X-Trail

Bingo

I need a new car and would really like to get something that allows me to drive off road, nothing too serious, just across the odd field, maybe a bit of lamping etc. However the car will largely be used on road, it will be our second car so at times will have to transport 2 kids, a dog and a wife. I have done a little research and the Nissan X-Trail ticks the most boxes (even though I would like a defender because they are cool). Anyway do any of you drive x-trails and do they meet your shooting needs?

Cheers

Not a lot of Clearance on the x trail- more suited to road use in my opinion- have you thought about a Discovery perhaps?? good for on / Off road and diesel to boot

Ive had 3 or 4 and loved E'm all

Les :good:

Hi Les,

Yes had a Disco in the past but it wasnt a good experience, it broke down several times and having it repaired was not cheap. It cost me 7K so was not old :good: . So not going there again...

I am currently on my second xtrail,

First was an 03 sport model, 112 bhp, 16" wheels which meant you could get "proper" off road tyres for it (215/65/16) , did about 33mpg around the doors and 45mpg on a run (about 60-65 mph), bags of room inside for all your kit, dogs etc, large sunroof for lamping out of, ok for grass/stubble type fields but no good for proper wet muddy fields as it has no low range box.

This one is an 07 aventura model, 136 bhp, 17" wheels which means off road tyres are a nono (215/60/17), does about 30mpg round the doors and 45mpg on a run (about 60-65 mph), same room inside, higher spec (leather, cruise control etc) same as other one off road and still no low range box.

Only bother i had with the first one was the air flow meter packed in but due to a bit of arm twisting from a mate got it sorted for £50 i did 30k in that one and it had 100k on when i sold it, this one had 21k when i bought it and now has 27k, no reliability issues as yet (fingers crossed)

Ground clearance on both is ok, (avoid one with side steps on or remove them as it knocks about 5" off your clearance.

If your going to be going "proper" off roading then forget it......buy something with a low box and diff locks but as a compromise then i think they are great...

Hope it helps

Shaun

Shaun,

I will only be using it on farm tracks, across grass etc. I dont think the farmer appreciates people driving across muddy fields and yes in reality I see it as a compromise (as really would like defender) but am encouraged by your experience - especially as reliability will be key :oops: .

Thanks

:yes: X-Trails have alot of turbo problems :yes: so be carefull a mate of mines only had 19k when it blew up :yes:

I bet your mate got it fixed free of charge though...

I think its a case of you can say this about most cars, there will always be someone who knows someone who has had a problem with one model or another.

my last xtrail had 100k when i sold it and still on original turbo,

this one has 27k on and appears to be ok.

If i recall nissan have extended the warranty on their x-trail turbo's to 6 years so most should be ok.

shaun

Edited by shaun4860

You can pick up a decent used M Class merc for that money, it will do what you want and in comfort.

Maybe but what sort economy will you get...its important these days of almost daily fuel price rises.....

anyway he wants an x-trail so ner! :good:

shaun (x-trail owner)

Edited by shaun4860

Hi

Ive got an xtrail on a 57 plate and its done about 27k

have not had any probs other than a rear windscreen wiper problem which was under warranty.

I use it for day to day driving and shooting, so it has got me through muddy fields on the way to clay shoots and muddy tracks on farms. Behaved very well during all the snow also.

Ideal car for me :good:

so far no problems

A friend has an 02 plate about 70k on it and has not had any problem with his.

Both of us wouldnt hesitate to get another

• 5 weeks later...

A couple of shooting mates them use to great success, both have the turbo diesel models, and I've seen neither of them stuck. Thinking of getting one for the Mrs as a daily driver soon, as I fancy going back to some faster stuff :good: