wild boar whats the best calibre ???

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i saw a boar taking five 7.62 shots from an sks before it finally went down, so personally i'd go for as big a calibre as you can get/afford :hmm:

This should do it Ozz.... Local Army surplus should be able to sort one out for a song although I don't know what ammo quantities your FEO would consider realistic!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by Vipa

here we go again with this old chestnut. !! whilst living in oz for 9 years i shot over 300 boar all with a 6.5x55 swede. it never had the slightest trouble decking nevery one of them. just ask yourself how many people that comment on topics such as boar have ever actually shot one?

i also shot a few with a shotgun in thick scrub with sgs and solids. i would recommend the elderly swede over any of the noisy .30 s any time.

here we go again with this old chestnut. !! whilst living in oz for 9 years i shot over 300 boar all with a 6.5x55 swede. it never had the slightest trouble decking nevery one of them. just ask yourself how many people that comment on topics such as boar have ever actually shot one?

i also shot a few with a shotgun in thick scrub with sgs and solids. i would recommend the elderly swede over any of the noisy .30 s any time.

I think the majority just go and download ballistic calculators and get all 'boys toys' about the energies quoted for the silly rounds.... They then lose all sight of what 2,100 ft/lbs at the muzzle really means (that's what my 140 gn Federal Powershoks are putting out)

I've never shot a boar and can only imagine that it's far more adrenaline filled than deer (deer don't tend to charge at you!) however, at normal hunting ranges the energy imparted by a 140gn 6.5mm expanding head is more than lethal enough, the only reason an animal would keep going is either poor placement or adrenaline in the system (ala running deer with no heart or lungs left in them.) The argument appears to be that a round producing more power will have a better chance of dropping a beast full stop but the video on here and youtube of the deer being shot with a .50BMG (12,600 ft/lb) is testament to that not being true at all . That White-tail runs further after having it's chest cavity pretty much emptied by the .50 than I have seen a deer run after a boiler room shot with a 6.5 or 2.43 or .308 for that matter.

The trick is to try to get the projectile to stay in the body of the quarry therefore transferring all of it's potential energy into kinetic energy. The 6.5, because it is a long thin round, is very good at deforming (lots) and therefore producing max energy transfer. Short, fat rounds, by their very design cannot expand proportionately as much so in reality, the diameter of the bullet, whilst a factor, is not key.

There is a big risk with more powerful rounds of over penetration. Any energy being carried by that bullet once it exits the target is lost energy, you are then relying on vital organ damage during it's journey through the tissue. If all vital organs are missed then there may actually be quite a small energy transfer during it's interaction with the quarry.

Edited by Vipa

This should do it Ozz.... Local Army surplus should be able to sort one out for a song although I don't know what ammo quantities your FEO would consider realistic!

:good::yes::yes:

If you homeload and just add a pinch of salt into the charge you will also get some lovely crackling, if you can get enough uraniam then it makes a nice foxing round to.

I have shot a few and between 1966 and 1982 I used a 7x57r with a 150gn bullet.

Since coming back to UK I have been using a .308 with a 180gn bullet and have not had any problems other than my own making with the trusty .308 at all.

The .308 is probably the most versatile calibre going, with it's varying bullet weights and common availability it can account for most animals man is likely to want to shoot in this country and most of Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

In the Netherlands it is LAW to shoot wild boar with a minimum caliber of 6,5 mm and an energy of 2200 Joules at 100 meters. Maybe it helps?

I shoot a .308 w. Most common used in the Netherlands and Germany are 7x64, 306 and 30.06.

By the way, if a wild boar has been rolling in the mud and it has dried up muck on its body, its like a body armor! Also the amount of fat can be a factor with shooting it dead succesfully. In the end it is (off course) all about shot placement.

Edited by Holland&Holland

You are not alone Al4x a distant relative of NJC was my first thought :unsure: - but you never know....

I am off fishing for a week now, I look forward to the next instalment.

(and sincere apologies to the RP for the derailments)

Hey! leave me out of this! I thought my suggestion was perfectly reasonable and I've not even whispered the idea of buying something huge for the sake of it! :angry:

As for sight pictures etc, calibre really isn't a big issue I don't think. I've shot Deer with my 6.5 and lost them from the scope for a moment. The same with my .375H&H, they all fall back onto target pretty quickly if your gun fits you. Hitting the mark and knowing how to follow up with your rifle are the important bits really.

I can't shoot a side by side for toffee

I think that covers it nicely! :unsure:

I'm quite confident with a rifle. I'm also a true believer that you have to be a very skilled shot to be good with both the rifle and the shotgun. Luckily for me I mastered the rifle because that's my favourite tool. I went back to the same field and took a bunny at 70 yards free standing with the .22lr a couple of days after the shotgun disaster. I'm happy enough with that.

Anyway, back on subject of Boar calibres. If it's Boar specific why not go for a lever gun in something heavy and slow? .45-70, .444, that would be my choice. For an all rounder a .270 is great. Fast, flat and hard hitting as well as not being military (only a problem in France and I believe Spain?). 6.5x55 is also good it seems.