Shooting in Cumbria

Message to DavidBASC - I hope you will be vocal about the responsible gun owners raising money for GOSH .... might be a glimmer of good news in a day of darkness...... Just make sure they don't see the pics of JohnH wearing Suzys Bra or Cat wearing the Essex uniform

I'm a paid up basc member. The way this tragic event is handled by BASC will determine whether they get my less than hard earned beer money next year. So far they have shown promise, I hope they keep up the good work by using honestly and logic to defuse any bans on the currently legally held firearms.

Yet again the only people doing anything to keep us shooting are the BASC so where are the rest of the so called shooting organisations i'm glad i a member of BASC and i'ts about time all the BASC nockers joined up to help look after our sport.

There is only one thing to say. If the cowardless politicians do manange to ban all firearms because of this then I will be doing the decent thing and moving away from Great Britain (Small Britain). It is the only sensible policy.

I doubt they'll go that far. Worst case scenario IMO is y'all end up like Australia ie no semi-auto or pump shotguns and no more semi-auto rimfire rifles. Who knows, maybe nothing will happen.

The nra have issued a statement its on their website. More restrictive laws? Dunno remember cameron is a stalker,the nobility and their purdeys at a pheasant shoot sure won't be affected I can tell u that,ule still need vermin and fox/deer management.I dunno about club level stuff.WAT U MUST all remember was the self loders and pistols weren't taken away to stop street roberys or to cut gun crime,they were taken away so it would never happen again.but in this case who knows.

We will do all we can to keep you all up to speed, just been taking more calls from local ITV stations in the South and South East wanting to do interviews...its going to be a busy day, but must keep in mind those who have lost their lives, their families and those who are in hospital.

David

I doubt they'll go that far. Worst case scenario IMO is y'all end up like Australia ie no semi-auto or pump shotguns and no more semi-auto rimfire rifles. Who knows, maybe nothing will happen.

Exactly it will be a disaster for me considering I own several semi-auto/pump shotguns for Practical Shotgun.

We are covering all the major press outlets with spokesmen in London and on Duke Street in Whitehaven. We have covered all ITN programmes and BBC News programmes for today. We are in touch with the Home Secretary's Teresa May’s office at the Home Office and are discussing the implications. We will be responding on the national media to the content of the parliamentary statement expected at lunchtime. We expect that the statement will not recommend any immediate legislative change and will warn against a kneejerk response.

Regional media requests are being fed to the respective BASC region and covered by out regional offices.

Press requests are focusing on how the licensing system works and we are maintaining the press line from yesterday, that:

These incidents are extremely rare

We must await the results of any inquiry and learn the facts

It would be wrong to rush to legislation

My sense is that this is not playing out like Dunblane.

Christopher

Christopher

My heart felt and best wishes to the victims and all involved.....

Sky news have been popping on about " Do gun laws need to be changed" Typical response when they know nothing.....

Many 10 000s folk drive cars and drink drive deaths are a sad result of a few bad apples......... strange how Sky dont bang a gong about getting that one sorted :angry:

Banning lead now this? For anyone who even questions whether there is an agenda to totally ban guns in Britain it is pretty clear.

Guns = Bad

Never mind the problem of: Gangs, Drug Trafficking, Illegal guns and arms smuggling, Home made firearms. They don't exist and Britain is the safest place in the world.

There's one thing which I don't understand but it may well be answered in the fullness of time. I think I'm right in saying, as I've understood it, that Bird has been certificated for 20 years. This could mean 4 renewals. It appears that generally no one in that small community was aware that he shot or owned guns. So, did he shoot? Obviously, the following does not apply to his SGC, but, say, on 4 occasions his FAC would have been checked for ammunition purchases. Patently, he had some so the question is did he shoot or was he buying just enough to convince the FEO that the reason for his owwnership of the firearm was valid?

If we are going to be hit by further legislation and as we all probably know of someone who owns a gun/guns for the sake of it, then I for one would not object if it targeted these people.

Cheers

As details of Bird's mental state emerge, it seems to me that there are many other questions other than the FAC / SGC issues: like why did it take the police so long to react? A police helicopter with firearms officers onboard could surely have stopped the rampage long before the 3 hours it took? Bird covered an extensive distance and took a long time - there are loads of questions as to the police operation and their response time, I think. Plus, if he was turned away from the hospital when asking for help re his mental state, there are lots of questions there too, not to mention the "friend" who "disarmed" him - why were the police not told? I reckon if a friend told me they would never see me again or wouldn't be here tomorrow, I would feel the need to let someone know - a Mental Health Assessment could have been called for and the police could have removed the guns. Lots of questions, few answers at the moment.

At least Teresa May hasn't vowed to ban shotguns yet, just that firearm issues will be debated once the investigation has been concluded. So hopefully no kneejerk from the nanny state. At least her response was measured - our thoughts should be with those who have lost loved ones in the carnage, then, once all the facts are available, the issues can be debated again.

:angry: I certainly hope not....there are a fair few of us, including me, who need semi-autos due to medical problems - I wouldn't be able to use an O/U, and I know quite a few people in the same position. Let's hope that common sense, which isn't too common really, unfortunately, prevails!!!!

The following has been issued to all media outlets.

BASC welcomes Government response to Cumbria murders

3rd June 2010…….……………………………………………….immediate release

The Home Secretary’s announcement that the full facts behind the Cumbria murders must be established before any move is made to review firearms law has been welcomed by the UK’s largest shooting organisation, the British Association for Shooting and Conservation. (BASC).

BASC spokesman Simon Clarke said “Every legitimate firearms owner, along with the rest of the country, is still in shock after the appalling events in Cumbria, and our thoughts are with the community and the affected families.

“Inevitably questions are being raised about the UK’s firearms licensing laws. Those controls are amongst the toughest in the world. It is essential that the police and other agencies are given all the time they need to complete their investigations and enquiries. That will doubtless include an examination of the licensing circumstances in this case.

“We welcome the Government’s commitment to take a cautious approach to any review of firearms laws, and BASC will contribute its expertise to any such review. BASC staff work day-in, day-out dealing with lawful shotgun and firearms owners and police forces over licensing issues. Incidents of this nature are extremely rare in this country and the UK needs a working firearms licensing system which balances use with public safety. “

“Shotguns and rifles are essential tools of the countryside, used in agricultural pest control, game shooting and target shooting. “ ENDS

For more information please call the BASC press office on 01244 573031. An ISDN line is available for radio interviews.

Simon Clarke

Head of Press Relations

The British Association for Shooting and Conservation,

DL: 01244 573007

Mob: 07500 609161

simon.clarke@basc.org.uk

www.basc.org.uk

BASC, Marford Mill, Rossett, LL12 0HL

There's one thing which I don't understand but it may well be answered in the fullness of time. I think I'm right in saying, as I've understood it, that Bird has been certificated for 20 years. This could mean 4 renewals. It appears that generally no one in that small community was aware that he shot or owned guns. So, did he shoot? Obviously, the following does not apply to his SGC, but, say, on 4 occasions his FAC would have been checked for ammunition purchases. Patently, he had some so the question is did he shoot or was he buying just enough to convince the FEO that the reason for his owwnership of the firearm was valid?

If we are going to be hit by further legislation and as we all probably know of someone who owns a gun/guns for the sake of it, then I for one would not object if it targeted these people.

Cheers

A reloader could go through thousands of rounds over 5 years and have no entries on their ticket.

A reloader could go through thousands of rounds over 5 years and have no entries on their ticket.

I have a .243 and a .22

In 3 years I have bought 100 .243's & 200 .22's.

BUT - I am the keeper / shoot captain, don't shoot targets but carry and use my guns every day during the rearing season. Other people in the syndicate shoot all the vermin at other times. I shoot little and need my FAC's.

its the same old story 1 madman with certified guns goes on the rampage and we are all left picking up the pieces as usual. don;t know how the government can make a already tight gun law even more tighter so in the end it will become impossible to obtain a license in the first place so the only other solution is for issuing police forces to look into a crystal ball when you apply and see what you will do in the future. i know one thing for sure if another incident like this happens again we can all kiss our certificates goodbye.

Pleased with Cameron's take.

"Of course we should look at this issue but we should not leap to knee-jerk conclusions on what should be done on the regulatory front. We do have some of the toughest legislation in the world," he said.

He added: "You can't legislate to stop a switch flicking in someone's head and this sort of dreadful action taking place."

Full release Cameron Opposes "knew jerk reaction" on gun laws

Good man.