.222 Rifle..Right choice??

Norrie

Hiya, just had my interview tonight...and the gun calibres I asked for were ok...no problems there at all... Air FAC, .22lr and .222 .

I think the lad has done the right thing as i dont know his shooting history, so a 22.250 may be a bit to much for a new fac owner.

The lad may be trying to learn to walk before he starts running.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barrel life is a subjective judgement call as it depends entirely on what the user finds acceptable. bys way of grouping. Some of my BR friends are binning barrels that I would be perfectly happy with at 1000 rounds. Go figure.

Accuracy is an subjective and immeasurable criteria unless you remove the human element and have a like for like set up.

Your .223 like my .22-250 need different twist rate barrels to stabilise 50 and 75 gr bullets. I expect you'll tell me yours shoot both equally well now. :good:

As I have no need to shoot at Bisely. I'd need to join the NRA for a start. That's hardly a plus point IMO.

If I was solely punching holes in paper at 600m and wanted something cheap to run a .223 might be on my list of choices some way behind the 6.5x47. As I want something that has a better ballistics, greater versatility, and has a better terminal performance. The .22-250 hits all the numbers as far as I'm concerned.

End of.

Yep, actually a bit better than that, my .223 Tikka T3 Lite stainless 1-8 twist, 19.5inch barrel seems to handle everything from 40-75g remarkably well, Don't ask me to explain why, I struggle to understand it as well, because all the books and charts suggest that can't happen, but at 200 Yard Short Siberia the groups were excellent and all in a straight up and down line depending on weight.

Perhaps the reality is actually a bit different to the paperwork sometimes! :good:

My old Remington shot half inch with 40, 50, 55, 69 And 75 gr loads.

Like to see you shoot an F/TR match with a 6.5...

And you're missing the point - we are talking All Round calibre which means for people OTHER than you. Otherwise you are talking a rifle for your particular circumstances. By the sound of things you love your 22-250 enough to marry it so clearly it works for you, but that's not the point.

To try to keep this topic where the OP intended, 222 is a good calibre but largely eclipsed by 223. I have just ordered a 222, but that's because I want to play. If I want the ultimate long range fox tool, that's my 243, but I have other considerations such as noise, accuracy, cost (killing rabbits too) to consider, and I've not owned a 222 yet.

Logically speaking though, get a 223 with 1:9 barrel - nothing it can't do except big deer, and that is only because of the law.

stick with the 222 mate. it will do all you need. i dont buy the 222 as a dead caliber. there is still lots of ammo about for them. as for the 223 with fast twist yes it can get you out to long range with heavier bullets but inless your doing that sort of shooting then its not needed.

i have no interest in rane shooting so going for a fast twist 223 didnt cross my mind. i went for the 22/250 because its a cracking foxing round. its fast flat shooting and alot harder hitting then 223. i no people say dead is dead and there right. at night as you no range is harder to get right inless you have rangefinder and then you havent allways got time to range.

the 22/250 loaded with a good fast 50 grain bullet around a 1 inch high is very flat and not much hold over to 300 yards. that for me suites me. i havent soot a fox at 300 yards yet but had a couple at the 250 yard mark.

which isnt as far as some people have shot them im betting. but is a long way at night under the lamp.

i like the 222 tho also and my dad has a tikka m595 which ive just had put on my ticket. its had the barrel cut to 18 inchs from 22 inchs. yes it will be down abit on fps but as the 222 is a good 200 yard foxer its ideal for the motor where the compact rifle will come into its own.

its lighter then my 22/250 and will be a joy to use come crop time when the land i can drive round has fields that are more suited to the range of the 222. yes it will go pass 200 yards but over that i use the 22/250. for the reasons above flat and harder hitting at longer range.

people banging on about barrel wear what does it matter at 3500 rounds ? thats alot for foxing. and after that im betting it would still group well enough to kill foxes its not like your after a pence piece at 300 yards at night.

loudness is a thing that baffles me. some people say 22/250 is loud i havent found it much louder then the 223 my mate use to shoot. again different land tho can have a afect on sound as we all no. woods close by make shots louder and around buildings do to.

for the difference there is dont think a farmer would moan about a 22/250 noise and not moan about a 223 there centrefires. centrefires make noise :good::P

there is a sweet 222 tikka on ukv site thats worth a look you wont go wrong with them.

if you do want to upset the 223 boys on the range get a 22/250 with fast twist. 75 grain bullets over 3200 fps. leave the 223 in the wake.

run for cover now :good::P

Edited by jamie g

stick with the 222 mate. it will do all you need. i dont buy the 222 as a dead caliber. there is still lots of ammo about for them. as for the 223 with fast twist yes it can get you out to long range with heavier bullets but inless your doing that sort of shooting then its not needed.

i have no interest in rane shooting so going for a fast twist 223 didnt cross my mind. i went for the 22/250 because its a cracking foxing round. its fast flat shooting and alot harder hitting then 223. i no people say dead is dead and there right. at night as you no range is harder to get right inless you have rangefinder and then you havent allways got time to range.

the 22/250 loaded with a good fast 50 grain bullet around a 1 inch high is very flat and not much hold over to 300 yards. that for me suites me. i havent soot a fox at 300 yards yet but had a couple at the 250 yard mark.

which isnt as far as some people have shot them im betting. but is a long way at night under the lamp.

i like the 222 tho also and my dad has a tikka m595 which ive just had put on my ticket. its had the barrel cut to 18 inchs from 22 inchs. yes it will be down abit on fps but as the 222 is a good 200 yard foxer its ideal for the motor where the compact rifle will come into its own.

its lighter then my 22/250 and will be a joy to use come crop time when the land i can drive round has fields that are more suited to the range of the 222. yes it will go pass 200 yards but over that i use the 22/250. for the reasons above flat and harder hitting at longer range.

people banging on about barrel wear what does it matter at 3500 rounds ? thats alot for foxing. and after that im betting it would still group well enough to kill foxes its not like your after a pence piece at 300 yards at night.

loudness is a thing that baffles me. some people say 22/250 is loud i havent found it much louder then the 223 my mate use to shoot. again different land tho can have a afect on sound as we all no. woods close by make shots louder and around buildings do to.

for the difference there is dont think a farmer would moan about a 22/250 noise and not moan about a 223 there centrefires. centrefires make noise :hmm::D

there is a sweet 222 tikka on ukv site thats worth a look you wont go wrong with them.

if you do want to upset the 223 boys on the range get a 22/250 with fast twist. 75 grain bullets over 3200 fps. leave the 223 in the wake.

run for cover now :lol: :(

22-250 are not allowed on many ranges...particularly MOD (Bisley), as they are too fast :P:P Funny old world!! :good::good::P

22-250 are not allowed on many ranges...particularly MOD (Bisley), as they are too fast :P:P Funny old world!! :good::good::P

deker i was just making the point some rifles are better then others at somethings. but again they have there downsides to.i dont range shoot so i dont no much about range rifles. but even a 223 with fast twist can reach out to 600 yards and above with right bullets.

but imo if you want to go out to that range and more. there are better options then 223 for this.

ive shot at some targets at 500 yards some years back with a friend with his 223 tikka tactical and it was alot of fun.

if we wanted to do it all the time tho then a cheap 308 would be nice to buy.

dont you feel this had gone off the OP's original question somewhat?:good:

Les :good:

i agree i was just stating facts you have to get which rifle shoots your shooting best. and as a foxing caliber which the guy is after the 222 is more then enough.

i agree i was just stating facts you have to get which rifle shoots your shooting best. and as a foxing caliber which the guy is after the 222 is more then enough.

as stated,nothing wrong with the .222,as i went for that cal based on a gunsmiths(a good shooting mate really)and he would never reccomend a dead cal to me.in fact he put in for a variation and bought a sako .222 and it is superb,very accurate and more so than his 223,which speaks volumes for the .222.

he uses factory ammo in his .222 and i was amazed at how good it was and when i shot it,it had a wow factor to me and i can understand why he reccomnended the .222 to me.a very good choice. :good: the reason i got the .222 was for rabbits and foxes.

before i`m asked,i have shot many centrefire rifles and never purchased one but,i can still comment on them even though i have not owned one. :good:

al

Edited by albob

Do you know gentlemen……..many moons ago the venerable .22Hornet was consigned to the scrap heap as being “Dead in the water”. This wonderful little rifle kept hanging on in there, and at ranges of 100-150yds will take out a fox as well as any other rifle around. It uses a miniscule amount of powder (13grns of Lil’Gun) and a tub lasts for ever.

I had a .222 many years ago and regret ever selling it as it was phenomenally accurate, which was why the BR shooters used to use it before 6mm BR etc.

I have a .223…and it shoots very well. But I wish I still owned that little .222.

Buy the rifle you really want and if it shoots ……keep it.

G.M.

I have cz 527 in .222 shoots 1/2" groups. do i need a .223 / .22-250 NOPE not while my .222 carries on doing what it is :unsure:

No reason why you should, the difference between .222 and .223 is not worth the debate, 22-250 has more grunt, but..... :good::lol::sly:

deker i was just making the point some rifles are better then others at somethings. but again they have there downsides to.i dont range shoot so i dont no much about range rifles. but even a 223 with fast twist can reach out to 600 yards and above with right bullets.

but imo if you want to go out to that range and more. there are better options then 223 for this.

ive shot at some targets at 500 yards some years back with a friend with his 223 tikka tactical and it was alot of fun.

if we wanted to do it all the time tho then a cheap 308 would be nice to buy.

No issues!! :unsure: :sly::good:

Do you know gentlemen……..many moons ago the venerable .22Hornet was consigned to the scrap heap as being “Dead in the water”. This wonderful little rifle kept hanging on in there, and at ranges of 100-150yds will take out a fox as well as any other rifle around. It uses a miniscule amount of powder (13grns of Lil’Gun) and a tub lasts for ever.

I had a .222 many years ago and regret ever selling it as it was phenomenally accurate, which was why the BR shooters used to use it before 6mm BR etc.

I have a .223…and it shoots very well. But I wish I still owned that little .222.

Buy the rifle you really want and if it shoots ……keep it.

G.M.

The Hornet still has many uses but was eclipsed by others calibres and changes in Deer laws...the .222 has been kicked into touch by the .223 and as they are so close the .222 IS dead in the water. I have nothing against the .222, and it is a good calibre but the edge has gone, and even Remington have very little chambered in .222Remington anymore. The Hornet had nothing that close!!

I cannot in all honesty today advise anyone to buy a .222 over a .223, even if they reload!!

ATB!!

Hi Guys...Phew!!...what a discussion I've created...and I've loved reading all the comments..Thank you all so much.... <_< .

I cant get hold of my FLO till tomorrow, due to the bank holiday.. so, will phone him then and have a chat with him.... :lol:

I also called Glasgow Field Sports on Saturday, they say that .222 ammo is not a problem to get, they have lots in stock ..so...that ( for me) dispells that part...

My reason for asking for a .222 is, it will be my first "big calibre" rifle, and I will be using it for Fox, and Roe...and I was advised by my mate, also one of my referees, who was a stalker in the Highlands for years...he gave it up, but still does lots of shooting , so, that might be why he advised me to get a .222, I'll also get back to him..:P

Another mate has a 22.250, and its a lovely gun, hits everything ( almost) that he shoots at.. :lol: .bit expensive for me right now tho, this is a new hobby for me, and I want to walk before I can run...:lol:

The learning curve is massive for me...but as is shooting, its VERY enjoyable...

Thanks again guys, and as soon as I speak to my FLO, and re-read the thread, I'll get back and let you know what I decide... :blink:

Hi Guys...Phew!!...what a discussion I've created...and I've loved reading all the comments..Thank you all so much.... <_< .

I cant get hold of my FLO till tomorrow, due to the bank holiday.. so, will phone him then and have a chat with him.... :lol:

I also called Glasgow Field Sports on Saturday, they say that .222 ammo is not a problem to get, they have lots in stock ..so...that ( for me) dispells that part...

My reason for asking for a .222 is, it will be my first "big calibre" rifle, and I will be using it for Fox, and Roe...and I was advised by my mate, also one of my referees, who was a stalker in the Highlands for years...he gave it up, but still does lots of shooting , so, that might be why he advised me to get a .222, I'll also get back to him..:P

Another mate has a 22.250, and its a lovely gun, hits everything ( almost) that he shoots at.. :lol: .bit expensive for me right now tho, this is a new hobby for me, and I want to walk before I can run...:lol:

The learning curve is massive for me...but as is shooting, its VERY enjoyable...

Thanks again guys, and as soon as I speak to my FLO, and re-read the thread, I'll get back and let you know what I decide... :blink:

Pm received - thank you- responded this morning with the questions answered, as requested

link- http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...howtopic=126111

Les

Edited by Lez325

Hiya, just had my interview tonight...and the gun calibres I asked for were ok...no problems there at all... Air FAC, .22lr and .222 ....now, my question...I dont see a lot of .222 guns around, either for sale, or being used... is this a popular calibre??...I was advised to go for this by a friend , who's much more knowledgable than me...so, go for it I did....should I have gone for .223 ?? It's not too late for me to change calibre.....so...hopefully you can help me there..:lol:

Cheers guys..:P

Good news on the interview Norrie <_< Did you ask for a sound moderator :lol: Bushwear in Stirling has a good selection of ammo & probably cheaper than Glasgow Field Sports :blink:

Probably heading out there this afternoon !

I have cz 527 in .222 shoots 1/2" groups. do i need a .223 / .22-250 NOPE not while my .222 carries on doing what it is

Snap, I got mine as I knew how quiet thay are, often shooting near houses at night it doesnt cause the rolling thunderclap across the feilds like bionicles .243 does.Its superbly accurate too, having taken bunnies out to 300 yards im sure a fox would be no problem at that range, best so far 240. :good:

Its superbly accurate too, having taken bunnies out to 300 yards im sure a fox would be no problem at that range, best so far 240.

Oh dear! The greater the distance the greater the potential to pull the shot.

In the words of Robert Ruark. Always Use Enough Gun!

Edited by JackReady

Oh dear! The greater the distance the greater the potential to pull the shot.

You cant be serious? Pull the shot? I shoot off a pod 99% of the time and if I can shoot rabbits at 300 yards then a fox should be no problem!!!

In the words of Robert Ruark. Always Use Enough Gun!

At 300 yards the rabbit more or less disintigrates...........you telling me that the round isnt good enough to kill a fox?

The one at 240 yards dropped on the spot and the round went straight through devastating its heart and lungs, and while I now know that I would need to hold over at 300 yards, i dont see it as a problem or much of a challenge.And as quoted at me in another thread, I also dont see it as disrespectful to my quarry, dead is dead!!

The majority of my foxes are shot between 100-150 anyway. :good:

"You cant be serious? Pull the shot? I shoot off a pod 99% of the time and if I can shoot rabbits at 300 yards then a fox should be no problem!!!

At 300 yards the rabbit more or less disintigrates...........you telling me that the round isnt good enough to kill a fox? "Yep deadly serious! I've seen foxes shot at 300m with a 25-06 using 75gr bullets that carried way more energy and velocity than your .223 out to 300m, that then ran 200m+ before a second killing shot was fired.

"I also dont see it as disrespectful to my quarry, dead is dead!!" The name of the guy who never misses is .......... Billy Liar! Clip one at 300m and you've got little chance of getting in another shot in order to finish the job.

"The majority of my foxes are shot between 100-150 anyway." Good. Especially as you use a .223