Any stripping techniques... of the wallpaper kind?

gibby

Has anyone picked up any useful tips for stripping wallpaper with a steamer? I've offered my services to earn some beer tokens but have a horrible feeling as it's not going to be a walk in the park. It's the old fashioned woodchip paper onto plaster, not too many layers I don't think.

Gibby

I love Stripping wallpaper(its like picking scabs for me)Apparently i used too be really good at it as the child :good:

Woodchip is a nasty one. This house was covered in it when we first move in.

We just had too soak and steam it for hours.

And even then the plaster can away with it. :lol:

So now i have no wallpaper what so ever in the house. Just nicely plastered walls :good:

Which is no fun when you have the urge to strip :good:

xxxSuzy

Nowt worse than woodchip. Spent hours trying to get a pattern match when I used it last. :good:

As everyone has said just keep soaking the stuff. If its painted, especially with silk emulsion then a light scoring with the scraper will help get the water in there.

I personally don't like to use a steamer as they tend to blow the plaster.

Nowt worse than woodchip. Spent hours trying to get a pattern match when I used it last. :good:

As everyone has said just keep soaking the stuff. If its painted, especially with silk emulsion then a light scoring with the scraper will help get the water in there.

I personally don't like to use a steamer as they tend to blow the plaster.

:good::yes:

If the paper it well painted wetting it will do naff all unless you score it (edge of scraper, not a stanley knife etc). If you try to use a steamer on heavily painted woodchip you'll have to leave it on so long you will end up pulling off sheets of plaster with it. :lol:

Score with scraper and went down using warm water and a large brush (e.g. a 10" pasting brush), use LOTS of water, leave for 30mins or so wet it again and try the paper. Sometimes you're lucky and its just one layer with lining paper beneath so that should do the trick. If its layers upon layers try not to use the steamer until you're through the paint, especially if its an old and/or damp house. :good:

Don't forget to sheet up the place if its furnished!

Have fun :hmm: (Comes from 20 years of nights/weekends/summer holidays 'helping' my dad who's a self employed Painter and Decorator)

Mark

Edited by Breastman

:hmm::rolleyes:

If the paper it well painted wetting it will do naff all unless you score it (edge of scraper, not a stanley knife etc). If you try to use a steamer on heavily painted woodchip you'll have to leave it on so long you will end up pulling off sheets of plaster with it. :rolleyes:

Score with scraper and went down using warm water and a large brush (e.g. a 10" pasting brush), use LOTS of water, leave for 30mins or so wet it again and try the paper. Sometimes you're lucky and its just one layer with lining paper beneath so that should do the trick. If its layers upon layers try not to use the steamer until you're through the paint, especially if its an old and/or damp house. :rolleyes:

Don't forget to sheet up the place if its furnished!

Have fun :lol: (Comes from 20 years of nights/weekends/summer holidays 'helping' my dad who's a self employed Painter and Decorator)

Mark

Couldnt agree more :yes: done P&D for about 15 years and one thing i have learned is that its best to score and soak the paper as much as possible, hard work but it will come off.

Steamers can remove the plaster if you leave them on the wall for to long so be careful and enjoy :lol::lol:

Also dont be tempted to use one of those heavy duty scrapers, the four inch jobs with the razor sharp blade.

You just end up creating more work with one of those things. They gouge the walls and can easily take slithers of plaster off. Ensuring a couple of extra hours work with the polifilla.

I've got a rotary scratcher (only way i can describe it)-it has 3 toothed wheels that dig into paper and rip the surface open with ease-you simply rub it over the walls in a circular motion and then spray with soapy water-wait 5 minutes and you dont need a scraper cos the paper simply peels away (even woodchip)-brilliant invention. :hmm:

I've got a rotary scratcher (only way i can describe it)-it has 3 toothed wheels that dig into paper and rip the surface open with ease-you simply rub it over the walls in a circular motion and then spray with soapy water-wait 5 minutes and you dont need a scraper cos the paper simply peels away (even woodchip)-brilliant invention. :rolleyes:

you can hire whats known as an hedgehog roller from hire shops for a couple of quid its simply a wooden roller with spikes in to perforate the surface :blush:

I've got a rotary scratcher (only way i can describe it)-it has 3 toothed wheels that dig into paper and rip the surface open with ease-you simply rub it over the walls in a circular motion and then spray with soapy water-wait 5 minutes and you dont need a scraper cos the paper simply peels away (even woodchip)-brilliant invention. :rolleyes:

Yes, excelent tool. I also have the wallpaper cutter (going off theme) but they are two top tools to have in your deco armoury