The ultimate foxing calibre

JackReady

I'm staying well clear of the moral side of this. Personally I'm not a long range shooter and I agree with a lot of folk here when they say it's better to stalk in close. Wind is a variable that can't be controlled so there is always a lot of chance for error. A hit on a Fox as you've said yourself has to be right. It's not like a bunny or crow, when any body contact from a centrefire is enough to knock it flat unless you're really unlucky.

Anyway, back to the calibres. How big will your police force allow you to go? Can you get the "any other lawful quarry" condition and get the rifle granted initially for Deer? If that's the case then bigger could well be better and a fast round like 6.5-284 or maybe even a .300 Win Mag would certainly buck the wind well. (Edit... That's assuming you can handle it, which is also an importent factor).

I'm not anywhere near the class of the likes of Fister as I don't long range shoot, so all I can suggest is that you aim for the calibres that have won the long range comps on a regular basis. I can understand your quest for the best rifle you can get because it will give you just that little bit more accurate range.

The last I knew of this sort of thing was that the 6.5mm rounds were very good. I'd maybe go for one of those.

Edited by njc110381

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

;):D No matter how hard you try. Some people just don't get it, do they? :good: Perhaps there should be a wekly prize for the most obtuse post in a thread.

Yes there should. You would win it every time, since you cannot comprehend the meaning of the English language. Every word like 'best', 'ultimate' etc has a context. You don't define that context with the term 'ultimate foxing calibre'. If you said 'ultimate long range varmint' or 'ultimate long range fox' then you'd be fine. Since you don't, ultimate must be taken in context, and the longest ranged, loudest, kickiest calibre simply isn't the 'ultimate' calibre all of the time. That is why other calibres exist, and your lack of comprehension of this concept is why you are a stupid, irritating moron.

Vim, ****** off back to THL and leave us alone.

An open invite was put up on the web for the diggle egg shoot last week for any wannabe long range varminters to come and have a go, not so much at the egg as the prairie dog target at 100,300 and 500 yards, no sighters, no spotters, just 3 shots per distance for score and for group, equipment was unlimited for those that wanted. It certainly highlights to the wanabee it is no game as not many even hit the prairie dog at 300 or 500 and only two people shot 3 clean headshots at 100.

:good:

Yes there should. You would win it every time, since you cannot comprehend the meaning of the English language. Every word like 'best', 'ultimate' etc has a context. You don't define that context with the term 'ultimate foxing calibre'. If you said 'ultimate long range varmint' or 'ultimate long range fox' then you'd be fine. Since you don't, ultimate must be taken in context, and the longest ranged, loudest, kickiest calibre simply isn't the 'ultimate' calibre all of the time. That is why other calibres exist, and your lack of comprehension of this concept is why you are a stupid, irritating moron.

Vim, ****** off back to THL and leave us alone.

My my we are getting personal. To para-phrase Forrest Gump "Moronic is, as moronic does". :good:

There you go again riding that "context" hobby horse of yours for all that you're worth. Give it up pal, its a dead horse, and was the first time you slung your leg over its back.

Edited by JackReady

Properly zeroed in the 50 cal would surely be the ultimate foxing calibre . As you dont eat foxes then it dosent matter how much damage you cause . The 50 CAL would surely be good on foxes up to 10,000 yards and some more .

Harnser .

mr l i cant see how a 55 grain vmax at 4000 fps from a 243 would really add much difference ?

then a 50 gr from a 22/250 at 3800 fps. granted there is 200 fps more then a 22/250 and a extra 5 grain's of bullet. but in the real world that wouldnt be much difference.

imo a flat shooting bullet at around 75 grains would be superb. 25/06 pushing one at that around the 3700 fps mark would be eye opening

It isn't just the bullet weight. You need to consider the BC of the bullet.

25 cal 75gr V-max, BC .290 @ 3700 fps

300 yard drop 15.02, windage 8.25

600 yard drop 77.46, windage 37.20

6mm 55gr Nosler, BC .276 @ 4000 fps (243)

300 yard drop 13.01, windage 7.97

600 yard drop 67.63, windage 35.83

22 50gr V-max, BC .242 @ 3850 fps (22-250)

300 yard drop 14.57, windage 9.64

600 yard drop 80.51, windage 45.55

Clearly, 22-250 is the worst. I'm not saying 243 is much better for long range fox/vermin than everything else, but it certainly does **** all over the 22-250.

Jack - Please explain why you consider context to be unimportant to discussions about calibre. Come on, just one reason...

It isn't just the bullet weight. You need to consider the BC of the bullet.

25 cal 75gr V-max, BC .290 @ 3700 fps

300 yard drop 15.02, windage 8.25

600 yard drop 77.46, windage 37.20

6mm 55gr Nosler, BC .276 @ 4000 fps (243)

300 yard drop 13.01, windage 7.97

600 yard drop 67.63, windage 35.83

22 50gr V-max, BC .242 @ 3850 fps (22-250)

300 yard drop 14.57, windage 9.64

600 yard drop 80.51, windage 45.55

Clearly, 22-250 is the worst. I'm not saying 243 is much better for long range fox/vermin than everything else, but it certainly does **** all over the 22-250.

Jack - Please explain why you consider context to be unimportant to discussions about calibre. Come on, just one reason...

Mr logic where did you source this info I don't ask to be argumentative or dismiss your post but my data does not give the same results for drop or windage

As an example hornady say that the 75gr .25 driven at 3700 fps and zeroed for 100yds will drop 7.3" and a wind allowance of 5.9" given a 10mph wind

Mr logic where did you source this info I don't ask to be argumentative or dismiss your post but my data does not give the same results for drop or windage

As an example hornady say that the 75gr .25 driven at 3700 fps and zeroed for 100yds will drop 7.3" and a wind allowance of 5.9" given a 10mph wind

He gets it the same place as he can put his "context". :w00t:

Anyone else bored of this yet?

Perhaps if people hadn't posted pointless **** and actually added a sensible and reasoned post then you would not be bored it amazes me that some people have posted on this thread mearly to have a go when they obviously have neither the knowledge or intelligence to see past their own inadequacies with their thinking it is a miracle we got past bows and arrows.

Ya know lads, if I went foxing with my .243 and my mate went out with his 22-250, we would just shoot together and enjoy each other’s company.

We certainly wouldn’t pee all over each others rifles and come away thinking that the other man was an eejit because he had a different calibre.

Jeeze, I sometime go out with a .22Hornet and I enjoy myself just as much as if I take a bigger calibre, and if I see a fox within 150yds it does the job just as well. :w00t:

G.M.

Ballistic calculator on handloads.com

Also, my drop data is actual drop, not trajectory, so it's not taking zero into account.

Edited by Mr_Logic

Perhaps if people hadn't posted pointless **** and actually added a sensible and reasoned post then you would not be bored it amazes me that some people have posted on this thread mearly to have a go when they obviously have neither the knowledge or intelligence to see past their own inadequacies with their thinking it is a miracle we got past bows and arrows.

I blame the relentless dumbing down of the mass media over the last 30-40 years.

We have now reached a point where the vast majority of posters have only ever been subjected to sound bite journalism and low grade modern education where even the dumbest are allowed to remain in the main stream, and the educators have to work to the lowest common denominator.

This has effectively produced large proportion of society that can't string more than a dozen words together to form an intelligible sentence, and have the attention span of a goldfish. Unfortunately internet forms are not immune to them. In fact in some instances they seem to attract a far higher proportion of what you can only describe as low grade intelligent life forms than many other forms of social communication.

This partly due to the ease of access provided by internet forums, but I also believe that they tend to attract similar low brow types certain forms depending upon the subject matter. Some of the worst forums for attracting the dullards of this worlds are those dedicated to the lurcher and terrier users. Thick would be a compliment to many of their memberships.

What I also find laughable is the reverse snobbery that you often see demonstrated by the "I'm working class and proud of it "types that dominate certain threads and forums.

As a general rule what I have found is the more costly the participation in the sport, the more adult and more intelligible the poster.

But as Alexandre Dumas said "All generalizations are dangerous, even this one."

I sometime go out with a .22Hornet and I enjoy myself just as much as if I take a bigger calibre, and if I see a fox within 150yds it does the job just as well.

Graham

Out of interest if you needed to shoot a fox at 400m+ one morning with a 10MPH 1/4 value wind blowing down the valley. What calibre would you prefer to use 6mm, 6.5mm or something else.

Ah, if only the wind blew with such a constant steady intensity from a single direction with no reversals or vertical.

Dont forget your Kestrel and 400m arm to hold it with.

That's where experience, practice, and knowing your ground inside out comes in.

We have now reached a point where the vast majority of posters have only ever been subjected to sound bite journalism and low grade modern education where even the dumbest are allowed to remain in the main stream, and the educators have to work to the lowest common denominator.

Unfortunately internet forms are not immune to them.

So it would seem.

And on that note, with this particular spat can be closed.