wild boar whats the best calibre ???

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i want to know how far behind the piggy you are? :good:

I would estimate, looking at the refractive index of the light striking the trees divided by the tangent of the hypotenuse of the angle Stuart is holding his rifle that he is kneeling approximately 7.6 inches behind the Piggy. I therefore estimate that the piggy weighs approximately 1.5 metric tons :good:

Edited by Vipa

Nearer 7' 6" I think you'll find :good:

Quality camera and quality photographer you see....

You know the contact magazines are just as happy with a bit of black tape over his eyes, you don't need to blank his entire face out! :good:

i want to know how far behind the piggy you are? :good:

I have another picture of me touching it (actually, not photoshop'd) so not that far behind, and a joke one of me waaay back.

Of course if I had shot what I thought was a very big pig and then someone else shot a bigger one :good:

Stuartp.jpg

I would give serious thought to getting a new camera, that old one makes your make up look all smudgy.

Just as one swallow doesn't make a summer , one piggy shot with a marginal 6.5 swede doesn't make it a good choice. Just ask any of the europeans who have shoot more pigs that most whether they would go for as pig shoot foray armed with a 6.5swede if they had they choice. I think we all know what their answer would be. No thanks give me something with a bit more clout.

Edited by JackReady

I have pictures of the other 10 or so that were shot on another trip with 6.5's and few with 25-06's if you want to see them, but I guess there is no telling some.

Sure, post them up.

Forgive the scepticism...............................but.

The trouble is one pig looks a lot like another unless you're another pig or they have a tag in their ear like the one Peter Carr had his mate shoot, up at Cragminnows and entry and exit wounds are not exactly sure fire ways of determining calibres used.

But I'd still be interested in seeing them.

Sure, post them up.

Forgive the scepticism...............................but.

The trouble is one pig looks a lot like another unless you're another pig or they have a tag in their ear like the one Peter Carr had his mate shoot, up at Cragminnows and entry and exit wounds are not exactly sure fire ways of determining calibres used.

But I'd still be interested in seeing them.

I am at a little bit of a loss here...... our boys are taking out Talliban at 600yds with 5.56mm in Afghan, that being the case why would a 6.5mm round of much higher weight and expanding head only be marginal on a beast of only slightly tougher build than a human bean? 2000 ish ft/lbs slamming into most beasts at 50-100yds in the right(ish) spot will fell said beast easily.

My attitude is a straightforward one.... If you cannot rely on proper shot placement and MUST shoot with a cannon to ensure you kill the beaset then you realistically shouldn't be shooting said beasties. Lets all get the .50 cals out then there won't be any argument :good: Big Cannons basically make up for poor shooting :good: and maybe make you feel safer but that doesn't actually make them a more suitable calibre

Something else worth mentioning.... a wild boar is in the cross hairs of your scope mounted on your swede.... you take the shot the boar keeps coming (would be unusual but lets play this out) the moderate recoil and polite handling means you can re-load and take a second shot or third without having to re-acquire your target.... try doing that with a .338 Win Mag!!!! One shot and your done.... better hope it was a good one!

Edited by Vipa

I am at a little bit of a loss here...... our boys are taking out Talliban at 600yds with 5.56mm in Afghan, that being the case why would a 6.5mm round of much higher weight and expanding head only be marginal on a beast of only slightly tougher build than a human bean? 2000 ish ft/lbs slamming into most beasts at 50-100yds in the right(ish) spot will fell said beast easily.

My attitude is a straightforward one.... If you cannot rely on proper shot placement and MUST shoot with a cannon to ensure you kill the beaset then you realistically shouldn't be shooting said beasties. Lets all get the .50 cals out then there won't be any argument :good:

Simply Undergunned.

700NE 1000gr standard 'tool' for all game.

My attitude is a straightforward one.... If you cannot rely on proper shot placement and MUST shoot with a cannon to ensure you kill the beaset then you realistically shouldn't be shooting said beasties. Lets all get the .50 cals out then there won't be any argument :good: Big Cannons basically make up for poor shooting :good: and maybe make you feel safer but that doesn't actually make them a more suitable calibre

Something else worth mentioning.... a wild boar is in the cross hairs of your scope mounted on your swede.... you take the shot the boar keeps coming (would be unusual but lets play this out) the moderate recoil and polite handling means you can re-load and take a second shot or third without having to re-acquire your target.... try doing that with a .338 Win Mag!!!! One shot and your done.... better hope it was a good one!

some fair points and some flawed, correct shot placemant with any calibre does not guarantee a drop on the spot scenario, these are extremely dangerous

animals, personally the larger the calibre the better especially on a follow up shot which you cannot guarantee good placement but needs to be taken.

as for not needing to reacquire your target thru a scope after shooting and reloading a 6.5 55, apologies but i find that hard to believe.

Edited by harv

some fair points and some flawed, correct shot placemant with any calibre does not guarantee a drop on the spot scenario, these are extremely dangerous

animals, personally the larger the calibre the better especially on a follow up shot which you cannot guarantee good placement but needs to be taken.

as for not needing to reacquire your target thru a scope after shooting and reloading a 25-06, apologies but i find that hard to beleive.

It is quite possible to keep eye on target through a shot with a swede (I have never fired a 25-06) reload, shoot, reload shoot without losing sight of your quarry. I have shot a .338 win mag and therefore this is why I used that as a reference. The recoil and muzzle flip are not control,able enough to keep your eyes open and the quarry within your sight, you WILL lose the target and WILL have to find it again.

After seeing deer run some way with no heart or lungs I am fully aware of what animals are capable of, they just don't play cricket like us humans and lay down to die! There is a vid somewhere on here of a deer being shot with a .50BMG which runs a hell of a long way before it finally sits down and expires!

This could start to sound like a "whats your favourite calibre" thread and that's not my intention with my posts. What I am trying to point out is that, in general and unless we are talking about seriously big game (elephants/rhinos & the like) the 6.5x55 is anything but a 'very marginal' calibre. You have pretty much as much chance of the quarry carrying on running with a huge cannon such as a .338 as you do with a 6.5 or .270 or 25.06. I am not naive enough to suggest that the laws of physics don't apply here, of course 3,000 ft/lbs will have more of an effect locally than 2,000 but those local effects don't always mean the animal will drop any sooner.

Yeah I guess they could have got caught up in the crossfire :good:

Out of interest what do you use?

An 8mm to to be more precise a .325wsm

200g bullet doing about 2900fps giving about 5J energy. Or 220 g bullet doing about 2800 fps giving about 5.3J energy. You need to be able to step up to the 160g bullet driven pretty near its max velocity in a 6.5 swede to get anywhere near those figures.

You are not alone Al4x a distant relative of NJC was my first thought :good: - but you never know....

I am off fishing for a week now, I look forward to the next instalment.

(and sincere apologies to the RP for the derailments)

Wf5 or 6 :good:

You are not alone Al4x a distant relative of NJC was my first thought :good: - but you never know....

I am off fishing for a week now, I look forward to the next instalment.

(and sincere apologies to the RP for the derailments)

That made me chuckle and has to be one of the all time classic posts.

Enjoy the fishing, me I'm just off to clean my Sweed.