DOG GOING TO GROUND

deputy dog

MY JACK RUSSELL BITCH KIM IS SEVEN NOW AND AS BEEN A FAITHFULL LITTLE WORKER FOR ALMOST MOST OF THEM SEVEN YRS. BUT OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS SHE AS BEEN GOING TO GROUND IN MOST BURROWS INSTEAD OF MARKING THEM FOR ME FO FERRET. THOUGH SHE IS A BOLD LITTLE RUSSELL AND IS NOT EASILY SCARED. I AM AFRAID THAT SHE'S GOING TO GO DOWN ONE TO MANY AND GET SMASHED BY A UNSUSPECTING BADGER OR EVEN A BIG OLD DOG FOX. IS THERE ANY ONE OUT THERE WHO AS A SUGGESTION I COULD TRY BEFORE SHE DOES GET HURT OR WORSE EVEN KILLED.

I WOULD BE GRATEFUL FOR ANY REPLYS TO THIS MATTER B)

first of all mate, if you get caught putting a dog in a badger set you will get a very big fine and or prison. unless the dog really wants to mix it with fox or billy dont worry. it will come out when its had a look at em. if it does want to get stuck in,

your digging, more prison.

how do you stop it going to ground. you cant, if they want to go they will.

Edited by markbivvy

not saying saying you are badger DIGGER,just letting you know what will happen if you are caught near a sett with a dog. the old bill carted my mate and his 5 year old son off one day for being near a registered sett with a dog. his dog by the way was a Dalmatian.

digging and baiting are two different things. baiter's are idiots that get proper terrier lads a bad name.

ps. take the caps lock off,your are shouting

Edited by markbivvy

Ok mark sorry to get in a knot over this, just miss understood what you were trying to say. most if not all the places i go are badger free i think, but when on a new place to shoot or ferret theres always a possibilty that she could get hurt. i dont want to stop taking her out but i dont want her to get hurt. and if theres no cure for her going to ground then i dont no what to do. B)

Edited by deputy dog

i used to have a ruff haired russell years ago, just used her for rabbeting.

she was 100 % on marking a sett,once she had marked she would just sit and wait for one to slip the net. had been working her for about 2 years when one day we got to a large single hole set that allways had bunnys in.bonnie went straight to ground(she had never ever done this before) 2 seconds later out fly,s reynard

straight into the jaws of my lads lurcher. but the russell did not get into it at all,

she just watched. still the same steady away at rabbits.but would go to ground if a fox was at home. but would never mix it with em. some dogs are just nosey.

my kim was the same as your russell mark, just sit there wagging her tail looking straight at the hole. then for no reason she just kept going to ground after them and staying down for ages some time. my shooting mates knows she a good dog but they are getting a bit miffed at the thought of standing around for hours waiting for her to emerge coverd in mud and the rabbits av long since gone or been disbatched by the guns. they av knicked named her barking ferret as she raises more rabbits out of the burrows then the ferrets. any way thanks for taking notice, good hunting

For FOX  sake if you can't tell the difference between a sett and a warren , then maybe you should not let the dog out of the kitchen . Keep the dog on a lead , and only let it off the lead at a warren ..

all the best yis yp  :blink:

not asking wether or not ( I'M ) capable of knowing what a sett looks like to a rabbit warren "BRAIN BOX". My dog as started going to ground when she never used to and i was just asking is there any way of stoping her rather than keeping her on the lead. please dont reply with stupid comments like keeping her in the kitchen. Thats really going to help (NOT).

Edited by deputy dog

I was going to say about the lamp shade collers you can get and I thought it would be a good idea as apart from your dog being on a lead, i see no way of correcting the problem because unless you like diving around after you dog to stop it going down a hole at least if it cant get down you can tell it no so to try and train it not to. but hey what do I know.

cheers

john

I was going to say about the lamp shade collers you can get and I thought it would be a good idea as apart from your dog being on a lead, i see no way of correcting the problem because unless you like diving around after you dog to stop it going down a hole at least if it cant get down you can tell it no so to try and train it not to. but hey what do I know.

cheers

john

ok mate cheers, for that. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

terrier are know for going down holes so dont go worry to much if the dog does go down a badger sett it wont be the first or last to do so as long as it aint got a tracking coller on and a spade by your side you can get away with it give it 20mins if it aint out ring for help rspca and tell them whats gone on but i must say keep away from them if your dog will go down the sett