Sako Quad

jdbrammers

Hello All,

After picking everyone's brains a few months ago and asking for opinions on rifles for .17HMR and .22LR I plumped for the Sako Quad. It was mainly a choice between the quad and Anschutz, which I have used before.

Why did I get it and not the Anschutz? My main shooting was .22 lamping so the idea appealed to me of having a general rifle for lamping with the option of a .17HMR for an extra £150. This was the main reason.

First time I used them I got the .22LR barrel set up and zeroed in order to do the .17HMR next and revert to .22LR to check how it holds its zero with barrel changing. Bloody hell but that little .17HMR is exciting. I was grinning like a kid in a sweet shop. Zeroed it at 50m, one inch high which gave 1.5 inches high at 100m and straight through middle at 150m. That along with the crack and whizz made it all worth it. Anyway, I digress, back to the review.

I loved the feel of the thumbhole Anschutz and this was a serious contender. I also had a crack with the CZ and found it very uncomfortable and put it down to the thumbhole. Then I tried the HW and Sako and found that they were very comfortable for my grip, even without the thumbhole. I loved the HW as well but the barrel makes it much heavier than the Annie & Sako and as I normally walk at night with the lamp on the gun, I decided against it. Lovely trigger though and hugely comfortable. Anyway.

Down to the Annie & Sako again. The Anschutz is a lot shorter (probably about 7 inches) and a fair bit lighter. All good stuff for carrying around in a field and wielding around inside a car. Add to this a large mod and the Sako is like maneovring a spear in a vehicle.

Also, the online reviews said the Anschutz was brilliant and the Sako had a few possible problems with round extraction. So why the Sako. Partly bloody minded and mostly the extra gun for £150 essentially and a lot to do with guys on this forum.

So, Sako out the box.

Accuracy: Brilliant. Same / better as my shooting partner's Anschutz, limited by the bloke behind the gun.

Action: Love it. Short, crisp, good extraction on spent rounds, more to follow shortly.

Trigger: Factory standard fine, got it taken down to 2 lbs which I like. Little travel, positive pull, nice and crisp. Not as good as the HW or Anschutz (imho).

Scope: Provided you do a bit of research, it would seem that most scopes will allow barrel changes in situ.

Magasine: Love the release catch and the way it falls into your hand.

Stock: Wood is gorgeous and light. Synthetic is tough and hardworking and a fair bit heavier. Up to you.

Now, I managed to get a bit of shooting using mainly the .17HMR which threw me into a panic. Which barrel to keep on the majority of the time. Although the rifle holds its zero quite well, if it's windy or a bit of background noise, I found it difficult to be able to hear the turret clicks meaning that a quick zero was required for confidence. Answer? Got a synthetic stock for .22 and kept the wood for .17HMR. Fantastic.

Synthetic stock is a lot cheaper than the wood and a bit more hard wearing, hence fitting it to the .22.

I am now as happy as a pig in mud.

So, did the extra barrel save me money or was it false economy? If the other shooting hadn't come up and the .22 still been the main shooting I did then it would probably have been the right choice. However, the other shooting did come up but as i had the barrel it meant that I only had to purchase the action and stock and the synthetic is a lot cheaper (not such a dent in the wallet).

And I love them!

Now for the niggles:

10 round magazine: the mag I bought would feed no more than 7 rounds. I decided to put up with this but then it got on my nerves. Brilliant gun shop (Forest Lodge in Wragby) and service (provided me with masses of advice and put up with me whilst waiting for my ticket) and exchanged the mag there and then. The difference was noticeable immediately with the strength of the spring and the new one fed 9 rounds flawlessly. Put that down to a dodgy mag then.

Extraction of live round: I had no problems extracting empty cases but live rounds were a different story. However, provided you are relatively gentle with the action and pull back kind of slowly, in my experience the round extracts with no problem.

Size: It is long! However, you get used to it and can get the barrel shortened if you fancy although most people advise against it. If it all goes wrong though you can buy another for £150. I haven't made up my mind on this yet and whilst debating it have grown to live with it. Certainly a big plus for the Annie though, particularly if using in a vehicle.

Would I do it again? Well, the option is either exactly the same again: 2 x Quads (.22 & .17HMR) or probably .22 Annie and Quad in .17HMR, which was mentioned quite a lot on the other posts.

I hope that's useful to someone.

Thanks again to everyone on here for all of your advice, photos, etc. Dave- I love 'em :lol:

sako quads had problems (like mine did) with the .22lr not ejecting the spent case.GMK knew this & offered to reem out slightly (if you excuse the term) free of charge ,after this was done it was fine. With regards to the whole process i bought a full .17hmr as aposed to just the barrel to save adjustments to the scopes etc. (again just my choice). I think ive heard that the 10 shot mags are actually 9 but sell as 10 :lol: who knows. never the less a good choice of gun. the .17hmr in my view blows the .22 out of the water. I know it costs more which is a shame but the end result is better ie dead quarry more of the time or higher shot at greater % of kills. good luck with your new toys