Diseased?

Went for a shoot earlier today and the first rabbit i bagged had some form of "growth" just below its mouth (see picture) and sticking on the side of caution i discarded the carcass as i wasnt sure if it was anything which could be transmitted to a human. it looks like a normal scab to be honest and i probably would have ignored it if it hadnt been for the fact that this rabbit was also missing a toe on one of its back paws, again it looked scabbed over but it was also filled with puss, and i mean LOTS of puss! basically what do people think this could have been? and was it a sensible idea to get rid of the carcass? (carcass disposed of in a BIG fire! again just trying to be cautious)

post-18772-1274057147.jpg

Could this just be infected wounds healing poorly?

I would think its a bite thats gone septic, buck rabbits can fight at times. Best option is if you're unsure just get rid after all its not like there is a shortage of them

During the main breeding season I have seen quite a few rabbits with fight/play damage around the head and mouth.

I would think its a bite thats gone septic, buck rabbits can fight at times. Best option is if you're unsure just get rid after all its not like there is a shortage of them

i'd be inclined to agree that i may have been a result of fighting as this one was DEFINITELY a male :good::lol: :lol: