.25 Cal.

deputy dog

Right lads due to a bit of recent ill health and a cancelled holiday. I have found myself with quite a bit of spare cash floating about. Which sort of got my juices flowing again to get back into the airgun scene. Iv got a Fac so i was thinking of getting a .25cal Fac Theoben Rapid 12. My question to you is ?. What is the best pressure to get this gun set at for optimum accuary and least amount of recoil. I say about the recoil because although these types of guns are supposed to be recoiless sub Fac rate. I wouldn't think that a gun with an high pressure power unit pushing out an hefty weighted pellet would not make some sort of recoil whilst shooting. Any advice given on guns, ammo or any thing else you think could put me in good stead getting me back into this greatly missed style of shooting. Would be graefully recieved and put to good use.

Cheers to one an all

Gareth :good::lol::hmm:

Gareth mate, before you buy a .25 calibre, think about it first. You will be handicapped with not much good .25 ammo

available, far better to go the.22 route really as you can get heavyweight up to 30g and quite a few makes in 21g

using a 30fpounds fac I knock over rabbits up to 50 yards away, (and miss a few as well.) :oops:

Hi Gareth, i have a .25 rapid @48fpe or 825fps using H&N Barracuda 31grn pellets ,

its deadly accurrate out to 75 yds and hits very hard in deed you can get one direct from the theoben factory or like me have Ben Taylor build it , gareth if you want any info on ,25s if you are amember of the rapid owners forum or the airgun bbs forum a guy called verminhunter is an expert on the.25calibre ,the above power and pellet combination

are the ultimate .25 settings for power with accuracy, which means accuracy is the no-1 thing, if you want any more info pls pm or email me.

atb brian

Hi Gareth, i have a .25 rapid @48fpe or 825fps using H&N Barracuda 31grn pellets ,

its deadly accurrate out to 75 yds and hits very hard in deed you can get one direct from the theoben factory or like me have Ben Taylor build it , gareth if you want any info on ,25s if you are amember of the rapid owners forum or the airgun bbs forum a guy called verminhunter is an expert on the.25calibre ,the above power and pellet combination

are the ultimate .25 settings for power with accuracy, which means accuracy is the no-1 thing, if you want any more info pls pm or email me.

atb brian

Cheers JKO and Happyshooter For your advice.

Happy shooter. When you had Ben Taylor build your gun for you. Did you have to go for any fittings at all. I assume that is the norm as the gun would be to your specific body measurments then. Did this cost you any more on top of the gun price. And how long did he take to build your gun for you. I can see where JKO is coming from. I had a .25 quite a few years back and there wasn't much about ammo wise. Would you suggest opting for the .22 cal or stick with the .25. I'm in 2 minds now because the local gun dealers around our way only deal in .177 and .22 cal pellets. I'd have to travel a good 40 mile round trip to pick up a bulk collection of .25 cal. Which would in a way be a pain in the ***.

I think a step back and a look at the whole situation may be in order.

Its FAC right, then a .25 has its uses as it makes a big hole but it is still heavy and a bit of an arc, if you push the power you can get 80ft lb...WHY?:good: Have you looked at the money that will cost and the pellet price/availability and the air you will need, and the poor resale!

If you go 30-40 ft lb I would strongly suggest .22, its a much better bet, versatility wise.

However, the real question is, why don't you look at a .22lr??

Caps, shorts, longs, shot shells and .22lr all fit and will deliver consistent power and repeatability all day...power from around 30ft lb to 204ft lb from 1 rifle and assorted terminal ballistic effect!

...and the likes of a CZ .22lr is going to be FAR cheaper than a FAC .25! :oops:

Just another viewpoint! :P:P

Hi Gareth, The gun was was built by Ben Taylor in just over a week its fitted with

his regulator and particle filter , size wise its a 16 in bsa ,25 barrel vhich may be changed to a lothar walther one

shortly, its built to the same specs as the guy i mentioned Verminhunters gun , i have this gun because i have permissions where my rimfires are not allowed because of land layout , pellet supplies are no problem online are several suppliers i buy 10 tins at a time, Yes i shoot both .22lr and .17hmr rimfires and they have there uses, i also shoot NV with a 35fpe rapid.22 fac fitted with the n550 pulsar digital Nv Scope, and for pigeon control i use 12g shotguns, i am lucky to be able to shoot and own all calibres in different types of gun and love them all.!!!!

atb Brian

Ps, what ever gun Gareth you decide on i hope you enjoy as

in the end its your decision.

Hi there have been alot of people getting .25 in FAC rapids and alot for sale aswell very much marmite guns I`v got .177 and .22 in FAC and would find it easyer to sell mine than .25 something to think about , poeple I know run them at 45/50 .

Hi fireshot, infact fac guns of any calibre are difficult to sell because the market

is so small and .177 fac very rarely comes up there is one at 30fpe on the bbs

and it is just not moving. .25 calibre has grown in interest over the last 6 months and .20 fac is good as long as the power is around 24-28 fpe, fac air has its place where rimfires are not allowed because of land layout etc.

atb brian

• 2 years later...

I read somewhere that .25 transfers it's energy three times better than .22. Don't know if it's true?

Hi Rimfireboy, ,25 packs a real wallop , its also very accurate, ,

i am about to buy the BSA scorpion tatical SE .25 calibre multi shot its sub 12fpe and should

make the ultimate ratting and feral pigeon gun,

atb brian

Right lads due to a bit of recent ill health and a cancelled holiday. I have found myself with quite a bit of spare cash floating about. Which sort of got my juices flowing again to get back into the airgun scene. Iv got a Fac so i was thinking of getting a .25cal Fac Theoben Rapid 12. My question to you is ?. What is the best pressure to get this gun set at for optimum accuary and least amount of recoil. I say about the recoil because although these types of guns are supposed to be recoiless sub Fac rate. I wouldn't think that a gun with an high pressure power unit pushing out an hefty weighted pellet would not make some sort of recoil whilst shooting. Any advice given on guns, ammo or any thing else you think could put me in good stead getting me back into this greatly missed style of shooting. Would be graefully recieved and put to good use.

Cheers to one an all

Gareth :good: :good: :good:

The only experience I can give is from using career 707 long rifle running 78ft/lb .25 Dae Sung pellets.Recoil? :no not really,but certainly"muzzle flip" unless held correctly.Gun I had did nearly the same job as .22 Rimmy with less ricochet issues,but sadly was only pinpoint accurate with DaeSungs.If you find a .25 FAC that is accurate with BisMags it is well worth having.

I think a step back and a look at the whole situation may be in order.

Its FAC right, then a .25 has its uses as it makes a big hole but it is still heavy and a bit of an arc, if you push the power you can get 80ft lb...WHY? ??? Have you looked at the money that will cost and the pellet price/availability and the air you will need, and the poor resale!

If you go 30-40 ft lb I would strongly suggest .22, its a much better bet, versatility wise.

However, the real question is, why don't you look at a .22lr??

Caps, shorts, longs, shot shells and .22lr all fit and will deliver consistent power and repeatability all day...power from around 30ft lb to 204ft lb from 1 rifle and assorted terminal ballistic effect!

...and the likes of a CZ .22lr is going to be FAR cheaper than a FAC .25! :good:

Just another viewpoint! :hmm::good:

Not disagreeing with you Dekers as in theory you are correct, but the option of using less powerful rounds in a .22lr has been discussed on this forum quite a bit. Anything with powder in it has the potential to be incorrectly loaded. This could make what is meant to be a 30 ft/lbs round into a far stronger or even weaker round. We all know the difficulties associated with both. The .25 cal is a really hard hitting caliber, but it is just not practical. A lot of Americans who use this airgun cal actually mold their own bullet shaped pellets to whatever suits the gun. They do this because of both the price and availability of off the shelf pellets. As mentioned above, .22 would be a far better all round option. Like any FAC airgun, the power/pellet weight ratio is critical.

i shot and owned several .25 springers and finding ammo that the guns would shoot in a straight line with was always a problem, even from tin to tin of the same make

Ye a pellet sizer is a must ! But sub 12 ft as the limited range you can fire them backwards for extra splat factor on rats

• 6 years later...

The statement "Anything with powder in it has the potential to be incorrectly loaded" makes me smile - if only somebody had mentioned this to the countless Olympic .22 shooters. In 20 + years of .22lr use I have only had one misfire and that was with a faulty batch of Remmie Ammo :rolleyes:. Dekers hit the nail on the head with his first comment - anything after that is simply piffle.

• 4 weeks later...