Why do we cull magpies?

Good question, IMO a larsen trap with a magpie in it as a larsen trap wasted. Get a carrion crow call bird, they do far more damage to game than magpies. Once you have cleared up the local carrions then start on the magpies.

Jackdaws, and rooks are comparatively harmless compared to the above so I tend to leave them in peace unless in exceptional circumstances.

I was thinking of getting rid of some carrion crows in my area aswell but I've no chance of getting a call bird off anyone so how would you reccommend catching one in a larsen trap using just bait?

Cheers..

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should all contact spring watch and ask them to show any footage they have of magpies taking young chicks from nests,surely this must be education for any viewers,who are not sure how these birds erridicate the songbird population

I think we should all contact spring watch and ask them to show any footage they have of magpies taking young chicks from nests,surely this must be education for any viewers,who are not sure how these birds erridicate the songbird population

true, last time I heard her on the radio some months back she even suggested the noise they made was quite endearing :rolleyes: I keep them out of our garden as at one time they were like a bunch of marauding hoodies, damn things they are.

I was thinking of getting rid of some carrion crows in my area aswell but I've no chance of getting a call bird off anyone so how would you reccommend catching one in a larsen trap using just bait?

Cheers..

TBH in recent years I have always got my initial call birds off local game keepers, one of whom overwinters a couple of crows in an aviary to ensure he has a call bird come the spring. I have also caught carrions in a larsen baited with a dummy nest and a couple of chicken eggs.

I was walking into my garden a few weeks ago when I saw a magpie and two crows attacking a robin. before I could get out there the magpie flew away with the robin in it's beak. Also, a neighbour of mine keeps hens and has confirmed that the magpies take the eggs. He's asked me to shoot a few if I get the chance.

Mike

After Problems With crows at my chicken feeder, i had a larsen trap with a carrion in for a little while, caught one. killed it and threw it in the field at the end of my garden. swapped the original call bird for a magpie, and have caught 3 maggot pies in a week. talking to my keeper friend who keeps around me, and he says he has caught 80+ magpies for 2 consecutive years now.

QS

Hiya, We , (Davy, my mate and I ) were asked by the farmer on one of our permissions to get rid of every Maggie we saw....he's a cattle farmer, and they are sitting on the backs of the cattle pecking away at them...looking for tics etc..so, when it comes to market time, the cattle have massive blotches on their backs...therefore bringing the price down.... <_<

We've culled a load of them at that farm so far, mainly with air rifle, but now shotty..but more still keep showing up..... but the farmer has noticed a big difference in the songbird population since the start of the year...B)

Another farmer has asked me to clear his ground of them, as they and the Jakies are eating the mastic out his window frames on the farmhouse!!! :good: still got to get round to that..:lol:

Today , while out having a wee stroll,at another permission, we saw a family of three Maggies having a play next to a hedge...( Mibbes something to do with hunting songbirds as in previous post) anyway...2 x 12b carts later, strike 2 Maggies..:rolleyes: Another got away!! but later, after having another go at it... it was missing a few tail feathers..:rolleyes: Wings are now being collected to give to the local angling club...got a nice little collection so far!!! and we only started saving them recently... :sly:

IMG_5854.jpg

Edited by Norrie

I live in a very nice place near the coast with a big magpie problem and not to many songbirds corvids cats and foxes will be the demise of many a rare bird i have tried talking to these types of nice people who winge on the one hand how the ground nestig see bird population has taken a hammering of off charlie some of these birds rare then in the next sentence tell me there is a lovely fox earth nearby with cubs in it prolific vermin numbers do need culling to protect the future of rarer species fact just my veiw.

I've built a larsen trap recently and everytime i see a magpie in the field grabbed my airgun and legged it to get a shot at the blighters. One afternoon, went and counted the duck eggs on the pond. Newley laid was 4 there the day before, now there were 5. few hours later i have a wander over after seeing 3 magpies in the area. most of the eggs cracked and the yolks coming out of them. explain that. Also on spring watch tonight they showed a jackdaw return twice for a ringed plovers eggs!

All magpies get short thrift from me. I honestly hate them with a passion. Iv seen them taking eyes out of new born lambs and numerouse chicks out of nests. I will go to great lengths to shot a magpie, weather decoying with dead rabbits or crow calls. I feel very satisfied when i see one drop out of the air stone dead, or tumble out of a tree. One less theaving nest robbing blighter. That Spring Watch program aint got a clue if they honestly think that these birds do not do considerable damage to the local song bird population. Who ever does the research for the program needs to look for a new job. Because he or she aint doing their jobs tidy. Oh an by the way i hate Chris Packham

All magpies get short thrift from me. I honestly hate them with a passion. Iv seen them taking eyes out of new born lambs and numerouse chicks out of nests. I will go to great lengths to shot a magpie, weather decoying with dead rabbits or crow calls. I feel very satisfied when i see one drop out of the air stone dead, or tumble out of a tree. One less theaving nest robbing blighter. That Spring Watch program aint got a clue if they honestly think that these birds do not do considerable damage to the local song bird population. Who ever does the research for the program needs to look for a new job. Because he or she aint doing their jobs tidy. Oh an by the way i hate Chris Packham

I agree.I love to see a Maggie tumbling out of the sky!Horrible Creatures as they are!!!

Guest gloker

I dont watch springwatch.I have banned it in our house.

I tuned in for Kate Humbles Badgerwatch and didnt once get to see her Badger!

This is surely exploitation of perverted gutter minded individuals such as myself! I have emailed the BBC. :good:

• 11 months later...

Why do we cull magpies? My knowledge was too make song birds flourish etc but after watching springwatch I'm led to believe magpies have no effect on songbirds??

Sheer BBC propaganda, the more people listen the more they think its fact. I can tell you as far as smaller bird species are conserned the magpie is a major threat, even in low numbers as it is far better at seaching out the hiding places than crows (which rely more heavily on numbers and a thugish approach). On larger bird species it does have to rely more heavily on trickery and as such i feel preditation on say wild partridge is fairly low but don't control and allow magpies to proliferate and they soon become mob hunters and a very general threat.

I once didn't bother with them feeling they didn't do much damage but was prooved very wrong

Not a good thread if you like mags :lol: . I used to love them as a kid for there sheer audacity but you cant ignore the damage they do to our other species. If they're in range I'll give them 20p's worth. I don't enjoy it but its for the greater good of conservation.

I hate magpies plain an simple. Them an crows are the most destructive birds i know.

Countless times iv seen both raiding nests taking chicks an eggs. And pecking lambs eyes

out as their getting born out in the field. I definitly support the fact that where there

is an healthy populous of magpies an crows, there will be a significant drop in song bird

in that area.

So i will say in all honestly, i feel great when i have either shot one from the air with

my shotty. Or slapped a 17grain v max into one while its grounded. Totally an utterly

detest them with a passion. And while never lose an opitunity to kill one if it arises.

Killed many of them since iv been shooting and hope to kill many more.

Edited by deputy dog

I find that quite odd :/

[/quote

Well i respect your point off view Pootang.

But why is it odd to hate some thing. Iv seen loads of posts on this forum

where some one has said they hate some sort of predatorial vermin or rats at some time. Some people

go to great lengths to justify why. But i just think well if they hate them then thats

up to their personall feelings. I know there are loads of predators out in the

countryside who rob nests an do other horrible things to other animals, whether for survival

or just plain blood lust like foxes in an hen house. But IMHO i just think magpies are

the slyest and lowley of them. The damage iv personally seen them do to song birds nests

an lambs while being born. I'v just grown to hate them over the years.

Hope thats cleared the matter up mate.

Like Poontang I too find people hating and detesting any animal a bit odd :(

Animals do what animals do, it's nature and they don't have any choice in the matter. They are just following their instincts and are not, sly or evil or acting out of malice. These are human "qualities" which people project onto them. When a magpie takes an egg or chick, he's not doing it to spite you, or because he just happens to fancy causing mayhem that day. He does it because millennia of evolution have hard wired his brain to do it, and because he is hungry or has chicks to feed.

Magpies like all Corvids are incredibly intelligent birds and can be very entertaining to study. They can also be very destructive and undoubtedly need controlling from time to time and I have no issue with that whatsoever. But I wish people would do it dispassionately accepting it as a necessity, without focussing all sort of hatred and spite towards a wild animal.

It's been said before but remains very true, an animal is not a pest because of what it is, but because of where it is.

Edited by Blunderbuss

Like Poontang I too find people hating and detesting any animal a bit odd :(

Animals do what animals do, it's nature and they don't have any choice in the matter. They are just following their instincts and are not, sly or evil or acting out of malice. These are human "qualities" which people project onto them. When a magpie takes an egg or chick, he's not doing it to spite you, or because he just happens to fancy causing mayhem that day. He does it because millennia of evolution have hard wired his brain to do it, and because he is hungry or has chicks to feed.

Magpies like all Corvids are incredibly intelligent birds and can be very entertaining to study. They can also be very destructive and undoubtedly need controlling from time to time and I have no issue with that whatsoever. But I wish people would do it dispassionately accepting it as a necessity, without focussing all sort of hatred and spite towards a wild animal.

It's been said before but remains very true, an animal is not a pest because of what it is, but because of where it is.

I agree their very intelligent birds. And yes i do agree with you when you say they have to feed

themselve an chicks in breeding season. But i have seen many a time magpies going up an down hedge

rows robbing as many nests as they can find, yes maybe eat the odd chick or egg. But mostly just

dropping them on the floor an leaving the eggs to addle or chick to die. Perhaps saying i hate them

with a passion was a bit strong, but i honestly can't say that i don't feel some sort of gratification

when i shoot one. And when a farmer asked me what iv shot an iv told him iv bagged a few maggies.

The smile on his face is very welcome, and many have told me how much they hate them. Not only for

what they do to their live stock but song bird populations as well.

nearly every body who hunts must have a passion for it other wise they don't do it. And nearly every body

prefers to shoot one spieces more then another, whether it be fox, pigeon deer or magpies. Every body

has their different reasons for doing so. I try my hardest to kill what ever i shoot at, as cleanly an

humanely as possible including magpies.