**** night!

Ozzy Fudd

well everyone usually posts up about the great nights theyve had, so thought id tell you about the woeful one i just had :yes:

went out shooting with one of my friends, both of us needed a night out away from the house. i took the hmr, he took a 12ga, thought we'd have all eventualities covered ??? first place we got to had 5 or 6 rabbits sitting out in plain view 260 yards down the field. perfect we thought, sneak down 100 yards or so and pick them off with the hmr, lets just have a smoke first... just as we dropped the cigarettes the wind picked up, occasional gusts up to 10mph i reckoned. didnt write the evening off, just thought we'd get stick to a limit of 100 yards max and take chest shots, aiming off a bit for the wind and only shooting when the wind was low. seemed like a good idea, but for 8 shots i accounted for one rabbit. so then i let my mate take the lead with his shotgun, and he didnt do much better. crawled to within 25 yards of 3 rabbits bunched together, took aim without them seeing him, unleashed both barrels, then watched 3 bobbing tails disappear off down the field without a mark on them :oops: at this point i lifted an old bucket and checked the zero at 100 yards, by this time the wind had died down to a very (very) light breeze, started to check my zero and realised i was about a foot out to the left. dont know how as the gun wasnt knocked or dropped, and was dead on last thursday night. spent 20 minutes chasing rounds around before nearly chucking the hmr over the hedge, so i came home for the good old reliable ruger, which never lets me down :hmm:

have to admit the ruger didnt let me down, but a combination of poor shooting and super tough rabbits meant we only got one more, which wasnt even fit for the bag as it had been hit twice with the 22 and once with a 12ga. called it a night and came home, after spending 20 minutes calling a fox - which turned out to be a cat :yes:

you know, sometimes i REALLY ******* hate shooting :lol:

We have one of those experiences now and then :yes:

My lad and I tried lamping Sat night - but didn't see a single rabbit. Lots of foxes and cubs around and the occasional hare too. But no rabbits.

Then bands of fog came in and we couldn't see anything anyway!

It can only get better :good:

Steve

HMR might need a clean. The accuracy can go after about 500 rounds.

i cleaned it a week ago, there was only 20 rounds through it before last night :yes:

might have been the scope mounts so i changed them last night, im off work next week so going to be doing some serious practice :good:

Mine goes off zero every now and then for no reason. I've resorted to checking before I leave every time. Just a couple of rounds but still feels like a waste of ammo.

Very annoying! I missed a few last time and the 3 i did get were hit everywhere other than I was aiming. Spent ages gutting them in the dark - next morning had to chuck as too much blood damage.

Even more annoying - walking home with an un-gutted one and thought 'I'll do this one down there...' only to realise I had left my knife 15 minutes walk away over many barbed wire fences.

Don't like shooting at the moment :yes: Can't wait to get on the pigeons when they eventually come back. :good:

"lets just have a smoke first... just as we dropped the cigarettes the wind picked up", there's your problem, as non smokers, the rabbits could smell you miles away :-)

M.

:lol: the problem was we just couldnt hit them, one actually ran in from 100 yards to 50 yards when i was shooting at it, looked like it was saying "hold on, ill make things easier for you, can you hit me now??" (and the answer was no, i cant :yes::lol:)

if the scope was a foot out its hardly surprising you weren't hitting them set it up again and see what happens, aren't you using one of those leapers scopes?

:lol: its a zos, never any problems before. i'd wager money its the scope mounts but ill know for definite next week :good: