Homemade rotor pictures

sean johnston

No deako i have not thought of selling them as there is quite a bit of work in them.The engineering side of things is very easy for me as this is my trade but i would like a more durable finnish on it as this is the only thing that lets it down.Oh and cranfield i will tell my uncle he has a rabbit in his garden and we will have a bit of target practice :(

looks good sean have made about 15 almost the same myself but differrent disc to put arms on which trying to work out was hard part lathe had to do a bit of over time but if any one wants one with arms i sell them for £50 and have 6 complete ones left and 10 waiting to be welded when i can be bothered but well done sean great satisfaction to see your own stuff work did you use srung steel for arms as getting lenghts of this was hardest part for me? :S

Predator. Heating and welding spring steel is not really advisable unless you have the gear and knowledge to post heat the steel to bring it back to its natural state as it was before welding or heating.The box section on the ends of my arms are fastened to the bar with grub screws not welded.You probably wouldnt notice any difference if you did weld it without post heating but this is what i have been told about spring steel.

Regards sean.

sprung steel when ordered if you do not state you would like straight lenghts it comes in its natural form which is coiled up "try straighting that" been there done that had to give it too spring maker in heddingham and he had it put right for me how i dont know just cost arm and leg thats all i know but it was his suggestion to warm it slowly if it droops :S

• 2 weeks later...

8-) It should be a good copy,Sean had me running out to my car with a tape rule every 1/2 hour one cold night and Emailing him the measurements. In the end I just spread it over the carpet waiting for the next queery.

It certainly looks the bizz though and well done Sean. :(

Ernyha.Thanks again for the measurements.I did deviate slightly from the measurements you gave me and i used 5.5 mm spring steel for the arms which seem to be better.The only thing i dont like about it is the weight,i dont suppose this would be to bad if you were only taking the rotor but when you have all the rest of the gear as well it is a pain.It certainly works well enough though. :(

:D Sean, I agree the weight is a problem,that,s why I love the stubble where it is possible to drive to the hide to load and unload.

In the meantime I have to rely on my trusty packhorse Daviddjlloyd to do the humping.

Saturday he struggled back to the motor with the rotor,car battery,his own gear and the birds.Not bad for an oldie! 8-)

P.S. No I am not going outside to weigh my rotor !!! :(  :D  :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ernya, have you thought of getting your 'packhorse' a smaller battery to carry?  :(   I have a 30aH wheelchair one you are welcme to if you would like it.  Lasts forever but much lighter than a car battery - even has a swish webbing carry harness.  Free bag of oats too!!  I hasten to add this would be a gift - I don't sell batteries as a fiddle job - too busy playing pool!! :D  :D  :D  :D  :blush:  :sick:  

:D PP thanks for the offer,I have a more pack horse friendly battery,but when we go out it is nearly always for a full day and when we have finished shooting even a good car battery is well discharged.

Hang on to it though as we might need it to put back in a wheelchair if our backs go.

Thanks again. :(