cuckoo

Popgun

Yes, great shame. The cuckoo is one of the worst examples of decline in our songbirds.

Skylarks, song thrushes, whitethroats, there's loads that have declined, but I think the cuckoo is the most noticeable. :good:

You're really surprised to see or hear one now, whereas we used to take them for granted.

Edited by Chard

I heard one yesterday outside my office in St Albans, I agree that they have declined in numbers over the past few years.

I was in Sicily a few weeks back and there were quite a few there.

Quite a few Summer migrants appear in decline here, the Turtle Dove is a good example, they used to be quite common, but you just don't see them now.

I assumed that was because the French and Spanish had gunned 'em all down as they were migrating Northwards over the Pyrenees, but I was wrong, as when I was in Northern France last July they were literally everywhere.

Perhaps our recent spate of cold and wet Summers has made them think twice about coming so far North..??

Cat.

Even sparrows are disappearing.

Apart from the odd blackbird all I see are feral pigeons, crows and magpies.

Last week magpies were attacking a blackbird nest below where I live, then these were chased off by two jays.

It just seems that the corvids are taking over the gardens and parks.

The Sparrows are in decline, but they are an introduced species but there has been a massive increase in Woodpeakers the last couple of years.

I never ever thought that sparrows were an "introduced species"

When and how were they introduced?

They weren't :good: :good: :good:

'Tis true what MPT says. Even in the country, the predominant species are corvids and pigeons. Sometimes it seems that they are all that there is about :angry:

Originally recorded in Eurasia, North Africa and the Middle East. Relative of the Weaver bird from Africa.

They originally lived in colonies but changed their habits when they moved to the UK. This was a long time ago.

Originally recorded in Eurasia, North Africa and the Middle East. Relative of the Weaver bird from Africa.

They originally lived in colonies but changed their habits when they moved to the UK. This was a long time ago.

Nobody introduced them, they might have expanded their range (tens of thousands of years ago) a bit like we did.

I heard a cuckoo today while having a round at WKSS with the OH. Certainly don't hear them as often as we used to as kids but I always try to keep an ear out for them every year. A true harbinger of Spring has Sprung (in case the Daffs, tulips, veg plants & warmer weather wasn't enough to bring it to the fore).