 a round as the 8 ball buck so what do you think?

I wanted to put a cardboard sheet with a good backstop to play about with my chokes but £1 a round.. :good:

The SG is virtually useless for anything but point blank shooting, where it is devastating.

A conventional 1 1/8 oz load (9 balls) will develop around 1940-1960ft lb, put VERY simply energy wise, that is like being hit by 9 x 9mm pistol rounds simultaneously.

Problem is, as the range increases, accuracy decreases dramatically, at 50 yards a deer "could" walk clean through the pattern of a SG (and a fox probably would).

Nevertheless, the shot does retain its energy pretty well, and if you happen to hit anything at distance you will likely make a mess of it!

:good:

I'm only having them for a bit of fun testing out various chokes, possibly fruits.. :yes:

I won't be shooting at any Foxes (unless the pattern is extremely consistent and a good few rounds put through them.. and certainly not Deer!

Thanks for all the advice everybody, particularly conscerning safety as I'm not familiar with this type of ammo

Happy shootin!!

Sg will reach its target at 50m,(not all the balls will make it though) ,I bought some once for a pair of foxes,who I thought were working as a team hence multishot. I camped out in a hen house,got one,never saw tother. I did some ballistics tests and if u put a target up at 50m on a ploughed field that the sun has gotten to and with suitable backstop danger area etc wen u fire u can see about 4 balls drop short of target, hitting the dry mud some drop quite short of the target,but at 50m between 4-6 balls make it ! , I wouldent wanna be standing there!

That sounds pretty impressive, I'll have to test a few at that distance.. how big was your target @ 50m?

Shuck

The Express 36g will do what you want it for, I have used them in the past, I have even been around the factory on a visit one time to see them made, we dont use them for PSG simply because they are quite long when compared to other brands & dont fit our shell caddies.

Again I cant stress enough that you need to be carefull where you launch them.

ATB

N

talking about its devastating effects we had a guy murdered a good few years back fairly near me and they used SSG's to start with they didn't realise he had been shot because at close range it didn't look like any gunshot wound they had ever seen. Dangerous stuff and about as lethal as any weapon you can get your hands on

Edited by al4x

talking about its devastating effects we had a guy murdered a good few years back fairly near me and they used SSG's to start with they didn't realise he had been shot because at close range it didn't look like any gunshot wound they had ever seen. Dangerous stuff and about as lethal as any weapon you can get your hands on

I hear ya alex, I haven't got my FAC yet but I'm aware the SG cartridges have pretty big pellets which is why I'm treating it with utmost respect, but with my setup I can account for all pellets leaving the barrel, and will be in extra high alert mode when I have them in the chamber.

Thanks for sharing Al, it's made me feel more cautious :good:

It's a fairly safe site anyway and there shouldn't be any problems.

I do a lot of pattern testing of 'fowling loads.I found two Winchester 2 3/4" 00 buck and I patterned one at 60 yards on my steel plate usinf full choke,Xtrema 2, 7 hits inside the 30" circle and bloody great dents.Recoil was mild.These would be absolutely devastating on anything and it shows they can shoot very well.I intend to work a heavy load up for my ten or twelve,cause muntys are getting naughty.