204 ruger

300rum

You dont go by another name do you? Bennellimonetfeltro perhaps :hmm:

Aye up Sam, while your here giving some advice on this and that, can you explain to all were you get all your experience from, as the only calibre you shoot at the moment is a 12bore,

Or are you really "Chuck Hawks" under cover :lol::good::lol::lol:

i do apoligise Sam I see you are now well experienced with CF as youve had a nice 222 just over a week now

Edited by dingbat

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye up Sam, while your here giving some advice on this and that, can you explain to all were you get all your experience from, as the only calibre you shoot at the moment is a 12bore,

Or are you really "Chuck Hawks" under cover :good::P:P:P

i do apoligise Sam I see you are now well experienced with CF as youve had a nice 222 just over a week now

You wouldnt understand if I told you :good:

.204Ruger……..great rifle

.223Rem……….great rifle

.22-250Rem…...great rifle

What seems to be the problem lads :unsure:

G.M.

You forgot the .222 and Hornet, etc, etc, etc, ....... :sly::good::lol:

I think the problem is simply because someone thinks the 22-250 is all that should be allowed and can't accept they all have their plus and minus points...

ATB!!

Edited by Dekers

You forgot the .222 and Hornet, etc, etc, etc, ....... <_< :blink: :lol:

I think the problem is simply because someone thinks the 22-250 is all that should be allowed and can't accept they all have their plus and minus points...

ATB!!

Ah, the venerable .22hornet.

Yes they are a truly lovely round to shoot. I have 2 of them (BSA Royal and a Ruger 77/22).

Can’t understand this arguing though, because I find that I use whatever rifle I need for the farm I shoot on and the conditions I shoot in.

The Hornets are great for shooting over small fields or in my wood. The .223 is brilliant for shooting on late evenings when I am closer to houses (it’s got a Wildcat on the end) and if I shoot on the bigger fields in windier weather I take the .243 with 70grn V-max. Wonder if my .308 would be better. (now there’s a whole new ball game) :lol:

G.M.

Ah, the venerable .22hornet.

Yes they are a truly lovely round to shoot. I have 2 of them (BSA Royal and a Ruger 77/22).

Can’t understand this arguing though, because I find that I use whatever rifle I need for the farm I shoot on and the conditions I shoot in.

The Hornets are great for shooting over small fields or in my wood. The .223 is brilliant for shooting on late evenings when I am closer to houses (it’s got a Wildcat on the end) and if I shoot on the bigger fields in windier weather I take the .243 with 70grn V-max. Wonder if my .308 would be better. (now there’s a whole new ball game) <_<

G.M.

GM

I can't help thinking this is the background problem, you obviously have a few rifles and I have 7 different FAC calibres in the Cabinet (and shotguns and 12ft lb), so at any given site for any given quarry I will do my best to select the most appropriate tool and ammo!

A lot of people will only have one or maybe two guns which in many cases will be a compromise, hence some interesting comments born out of a lack of choice or possibly even experience of other tools!

Bigger is better is an attitude I see far too often on these sort of sites, with little or no consideration of the specific job required.

In some level of mitigation, there are not many people who shoot professionally, or on a lot of sites and "need," or can justify a cabinet full of rifles for the odd trip out.

Problem is far too many people with a small cabinet appear to experts on all calibres and everthing shooting!

Perhaps I better go away and find a tin helmet now!!

Edited by Dekers

You forgot the .222 and Hornet, etc, etc, etc, ....... <_< :blink: :lol:

ATB!!

Just to clarify my position. As previously stated, the 22-250 is the best all round .22C/F IMO. I fully concur with the regulatory view taken in Germany that the .222 and .223 are not man enough for the shooting of the smaller species of deer. As they don't retain sufficient energy passed 200m. Punching holes in paper and the occasional 250m muntjac does not prove their suitability.IMO

I accept that all calibres have their pluses and minuses. AFAIK both the .222 has to many minuses to make it worth consideration., and the .223 is out performed on every count by the .22-250. Logic therefore dictates that as an all round best performer the .22-0250 wins the contest.

Fortunately for me I have a wide selection of calibres to choose from in the cabinets. Acquired and decided upon through serious technical research, practical usage and the seeking of advice from people who's expert opinion I value, due to their considerable profession and participatory experience. I select what is right for me and what does the job better then anything else.

Others can make their choices and selection based upon what ever they want. What the mate uses, what their FLO will allow them or they think everybody else has one so I'll have one too. Personally I don't really care what they choose and why. The crunch comes when they don't have the right tools and or cant use the right tools .

Jack

I have been following this thread because it started with .204 question and as I am a great .204 fan I have been following the discussion.

This post was intended to to make a few observations regarding your very one sided and blinkered view of the "lesser" .22 c/f calibers and how wonderful and correct the German take is.

However, I just cant be bothered..................for goodness sake let it drop you are making yourself look a fool.

I accept that all calibres have their pluses and minuses. AFAIK both the .222 has to many minuses to make it worth consideration., and the .223 is out performed on every count by the .22-250. Logic therefore dictates that as an all round best performer the .22-0250 wins the contest.

Unfortunately it doesn't......because the .243 will outperform the 22-250 in almost every aspect, including it's use for smaller deer.

Load it up with 70 grn and you have a tool that will take foxes out to and in excess of the 22-250 only with less deviation in wind.

Use a 100grn bullet and you have a tool that will drop Roe and even Fallow.

So if we were really looking for an “All round” rifle calibre use against deer and fox, then the .243 would win every time over the 22-250.

But then again ……………………….. <_<

G.M.

Jack

I have been following this thread because it started with .204 question and as I am a great .204 fan I have been following the discussion.

This post was intended to to make a few observations regarding your very one sided and blinkered view of the "lesser" .22 c/f calibers and how wonderful and correct the German take is.

However, I just cant be bothered..................for goodness sake let it drop you are making yourself look a fool.

To be fair, I am not normally known for any sort of reconcilliary manner, but I have to say this is getting silly.

And "all rounder" and "Most powerful" seldom mean the same!

Chill Jack <_< :blink:

Jack, you say you have lots of calibres, but I am afraid I don't buy that. If you were a good shot and had a lot of calibres to choose from, you'd not have a problem dropping a muntjac at 250 yards with a 223. I'm bored now, you don't understand the term all-round, which means Good At Lots of Things, in this context. When you do we can have a meaningful discussion.

300RUM if you didn't lose the will to live reading through some of these posts I would just add if you want to try a 204 Ruger by all means give it a go. I recently screwed a Pac-Nor 3 groove .204 barrel onto my Sako 75 and I am very pleased with the results. Minimal recoil and minimal powder burned. It is a good round.

Jack, you say you have lots of calibres, but I am afraid I don't buy that." Oh well such is life! Do I feel the need to convince you? Nope!

"If you were a good shot and had a lot of calibres to choose from, you'd not have a problem dropping a muntjac at 250 yards with a 223." Oh I'm more than capable of dropping a mutjac at 250m with a .223. The question is would I choose to and the answer to that is no as the .223 performance is marginal out past 200m hence the germans not allowing its usage on roe.

" I'm bored now," You're not the only one!

"you don't understand the term all-round, which means Good At Lots of Things, in this context."Believe me. I understand the terminology and its usage in this context, thats why I maintanain that the .22-250 is a better all round .22 than the .223

"When you do we can have a meaningful discussion." That would be good. You'd need to get past this " in this context" blockage first before we can progress.

Edited by JackReady

To be fair, I am not normally known for any sort of reconcilliary manner, but I have to say this is getting silly.

And "all rounder" and "Most powerful" seldom mean the same!

Chill Jack :rolleyes:<_<

I agree it is getting silly. I get the feeling some people are just being obtuse. :blink:

I also agree that "all rounder" and "most powerful" seldom mean the same. But not in this case!

I'm so chilled its almost sub zero where I'm sitting. :rolleyes:

Jack if you don't take context into account then the biggest calibre in the world is always the one to use. 20mm cannon shells vs a rabbit? 120mm tank shells maybe? They're a lot better in the wind than a 22-250, and hit much harder too.

You don't understand English, you don't understand shooting, you are narrow-minded and annoying. I am done with this argument.

"Jack if you don't take context into account then the biggest calibre in the world is always the one to use. 20mm cannon shells vs a rabbit? 120mm tank shells maybe? They're a lot better in the wind than a 22-250, and hit much harder too." Haha! Like I said. I understand the terminology and its usage in this context, thats why I maintain that the .22-250 is a better all round .22c/f than the .223. I've also said in another post that I agree that bigger is not always better. But in regards to .22C/f faster (within reason no ones proposing a .22-3000 here, although I know of one that is used very effectively) is definitely better

"You don't understand English, you don't understand shooting, you are narrow-minded and annoying." Unfortunately for you I do understand English , and I do understand shooting and I won't be convinced that .223 out performs a .22-250 on anything other than possible barrel life.Big deal!

"I am done with this argument." That make 2 of us. At least we found something to finally agree upon. :good: