.222 Rifle..Right choice??

Norrie

Geordie

In your line of work you should be use to having a few trying characters around.

It always astounds me that some people take thinks so seriously. Anybody would think that it was it was a matter of life and death the way they allow themselves to get so wound up of differences of opinions.

Any way Geordie. Be happy mate. I know I certainly am. :good:

Hi Jack

I am generally an optimistic pessimist it was meant as a joke and if i knew how to put those emoticon smiley faces things on i would have used some, you are right it is so easy to wind some people up.By the way i have had a 22.250 but i still prefer my triple duce for foxing much nicer calibre to shoot i do have a 243 and a 308 aswell.I also have a 22 wmr semi auto much better than the .17 hmr

Cheers Geordie

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jack

I am generally an optimistic pessimist it was meant as a joke and if i knew how to put those emoticon smiley faces things on i would have used some, you are right it is so easy to wind some people up.By the way i have had a 22.250 but i still prefer my triple duce for foxing much nicer calibre to shoot i do have a 243 and a 308 aswell.I also have a 22 wmr semi auto much better than the .17 hmr

Cheers Geordie

Hi Geordieh

I'm the opposite mate a pessimistic optimist. :angry: Its all psychology mate, if you know the right buttons to push you can get nearly everybody to start climbing the bars of their cage. I guess you're use to pushing the right buttons in your line of work. Gotta hand it to you mate its not a job I could do. I like your choices of calibres Geo sounds like you've got most of the bases covered. All you need now is a 6.5X08 or .260. I've never had a go with a .22mag. Like you I've tried a 17hmr and didn't like it so gave it back to the lad I it borrowed from.

Hi Geordieh

I'm the opposite mate a pessimistic optimist. :blush: Its all psychology mate, if you know the right buttons to push you can get nearly everybody to start climbing the bars of their cage. I guess you're use to pushing the right buttons in your line of work. Gotta hand it to you mate its not a job I could do. I like your choices of calibres Geo sounds like you've got most of the bases covered. All you need now is a 6.5X08 or .260. I've never had a go with a .22mag. Like you I've tried a 17hmr and didn't like it so gave it back to the lad I it borrowed from.

I stole a friends HMR because I liked it so much :oops:

I would say that the .223 has a little more drop than the .22-250, but as far as shoting is concerned its not reasonable to compare then accept past around 250yds?

As they are so close ballisticaly until then.

Although I would say the .243 has got to be the most versatile in the U.K., hundreds of S/H and new rifles, the blistering speed, FASTER than the .22-250, and you can even lob 100gr bulets at the 3000fps mark?

If you shooting say close to 100rds a week say, the .223 is definately more for you as barrel life will be an issue, especially if your into range work...however if you say shoot 10 rounds a week after zeroing then how long will it take you to get thorugh 3,500 rounds?

Steve

Edited by stevethevanman

• 3 weeks later...
I'd stick to it to be honest. There isn't enough of a difference between the two to bother. There is plenty of secondhand rifles available in both calibres.

Only trouble really is, the .222 is as deker says, dead in the water. Most major rifle manufacturers aren't making guns in .222 anymore, and ammunition isn't as readily available as it used to be.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it :good:

Agree that the 222 is getting pushed aside I have no probs geting ammo for mine though,and for Roe in Scotland it does the biz nicely

http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/ammunition/.222.html

regards

Sako85243

Agree that the 222 is getting pushed aside I have no probs geting ammo for mine though,and for Roe in Scotland it does the biz nicely

http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/ammunition/.222.html

regards

Sako85243

Hiya, Just what I wanted to hear...thanks for that...:blink: Mainly, coz, i've bought/buying one...and was in seeing my local RFD, he's going to stock ammo for me, save a trip to Glasgow...:good:

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I have just recently joined the forum. and sorry to rake over old ashes .But the guff i read about 22.250 223.and 222 is unbelievable .I have owned and used all three calibers and the one i have kept on my ticket is 222 I am in scotland and i use it on fox and roedeer I have never had a roe walk away from my shot or a fox i regularly take roe out to 2 hundred yards with it and the ammo for it is readily available so i dont know where that myth came from.I have been shooting for 45 years with rifles i have had all sorts of calibers but for fox and roe 222 is more than adequate In new zealand many thousands of red deer are shot by deer controllers using 222 and american and canadian airforce issue 222 rifles to air crew as survival rifles in event of forced landings and they they have been tested out on many large mammals and been up for the job .so please try one out before spouting incorrect information to shooters who are asking advice

I have just recently joined the forum. and sorry to rake over old ashes .But the guff i read about 22.250 223.and 222 is unbelievable .I have owned and used all three calibers and the one i have kept on my ticket is 222 I am in scotland and i use it on fox and roedeer I have never had a roe walk away from my shot or a fox i regularly take roe out to 2 hundred yards with it and the ammo for it is readily available so i dont know where that myth came from.I have been shooting for 45 years with rifles i have had all sorts of calibers but for fox and roe 222 is more than adequate In new zealand many thousands of red deer are shot by deer controllers using 222 and american and canadian airforce issue 222 rifles to air crew as survival rifles in event of forced landings and they they have been tested out on many large mammals and been up for the job .so please try one out before spouting incorrect information to shooters who are asking advice

Actually, what is being spouted in the vast majority of cases is not information - incorrect or otherwise - but opinions, which will be legion and varied in nature. It's what you get on an internet forum.