Homemade 410 moderator

3jackwhite3

it was easy to make but it is a bit of a bodge at the moment all i used was tape, cardboard and two metal bits of pipe, one is an old washing line pole which is the outside tube and the inside tube to line it all up is a bit of crome pipe that i was given which is drilled along it intire lengh to vent the gases, im going to take it apart and try and improve it tomorrow by drilling more holes in the inside tube and making some baffles and ill take some pics and post them as i go along. The reason i have used cardboard and tape is that i have no access to a lathe to make up bushes and because a 410 does not produce a lot of pressure it is safe, i have only tried it with standard 2" cartridges and it is as loud as an unmoderated .22lr. and sitsinhedges i havnt vented the barrel as i dont know how to debur the inside of the barrel.

You can deburr the drilled ports by using a ball ended rotary burr the kind that you use in a dremel tool , For example if you drill 4 mm holes use a 3 mm tool and go into the hole and use the back of the ball to give you a slight chamfer on the inside of the barrel.

Well here is a step by step guide on how to make a 410 moderator.(if you decide to go ahead and make one it is at your own risk and it is not my fault if anything goes wrong.)

Materials and tools needed.

1 metal pipe of 1.5" outside diameter and aslong as you want the moderator(mine is 24"long and extends over the barrel 8")

1 metal pipe of idealy about .06"/0.7" outside diameter, i used 1" as that was all i could find and drill holes along its intire length and alot around where the muzzle will be to vent the gases better.

drill

tape

steel wool

Make bushes so that the inside tube goes on to the barrel and is a snug fit, i used cardboard and black tape as i havnt got access to a lathe to make up wood or metal bushes.

post-12113-1275565691.jpg

I then put some scotch pad around it.

post-12113-1275565782.jpg

I then wrapped steel wool around about 4" of the end of the moderator and left about 4" near where the muzzle will be to vent off the gases, i then put a bit of tape around it to keep it there.

post-12113-1275567589.jpg

post-12113-1275567595.jpg

Then slide the inner tube over the barrel and make sure its a snug fit (i had to knock it on with a bit wood) so it wont come loose and make some bushes on this tube to allow the outer tube to go on.

post-12113-1275567410.jpg

I then slid the outer tube on and put a bit of scotch pad down the rear of the moderator to absorb a bit more sound and finished it of with a bit of tape to make it look black and then you end up with this.

post-12113-1275567765.jpg

I took it out yesterday and when shooting out in an open fields it sounds like an unmoderated .22 and if shot around farm buildings it sounds like a car door slamming.

• 4 years later...

steve b ill get the pics up tomorrow its easy to make.

I intend to make one up for my .410 , using aluminium tube , how big are the gas venting holes you drilled and how many , I am wondering what the optimum hole size should be for best effect of the sound blast .

"1 metal pipe of idealy about .06"/0.7" outside diameter, i used 1" as that was all i could find and drill holes along its intire length and alot around where the muzzle will be to vent the gases better.
drill
tape
steel wool

Make bushes so that the inside tube goes on to the barrel and is a snug fit, i used cardboard and black tape as i havnt got access to a lathe to make up wood or metal bushes."

Errrrrrmmmm, :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Old thread or not, glad its been resurrected. This has interested me as a possible project .. will be watching the thread with anticipation ... l need to find a supplier of lightweight alluminium tube! ... plus l'm in need of a project to keep me occupied ...

Here you go -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390720143362

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150337210774

lots more in various sizes