Air rifle pump...is this a bad idea?

michaelguilford

Hi,

Thanks on the advice to the Newbie air gunner. I have a falcon FN19 Mk2, with pretty skeleton stock, quick fill silencer and tactical type scope. Anyway, looking at recharge possibilities, i was strongly advised by my seller not to get a pump but get a dive bottle.

I will be travelling to my shooting areas by bike or foot so 11kg of dive bottle looks a bit hefty. Is a pump such a bad idea? I was told i am in for a heart attack?

My second hobby is cycle racing so i would count 15minutes of airgun recharging training.

Are they likely to damage the gun? (moisture etc). Is a second hand one a bad idea?

Ideally i would like a bottle to fill up at home and a pump to take out with me. Would buying a second hand bottle not be good either?

Thanks,

Michael

A bottle is really the way to go, you could pick up a second hand 3lt bottle, still in test for around £80, new guage and hose, about £60. would fit in a back pack so carrying would be easy.

Can`t remember how many fills a 3lt gives but sure someone will tell us.

Hiya,

On Theoben Owners Manual for Rapids,it states that bottle use only!

Yup they do that but since changing from a pump to a bottle I have to be very careful when filling the bottles on both my Rapids or the both leak.. something that never happened when using the pump :good:

A bottle is really the way to go, you could pick up a second hand 3lt bottle, still in test for around £80, new guage and hose, about £60. would fit in a back pack so carrying would be easy.

Can`t remember how many fills a 3lt gives but sure someone will tell us.

here you go

Typical fills per bottle for a gun operating at 200 bar from empty)

3lt 300 bar bottle: approx 16 fills

7lt 300 bar bottle: approx 25 fills

12lt 300 bar bottle: approx 40 fills

john

I have always used a pump and it has caused no damage at all,pumping up a rifle with small cylinder is easy peasy mate its only a chore when using something like a bsa s10 or the like with big bottle.

Pump the rifle up before you go shooting and leave the pump at home as you will have more than enough shots with a full fill,then just top up before every shoot,it really is easy and dont know why people make out its so hard.

Oh and well done on the rifle,nice little rifles the falcons :good:

unless you're planning on shoot 70+ bunnies in one session, you don't need to carry the pump/bottle! just refill the gun before you go out.

The cyclinder on the gun should hold 70-100 shots (not sure on the Falcon)

Get a bottle,but dont take it out with you unless your waging war on the rabbits you wont need it :good:

cant see why everyone seems to say pumps are really' hard' work. they arent really, even when you say 15 mins of pumping thats exaggerating a bit. I've had 4 airguns that i have filled with a pump. a s200, a logun s16s, weirauch hw100 and a bsa scorpion. The S16s took quite a bit of effort let me tell you - but you got 200 shots from it :lol: all of the others were barley 5 mins including plugging in the adapter and taking the cap off etc. :good:

i use a pump on all my air rifles,including a gunpower stealth and a daystate air ranger fac,both of these are buddy bottle rifles.if you need to pump for fifteen minutes to charge them up,you would have run them so low on air that your shots would become inconsistent :good: :good: :lol: