Crossbreed

deeksofdoom

PC020025.jpgPC020024.jpgPC020022.jpg

Here are a few pics of my dog bruce, he's a Pointer/Springer cross has anybody had experience of owning/trainig one of these dogs. He is around 20mths at the moment and has a great nose for birds. However he is stone mad :D , as you can see from the blurred photos he can't stand still for a second.

He hasn't started pointing yet and is just to fast to do any decent shooting with, by the time i have him tired out i'm to shagged to shoot! anyone got any advice/suggestions on how to control him?

Bueatiful looking dog.

Your biggest issue with this dog is going to be control. How much obediance work have you done with him?

My other question is does he flash point at all....a quick stop and look before he jumps in and flushes?

This is a dog that is a prime canidate for whoa training, and work with live trapped ferel pigeons.

NTTF

Thanks for the Replies lads, Magman I met a guy out one day when i was walking the dog and we got chatting he said he also had owned a Lab/pointer and he said that he had had a lot of dogs in his time and that the best pointer he had ever had was that cross, he said he could walk into a field of beet and as soon as the dog got in the gate he'ld go on point on a bird in the far corner of the field, but then again labs will point aswell, wheras with my fellah he he is crossed between a flusher and a pointer, like crossing a donkey with a cow!

Getting back to what you said NTTF, I have seen him as you call it "flash point" he stops and points for a second I had dismissed it, because he is not solidly locking on to birds, when he does meet a bird he turns his head and looks at me as if to so say "what do I do now!" and then flushes it. As for obedience training a made a total balls of that, when I got the dog first the girlfriend thought that he'ld be great to go walking with of course she used to leave him off the lead and he used to run wild so he became very hard to control and of course with work and all I didn't have the time or patience to train him especially since he was going so cracked. As for the trapped feral pigeons one of the guys in the Gunclub said that if i could get a bird in a cage let the dog find it and then hold him on point that if he sets at all the first time he'll always do it, however a few weeks ago he actually caught a cock pheasant in his mouth so I hope he's not got it into his head that he can do this every time. I hope its not too late to put him right!

Okay here goes, do not let him run off lead anymore, until we get some training on this dog.

Firstly follow the pinned obediance thread in this section, 10 to 15 minutes twice a day is all it takes.

After we have his obediance we can start to teach this dog to point, this is going to come through teaching a whoa command as you have allowed him to bust birds for 20 months.

Until we get this under control do not take this dog near anymore birds.

I knew sooner or later someone was going to make me post a pointing dog guide......might as well be now.

First get the obediance under control!!

NTTF

So basically I should be doing approx 2 X 1 hours of training with the dog each day

with 3-4 lessons in the in the hour, does it have to be an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening or could I do an hour in the evening and then come back a few hours later and do the second hour? Should the dog be fed before or after the days training?

Aswell I have already trained the dog to sit this he does, when I have his attention as I either am going to put on take off his lead, give him food or throw something for him to retrieve, he just won't sit and stay sitting!

I also can't get him to walk to heal, i've tried hard but he keeps pulling, he will walk calmly for the girlfriend though, How could she have more control over him than me when I'm the one he has the most dealings with? :D he is well used to the lead at this stage, i am using one of those slip cord leads, should i change to one of those harness leads that pull on his shoulders when he starts pulling?

I also had him trained to return on the whistle, and this he was doing well last year, however i got lazy and used to forget to bring the whistle with me instead whistling with my fingers to call him how will I get him back on the whistle again?

:*) :D:D:D

No you should be doing 2 15 minute sessions a day. One in the morning and one in the evening.

Even though he is sitting reteach it, along with the the recall command, and start the heeling as discribed....I may change that after the first week. The recall command teach on a retractable lead, or long line minimum 28 feet.

Continue to work him onthe slip lead for now....as far as your girl friend and he are concerned....if you were him wouldn't you want to be with her.... :D

NTTF