.222 Rifle..Right choice??

Norrie

:good: I dont I use a .222, and as yet...have never had a runner or needed a second shot.....or missed one with it...BUT ive only had it a few months, and shot 5-6 foxes with it........theres plenty of time............

I missed one with the hmr at 90 yards the other night while out rabbit shooting, I thought that as I was close id take a head shot, I was leaning through a convenient fence and as I fired, he leant down to sniff something and the impact on the tree behind him sent him packing....so yes I do miss, but not usually from pulling a shot!!!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had something similar happen last year when sat watching a fox earth waiting for the vixen to show before sorting out the cubs. I'd shot the dog fox earlier in the day.

I was using a 17 Rem at the time and bullet hit the bank just as she turned to look back over her shoulder. I managed to drop her from behind as she sped up the bank with the second shot. I don't know who was more surprised me or her.

Jack you really are a ******* retard aren't you? With HMR, I agree those distances are mad, but 222 or 223? Quite possible. Certainly 240 yards is easy, And 300 in daylight no major problem either. Out that far 223 is still packing nearly twice a 22 magnum at the muzzle, 222 not far behind.

Charlie fox isn't getting up, so long as that round is in the front half of the animal. As long as the bullet isn't FMJ, that's basically fact. At most, he might go a hundred yards or so - whoop dee do.

"Yep deadly serious! I've seen foxes shot at 300m with a 25-06 using 75gr bullets that carried way more energy and velocity than your .223 out to 300m, that then ran 200m+ before a second killing shot was fired.

The name of the guy who never misses is .......... Billy Liar! Clip one at 300m and you've got little chance of getting in another shot in order to finish the job.

Are you not contradicting yourself there Jack ?

I had something similar happen last year when sat watching a fox earth waiting for the vixen to show before sorting out the cubs. I'd shot the dog fox earlier in the day.

I was using a 17 Rem at the time and bullet hit the bank just as she turned to look back over her shoulder. I managed to drop her from behind as she sped up the bank with the second shot. I don't know who was more surprised me or her.

so let me get this right a .222 or .223 is not good enough but a .17 is :good:

Edited by ST3V3

Jack you really are a ******* retard aren't you? With HMR, I agree those distances are mad, but 222 or 223? Quite possible. Certainly 240 yards is easy, And 300 in daylight no major problem either. Out that far 223 is still packing nearly twice a 22 magnum at the muzzle, 222 not far behind.

Charlie fox isn't getting up, so long as that round is in the front half of the animal. As long as the bullet isn't FMJ, that's basically fact. At most, he might go a hundred yards or so - whoop dee do.

Easy there slugger, we don't want you blowing a blood vessel in the old brain box, now do we. :good:

For someone posting under the name Mr Logic you don't appear to demonstrate much of it do you mate. Who mentioned 300m in daylight only you. I suppose that's just putting it into context. :good:

One of the foxes that ran having been shot with the 25-06 did so with a large amount of its intestines dragging along, it made about 70m before I managed to bowled it over with a shot from my .243. The other fox had been hit in the front leg just below the elbow due to it having decided to have it away on its toes just as my oppo pulled the trigger. So I suggest you wind your neck back in and go practice some more with that .223.

Edited by JackReady

It would at first appear so. We were lamping as a 4 man team at the time 2 rifles and a lamper in the back and a spotter in the passenger seat, and found it the best way to operate as we could rotate the team across the various tasks during the night and still stay reasonably fresh.

Those were the days. :good:

Nice May evening, no breeze to speak of, 25gr Berger bullet, and about 120m to the bottom of the bank, 180m to the earth, rifle on the bipod, and a comfy cushion pad to sit on. :good:

I believe it's June now, tuesday, if you don't know what day it is.

Hiya, just had my interview tonight......now, my question...I dont see a lot of .222 guns around, either for sale, or being used... is this a popular calibre??In Scotland YES !!! That`s why we have all the ,222 ammo...I was advised to go for this by a friend (He`s a good friend), who's much more knowledgable than me...so, go for it I did....should I have gone for .223 ??Why, what distance are YOU good at shooting, as most rifles take the P and it is the person who misses It's not too late for me to change calibreNo just phone them if you are so inclined.....so...hopefully you can help me there..:good:

Cheers guys..:good:

IMHO keep it .222 but only if you like a sweet calibre that shoots straight and soft.

CLICKY - FM`s first attempt with my .222 aged approx 14/15 years old at 100 on a deer target and second in that age group was Flash.

"Yep deadly serious! I've seen foxes shot at 300m with a 25-06 using 75gr bullets that carried way more energy and velocity than your .223 out to 300m, that then ran 200m+ before a second killing shot was fired.

The name of the guy who never misses is .......... Billy Liar! Clip one at 300m and you've got little chance of getting in another shot in order to finish the job.

One of the foxes that ran having been shot with the 25-06 did so with a large amount of its intestines dragging along, it made about 70m before I managed to bowled it over with a shot from my .243.

It's getting more confusing now...!!!!

Or are we talking of a different Fox...?

.22-250 is a great round but it's not the only option. .222 is great too, as is .223. I don't think this chap's made a bad choice with a triple.

IMHO keep it .222 but only if you like a sweet calibre that shoots straight and soft.

Hi All, After MUCH discussion, with both my (ex ) stalking mate, and FLO.... and taking all your posts into account....I've decided for a few reasons, to stick to the .222....main one is, I'm a total newbie to shooting "real" guns...and want to walk before I can run....also, at the moment, I'm only after Fox, and Roe, so, the .222 will do for that. :hmm:

The ammo is easily bought too...Rab..I'll give the Stirling shop a shout mate, thanks for that...I work in Stirling often....:hmm:

Another is cost/economics,...the .222's I've found are a tad less expensive that the bigger calibre guns, and thats an important part for me...till I sell my boat at least..:stupid:

As I said, experience is my main concern.... I really want to progress to stalking Reds , but at the moment, theres no real reason for me to have a large/er calibre gun, as there are no Red Deer on any my permissions, only Roe...so.... :good:

BUT, on saying that....I've been invited with my mate on a Red Deer cull, up where we fish on the West Coast of Scotland...and at some point, I will need a bigger calibre....

So...Can I thank EVERONE of you for your much needed, and very valuable advice....I really do appreciate it all.... :good:

Please feel free to continue BTW, I'll gladly keep reading..:yay:

Edited by Norrie

Hi Jack

For once we agree you are trying, definitely trying

Geordie

Geordie

In your line of work you should be use to having a few trying characters around.

It always astounds me that some people take thinks so seriously. Anybody would think that it was it was a matter of life and death the way they allow themselves to get so wound up of differences of opinions.

Any way Geordie. Be happy mate. I know I certainly am. :good:

Easy there slugger, we don't want you blowing a blood vessel in the old brain box, now do we. :good:

For someone posting under the name Mr Logic you don't appear to demonstrate much of it do you mate. Who mentioned 300m in daylight only you. I suppose that's just putting it into context. :good:

One of the foxes that ran having been shot with the 25-06 did so with a large amount of its intestines dragging along, it made about 70m before I managed to bowled it over with a shot from my .243. The other fox had been hit in the front leg just below the elbow due to it having decided to have it away on its toes just as my oppo pulled the trigger. So I suggest you wind your neck back in and go practice some more with that .223.

No, you're the one who mentioned 300m, I am simply saying that in daylight it's a pretty easy shot. At the end of the day, all shots have the potential to go wrong and this happens. You clearly show there is no point in a cannon for fox work as it doesn't guard against this.

So we get back to my original point which is that a 300 yard shot with a 222 is both achievable and humane, and you should not be criticising Evil Elvis for this. While I disagree with him about HMR, he is right about his .222. When mine turns up, maybe I'll knock Charlie over at 400 just to prove you're talking rubbish.

Norrie - I am glad you stuck with .222, there is no reason for you to change. While 223 gives you component and ammo availability, nothing wrong with 222. It will destroy roe and fox perfectly well, and at reasonable ranges too.