How to clean my 12b barrels?

Marc M

I've read all about the different cleaning heads, bronze, mops, jags etc, but is it better to use wooden poles, or alloy ones, or neither, just buy a bore snake?

What are peoples opinions, I'm new to this so haven't got a clue but definitely want to keep the barrels nice and clean!

Edited by Marc M

I have always used a wooden, three piece, cleaning rod with either a loop, or a split plastic jag, and a phosphor bronze brush, finishing off with oil applied with a wool mop.

I use the split jag, with three sheets straight off the toilet roll, and folded to fit the jag, to clean the residue first. Followed by some bore cleaner and a good rogering with the wire brush. I pay particular attention to the breech and choke areas, where leading can build up. I don`t use plazzy wads, so build up of plastic fouling is not a problem.

After running fresh toilet paper through the bore, until it comes out clean, I use the wool mop to deposit gun oil in the bore, wipe the action and barrels with an oily rag and put the gun away. If, as you say, you want the gun to be really clean a rod will, in my opinion, do a better job than a boresnake. Every week or so I dismantle the gun and clean and oil everything thoroughly, especially so after damp days. If you like to see your action and barrels a bit `wet` with oil, store the gun with barrels down, to obviate oil seeping into the woodwork.

I have always used a wooden, three piece, cleaning rod with either a loop, or a split plastic jag, and a phosphor bronze brush, finishing off with oil applied with a wool mop.

I use the split jag, with three sheets straight off the toilet roll, and folded to fit the jag, to clean the residue first.  Followed by some bore cleaner and a good rogering with the wire brush.  I pay particular attention to the breech and choke areas, where leading can build up.  I don`t use plazzy wads, so build up of plastic fouling is not a problem.

After running fresh <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=toilet%20paper" onmouseover="window.status='toilet paper'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">toilet paper</a> through the bore, until it comes out clean, I use the wool mop to deposit gun oil in the bore, wipe the action and barrels with an oily rag and put the gun away.  If, as you say, you want the gun to be really clean a rod will, in my opinion, do a better job than a boresnake.  Every week or so I dismantle the gun and clean and oil everything thoroughly, especially so after damp days.  If you like to see your action and barrels a bit `wet` with oil, store the gun with barrels down, to obviate oil seeping into the woodwork.

Spot on. The only difference is i use kitchen roll not bog roll. Give a full clean about every 4 shooting days and just a push though with the kitchen roll with some oil on it inbetween.

A couple of squirts of WD40 down the barrels a plug of kitchen roll in the chambers and leave the barrels stand for 10 min to soften all the gunk in the barrels then push through with the rods from the chamber end, always never clean from the buisness end of the barrels always the chambers. And then you can go a second time with some dry kitchen paper or wool brush, for real stubborn **** give the barrels a rub of the wire brush to dislodge any dried in gunk, however i would not advise you to give the barrels a "good rodgering" with the bronze brush as it will only wear them out and scratch them.

Also some cartridges leave your barels dirtier then others.

You won’t scratch steel barrels with a bronze brush.

And if you have an older gun with a little bit of rust staining, then it is possible to hone it with a bit of ½” doweling chucked in a drill with some 0000 steel wool wrapped around it. No it won’t scratch the bores to bits, in fact it will burnish them to a beautiful shine. :D

G.M.

You shouldnt use bog roll or kitchen roll in your barrerlls, it leaves a fluffy residue behind. Use a yellow duster or other non paper kitchen cloth.

When cleaning my barrels i first give a wee squirt of gun oil (Brunox or Napier or WD40), then a good pounding with the old bronze brush swiftly followed by a rag on a pull through. I then do this again without the gun oil. I then clean the chokes.

Does anyone here put grease on the choke tubes or on the knuckle or stub pin (name?) joints?

Never find any fluffy residue in my barrels using paper loo roll, however I don’t ever use yellow dusters, because they always leave yellow fluff all over the place.

Always grease the knuckles on my shotguns as this is a heavy load-bearing point.

G.M.

:D dont get any fluff either

dont oil my barrels either, just a run through with a brush with some hoppes number 9 on it, then two runs through with the bog role.

takes about 2 mins, stinks, but works, but i dont clean my guns unless its not getting shot for a while (or dosent have crome bores) afterall, powders are smokeless now, and the bores are cromed.

I nick the bog roll from work as its less fluffy than the ones Mrs Bobt buys.

2 peices in a ball and push through after a squirt of WD40, turn paper inside out, (I know its free but I am a Yorkshireman) repeat, squirt again and a new wad through.

if I have used plaswads I use a bronze brush first.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use rods but now I use a Bore Snake and find it every bit as good for cleaning.

You still need to put a film of gun oil through after cleaning though.

I have an oil impregnated cloth I push through and wipe over with before storage.

I use brass snap caps having had a near miss with plastic ones. I'll try and post the picture tomorrow.

I always store assembled and only break down for transport.

I've got one of those anti-rust paper wads in the gun cabinet and it seems to work fine.

I suppose that if the inside of the barrels loks like a mirror and the outside has all the fingerprints cleaned off then you cant be far off.