rabbit head shot's with a .17hmr

adam scott

hello again.

Since writing my last topic i have been out yet again with the same .17hmr rifle :clapper: . it was a different night. we started off bashin a few clayes with a silver pigeon (lovely gun), then headed out for the rabbits. i started drivin and me mate nick had the first shot with success. head shot at 97yrs :boxing: this one i would later skin and freez. no more in that field so we headed to the next. i jumped on the back of the wagon. spotted my first rabbit. missed!!! damn it!!!! :censored: so moved on! i missed the next two rabbit's!!! not possible!!! i'm better than that. :wallbash: .

we set a target up on the root level of the nearest tree! prob around 60yrds i would guess. we soon realised that the rifle had fallen in the back of the truck from an upright position. the sights were around 12" out :good: :doh: ! sorted! back in buisness!! nailed em all from there on in :toast: . i even got so confident i aimed for a couple of heads! nailed em :boxing: . i picked up the head shots for food and leavin the mangled ones for the foxes as i am not allowed to shoot the foxes on this particular land bbeause the owner likes to sort the foxes himself.

hear are the head shots! all skinned and ready for the pan now!! num num!!! :clapper:

post-22812-1274692911.jpg

excellent!!! i'm gettin one for sure! with the the range this rifle has it would serve me really well in the future. but i also think i will put down for a .22 also as it would be nice in some area's to be a little quieter!

post-22812-1274692936.jpg

notice the top rabbit's eye hanging out! great shooting!!!

Good ones i always go for head shoots if poss` as i sell most of mine to the butcher. Had a nice one a few weeks ago the farmer was taking me around in his truck and stopped about 80 yards out from a hedge, a rabbit had his back towards us after a minute he lifted his head bang straight between the ears over his back, when i picked it up he said show off :good:

You can't beat those head shots with the 17HMR! I can usually tell if it is a good head shot as the rabbit's nerves will normally make it jump up in the air and do a summersault, particularly the younger ones - rather crazy but satisfying to watch as you know it's a good, clean kill! (Eeee bye 'eck, I'm a blood thirsty so and so aren't I)

You can't beat those head shots with the 17HMR! I can usually tell if it is a good head shot as the rabbit's nerves will normally make it jump up in the air and do a summersault, particularly the younger ones - rather crazy but satisfying to watch as you know it's a good, clean kill! (Eeee bye 'eck, I'm a blood thirsty so and so aren't I)

they jump with chest shots too :good: