Miroku or Beretta

Hotshotnot

Yes - try both if you can - some folks find one or the other suits their build better.

I have shot well with borrowed Berettas & Brownings/Mirokus and ended up with my own B525.

You should be able to get a new Browning or Miroku and have change to spare. Not so sure about Berettas on price though.

Being fairly new to this myself,my advice would be that if you have any friends with guns try and go out with them as much as possible and most will let you use their guns,don't just fire a couple of carts but get the feel of it,try different makes,barrel lenghts,and types e.g game,sporters or clay guns,if you plan on clay shooting mainly then a clay gun or sporter,if your going to shoot pigeons mainly game or sporters, then semi'auto's have their place too.there is also fixed chokes and multichokes(most people stick one set of chokes in then leave them along,but multichokes are a little more barrel heavy).Don't rush out to buy a gun as you may discover that you would have prefered the gun in a different format,

i bought a browning 525 sporter 30" multichoke,traded it for a beretta s/p 30" fixed choke game,but really now wish I'd bought the beretta ultralight 28"game that was lent to me to try out,loved it.My franchi 28" semi i would now like a Benneli 26" M2 in camo,or an Beretta A400 26" for pigoen shooting,so I have all these guns but now wish i had the ones that i've worked out feel better for me,All the guns i have are really nice ,but I feel I now have a clearer idea of what feels right.I wasted lots of money as I've worked it out,so take your time.

once yo ubuy your gun,don't go to a gun shop again as they are addictive

As others have already said, it is the fit of the gun that is absolutely critical and the only way to understand how this works for you is to try a number of guns from each of the manufacturers you note and see how they 'feel' when you mount and swing them.

It isn't always possible to test fire a second hand gun (I only know of Kelbrook shooting ground up near me where you can try second hand guns out).

As another 'tall 'n slim' shooter I would recommend the Beretta Silver Pigeon. I have the SPIII 28" game version (fixed choke) and it has a very slim action, it not too heavy and is easy to mount and swing.

I personally would avoid the 'ultralight' guns (designed for a days roughshooting) for clays as their lighter weight means the felt recoil is that much more. Nothing worse than a gun that kicks like a mule.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Sinistercr0c

i'm tall and slim and Beretta's fit me,I was told(after i bought the Browning) that shorter more solid then browning,tall and slimmer then Beretta,that how it's panned out with all the approx 15 guys I shoot with generally,as for the ultralite it didn't recoil much with me at all,but i generally use 21 or 24 grams for clays and normally only shoot 50~70 sporting clays twice a month,if you was heavily into clays you would be better with a sporter or clay gun,and 28~32 grms for pigeons.

I am short and not very thin and have a Beretta, which fits my like a glove!

I also have a Benelli-copy semi auto, which also fits me like a glove.

I am sure if I went out and bought a Browning/Miroku/Perazzi/anything else you care to mention it would fit me like a glove.....

Because I take them to a trained gunsmith and he fits them to me.

Think of it a bit like buying a suit and then having a tailor adapt it to your precise build - sleeve length, trouser length, even adjusting the waist or jacket. It can all be done.

As everyone has said beforehand, you need to try as many as you can so you get one which 'feels' right to you. Some prefer heavy, others light. Some like short barrels, others long.

There is no quick answer, so don't rush into it.

The good news is, if you buy a Browning, Miroku, Beretta or one of the other big brands, and you don't like it, you should be able to sell it on and buy something else.

cheers,

Cheers guys,

It's all about fit then. I will follow the guidance.

I am suprised that there are no Miroku advocates out there... The Beretta seems to be the gun of choice

Cheers

J

Thats because you will be doing something special if you manage to break it! These guns are bomb-proof, thats why an awful lot of shooters, and the majority of clay grounds use them. They also look the nuts and hold their value exceptionally if well kept.

As said, the fit is the major factor.

Get to a good dealer or school, any decent one will let you try a gun for fit.

When you get the right one you'll feel it, it's the "mount" that will count, it should just "come up" naturally.

On the brand debate you'll always get lots of conflicting opinion. I'm 6'2" and large build with long arms, I now have a Miroku MK38 Sporter and my shooting is constantly improving. I sold my Beretta SP1 as I found it to thin and flimsy. (there's another opinion:-).

Your budget will get you any of the guns your looking at, new.

What you're going to use it for is the next factor, some game/rough/clays......buy a Sporter.

Good luck <_<

i use a beretta for clays and a miroku for pigeon driving game shooting both fitted me straight out of the box,but the first thing i look for in a gun is does it fit me? i have looked at lots of guns over the years and beretta's aways seem to fit my build and suit the way i shoot,so my advice would be go to as many local guns dealers and try lots of guns before you buy. <_<

Beretta, Browning and Miroku are all fine guns. A Miroku MK38 gives you a gun of at least equal quality for a lower price. I don't think there would be much argument with that.

Get whichever fits you best - an adjustable stock model would be my choice.

I am left handed.

Nearly all the guns I see listed are right handed. Is there that much difference that I would notice - what do left handers normally do. Do Berette and Miroku have a standard offering for legties.

Cheers

J

Browning 525 Sporter, new, L/H, check their website.

Edited by MITCHF

Cheers Guys,

Is it only semi autos that come with the bits to change the handing yourself?

J

Also a true LH O&U/SxS will have a LH top lever.

Back to your original question, I have an SP and rate it highly. I don't get on with the Browning/Miroku fit.

Here's one for you, if you're looking at a Beretta SP, why are you comparing it with a Miroku trap gun? MK70 is the one you want to compare with.

Best of luck :hmm:

Edited by WGD

Hi am new too shooting too and I am learning to shoot left handed and looking for a left handed gun, there aren't many proper left handed guns I found out today the the 686 SP3 was only sold as RH so any LH you see is bent or restocked. There are some other models LH around but there are a lot fewer.

You could buy a RH gun and and a lefthand stock or keep looking for a LH gun, try lots (many lefties use a RH or straight stock) I am quite broad in the shoulder so need more cast than many. I would say try as many as you can but also go see a proper gunsmith (not a sales person in a shop) and at least find out what fit is (how is your eye dominance)

Hi Giys,

Finally made my mind up.

Bought a Browning 525 Sporter with 30" barrel with a true left hand stock.

Fit like a glove straight off the rack.

It is beaufifully engineered and finely balanced for me and shoots great.

Delighted with it

It looked physically the same as the Miraku comparative, apparemtly as they are out of the same Japanese factory..

The Browninh stock fit me better, also cosmetically it is a nicer finish.

The Baretta SP looked great but felt a bit too light for me to have good balance/control.

HDAV - would recommend you have a look at them.

Cheers,

J

Hi Giys,

Finally made my mind up.

Bought a Browning 525 Sporter with 30" barrel with a true left hand stock.

Fit like a glove straight off the rack.

HDAV - would recommend you have a look at them.

Cheers,

J

I am today i noticed the number of LH was down by one on guntrader (yours i guess) where did you get it from, was it new or secondhand? I have tried a LH SP and 525 and with those 2 the SP was a better fit