Do you think fishing is cruel?

njc110381

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only cruel bit about fishing, is not catching any.

:blush: I used to think that when I'd got up in the dark to go and catch Tench on the local canal! :blush:

The bit that seperates my thoughts from those of shot Rabbits and Foxes etc is that Rabbits eat grass which could be feeding a Lamb. Foxes eat those Lambs etc etc. So shooting them has a purpose. They're killed either for food or because they're a pest. It's the same with Trout fishing or Mackerel feathering etc, you eat the fish you catch so fair enough, and I still do that myself.

What I don't like to do myself, without judging anyone who does fish for sport, is catching them just to throw them back. Where's the purpose? We don't eat them and they're not causing a problem.

I'm turning into a right hippie these days. I don't mind killing things, but the reason for doing it has to be there. If it's just for my pleasure I try to give it a miss because I feel a bit rude for ruining somethings day for the sake of it. :rolleyes:

:blush: I used to think that when I'd got up in the dark to go and catch Tench on the local canal! :blush:

The bit that seperates my thoughts from those of shot Rabbits and Foxes etc is that Rabbits eat grass which could be feeding a Lamb. Foxes eat those Lambs etc etc. So shooting them has a purpose. They're killed either for food or because they're a pest. It's the same with Trout fishing or Mackerel feathering etc, you eat the fish you catch so fair enough, and I still do that myself.

What I don't like to do myself, without judging anyone who does fish for sport, is catching them just to throw them back. Where's the purpose? We don't eat them and they're not causing a problem.

I'm turning into a right hippie these days. I don't mind killing things, but the reason for doing it has to be there. If it's just for my pleasure I try to give it a miss because I feel a bit rude for ruining somethings day for the sake of it. :rolleyes:

Mate, you are really starting to grate.

If people didn't pleasure fish then there wouldn't be any other type of fishing, they are the ones that keep it going not the sea anglers or game fisherman.

I haven't been Coarse fishing for years, but I know that without it you wouldn't have fishing elsewhere and the local waters would be devoid of fish.

Stop talking ********, I kill animals because of this and that, it's for your own pleasure and stop driving holes into other peoples sports.

Hippy??? You are just talking and thinking rubbish.

I don't believe there is anybody on here who fishes or shoots for food. :rolleyes:

Everybody primarily does it for sport or vermin control. Food is a by-product, but it's not keeping us alive and it's not why we do it :blush:

So, if anybody is looking to justify what they do by trying to say they're doing it to feed their family, pull the other one :blush:

People were built to hunt, it's in our DNA and we're not meant to be Vegetarians or Vegans.

Since Mankind has stopped needing to hunt to survive, people have been unnecessarily pondering about it, whether it's right or wrong, forgetting that it's a part of the whole Human heritage.. These people have brought this mindset that hunting animals is wrong for sport andfood.

Everyone should try stalking or hunting Boar if they've never been before, they'll realise that's what we built for doing, our hearing is made for hearing prey in the bushes, eyes having the ability to focus anywhere and any light etc etc :good:

We don't hunt for food nowadays, we hunt knowing it's what we were doing millions of years ago, even if we don't realise it!

Nick

To put it bluntly we all take part in field sports because we enjoy it and fishing is no different to shooting or foxhunting in that by taking part we are pitting our whits, skill and field craft against a wild quarry be it rabbit fox or fish.

I am afraid that this clap trap spouted by some in justifying shooting animals by saying I do it because they are vermin is just eyewash. We shoot because we enjoy it. I read over and over again comments such as "I shoot such and such to protect my farmers crops and if I did not then he would get someone else so I have to"........what rubbish. They are not your crops, you spend hours knocking on farmers doors begging for permission to shoot because you enjoy it, not to protect the crops of someone you had never met before.

Fishing is no more cruel then shooting in fact I suspect that quite a few warm blooded mammals feel considerable pain when wounded by poorly placed shots.

What we must not do however is attribute animals with the ability to think and make rational decisions and feel pain in the same rationalised way we do.

So therefore Nick I suggest you start fishing again.

I dont believe fishing to be cruel but do think the sport needs to tidy its act up. We have come a long way from the 60,s with newer and fish friendly technology in terminal tackle and keep nets.

I used to be a big match angler on the Thames, Avon & Severn curcuits in the 70,s and 80,s almost made the England Team Cut once but I became disillushioned with it, fishing in a stew pond pulling out 3 lb carp after 3 lb carp for money, with no real skill involved or thought for the fishes well fare is not fishing in my opinion.

I fish regularly now for my own pleasure, spending hours on a particular stretch of the Upper Thames which is always deserted. I use barbless hooks, completely non toxic weights and never retain fish in a keep net ( cant see the point)

No I dont believe fishing to be cruel, not only that we have some of the cleanest waterway systems in Europe now and thats all down to the British Angler.

It's a bad day for field sports when we start feeding the antis with ammo to use against other field sports

I learnt a lesson in this from our very own Neil Smith of PSG fame. I used to find it amusing to put down PSG publicly and Neil, ambassador for the sport that he is, would point out (calmly and civilly) that it wasn't in shootings best interests to be having a pop at each other. I had to agree :sly:

This is worse. It's not just **********, it's supplying the antis with support for what they claim. There is no worthwhile scientific evidence that fish (cold-blooded animals) feel pain in the same way as mammals, or emotions, fear, stress etc etc. It's just fluffy bunny thinking, assuming that these animals feel things just like we do.

Like somebody has already said, if it makes you squirm, don't go fishing, but do us a favour and shut the **** up. :unsure:

At last there is a God..I really was feeling you were very anti any shooting that didn't fit in your box..At last perhaps we all realise we are THE sport not A sport and support each other not dig each other out with waltish comments.. :good:

Where did I say that I don't shoot for fun? I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy the chase! I guess in my head I need to justify it to myself to enjoy it. I used to fish at least once a week for years but then started to feel bad when I caught things and then just put them back. With shooting there are other reasons to do it rather than just for my pleasure and that helps a lot.

If Rabbits weren't a problem and farmers could spare Chickens and Lambs for the Foxes I honestly wouldn't shoot them either. I would still shoot Deer because I eat them but a great deal of my quarry would be left alone. That's just me and it's how I see the world. We don't go out and blast little birds with our shotguns unless they're a problem do we? Who would shoot a Robin or Blackbird just for fun if it was legal? I wouldn't. Are those of you that are saying you shoot only for fun suggesting that you'd shoot anything that moves if you were allowed to? That's pretty sad.

I'm not liking the way a lot of you are making me out to be some sort of anti. It was a serious question and I expected sensible answers! As always though it's very easy for some of you to make childish comments from behind your keyboards because you've got nothing better to do. I should have seen that coming really!

Thankyou to those of you that have put your opinions across sensibly, I appreciate your opinions whether they are the same as mine or completely the opposite. :good:

Njc

Please don't take my comments as a personal criticism. We all have to justify our actions to ourselves long before we need to justify them to others and I for one am glad that the vast majority of field sportsmen feel empathy with their quarry.

From a personal viewpoint I have always enjoyed pitting myself against my chosen quarry be it a sparrow with an air rifle when I was a youngster or big red stag in later years. All have tested my ability and field-craft and as I have got better at it I tend to chose the more "sporting" shots because those are the ones that test me and give me the "most enjoyment". Although I obviously don't break the law by shooting protected species morally I do not differentiate between protected on non protected species. As long as it provides a sporting shoot I would take it. Remember that many species that are now protected were once on the quarry list and did provide good sporting shots.

However I digress, your OP questions the "cruelty" aspect of fishing. I would think not but I suppose the answer is who knows other then the fish. Fish certainly do not have our nervous system or anatomy and therefore would not feel pain as we know it but I guess they feel some form of discomfort otherwise they would ignore the hook and line and not fight against it.

Should you fish........no, because you do not feel comfortable in doing so. Do I shoot hare's.......no, because I enjoy watching them and shooting them is easy; would I hunt them with a pack of hounds.......yes, because it gives me pleasure and they are a sporting quarry.

It's a ruddy good job we are not all the same. However it warms me to find that one thing we all have in common is our love and respect of our quarry.

Charlie

Been fishing for 40 odd years, never felt like that...and NOPE, I dont share yer views...they seem too anti for my mind!!!! D'you think the same about the Rabbit, or Deer, or even the Fox you shoot ?....no, so why think like that about a fish...hmmm, next it'll be Mussels, then Worms..... :good:

Just reread this one...and thought I'd better clarify my situation as regards angling....the last 8-10 years of my life in angling have been involved with the Common Skate tagging programme...I personally have had fish caught, tagged., measured, photo'd and released, to recatch them maybe 30 mins later....so...obviously no problems there...especially considering, we are talking fish of upwards of 200lbs in 4-500 feet of water... <_<

I'm also a founder member of SSACN....

http://www.ssacn.org/

have a look...it does work..:sly:

At last there is a God..I really was feeling you were very anti any shooting that didn't fit in your box..At last perhaps we all realise we are THE sport not A sport and support each other not dig each other out with waltish comments.. :sly:

I'm not anti-anything. I've taken the Mick and I guess I probably still will B) but not in a malicious way.

I would never suggest that this or that should be banned, but I haven't changed my mind about some of our sports. It's like airsoft. The thought of grown men winkling around with more gear than the British Army blatting each other with BB's amuses me. It's a childs game, in my opinion.

Gooks in the wire, indeed. <_<

I wouldn't suggest it should be banned though. Game shooters take the Mick out of me because I shoot clays. They say it's pointless. They're not suggesting it should be banned though, they just think I'm a t*t :good:

Edited by Chard

Catch and release IS. Because once it is hooked there is damage to the fish. so if its hooked it would be better to eat it :-)

/S/

hmm dont think so m8 your saying that to c/r a fish is not right well how do you work that out with salmon then, so when you catch a hen fish and release it that fish is now damaged naw you are wrong because that fish will live with no problem at all and go and deliver its eggs with ease ,anyhow on some beats you cannot kill any salmon at ALL c/r only to preserve fish numbers so look into things before you speak and if you no nothing about what you are on about then dont say nothing at all :w00t::):yahoo:

Edited by hutchie the white hunter