summer bisley meeting

dunganick

Okay, im looking at organising a meeting for some time june/july/august next summer at Bisley

The format of the meeting will be this,

morning will be spent on the short siberia (or long if enough people are intrested) rifle range (100 and 200 yards) we can have as many ranges as we can book (in advance quite alot) i would suggest we book one lane for every 4 people (i believe its about £40 for a morning)

in the afternoon we will move onto the sporting clay layout, the layout is i believe £35 for what is described as 100 sporting, but is much more like 130, you will not find a nicer ground than bisley, they have it all there, 90 yard driven birds, grouse butts, everything. (this takes about an hour and a half to get around)

we could possibly book some ranges for the afternoon as well, possibly even 300/400 or 600 yards on centry (although i have no experiance booking these ranges and have no idea of cost)

but there are many options.

so far the only thing set in stone in my mind is that if this does happen we need to operate a deposit system, every meeting i have tried to organise or anyone else has, have suffered from drop outs, causeing in AP's case, the meeting to be canceled. unfortuantly the only way i see to discourage this and make sure that people only put their names down when actually able to come (not to say showing an intrest isnt allowed) is to ask for a small deposit £5 or £10, what ever people feel is reasonable.

i hope there are a fair number of people up for this, it should be a great day out, give some of the non shotgunning or rifle members a chance to come and have a go on others gear.

so make a post if your intrested, and lets start to get an idea of dates and numbers. i would hope to book mid january, so we can make sure both the rifle range and the sporting layout arnt booked. on another note, this will almost certainly have to be on a weekday, getting a range at the weekend is difficult as they are booked several years in advance.

hopefully some of you further afield members can make this.

--------------------------------------------------

on another note, the videos from the west kent meeting have not been forgotten, but ive not got the time at the moment to sort them, or the know how.

and on another note i realise i said i would organise a tenterden meeting for some of the more inexperianced shooters to come along to, however i feel that this might be best left for more fair weather, and a time i have a bit more time on my hands. please say if some are intrested in doing this now, as i can organise it if intrest is great enough.

Edited by dunganick

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi

i saw you post and i am definately interested, if you dont mind a youngen coming. if i came my dad would have to come so i could use his guns if thats alright for a non PW member to join in.

i live basically next to bisley and i frequently shoot their with my dad on short siberia.we only ever shoot on weekends as i am at boording school. but im home this weekend and i might be able to find out the specific prices for you

ps. we have never been told it is fully booked at the weekend so a weekend would be best as more people would be free.

Tom

:) neer succeded in booking a weekend range, maybe i just got unlucky

but as i said the chances of getting a sporting layout is slim, its very popular and your more likely to get a longer session if your the only group for the day.

but thanks for the advice anyway :P

your more than welcome to come, i would hope to bring my dad as well, so non PW members are fine.

i quite fancy the long range afternoon i have to say, maybe we can book the sporting layout for the lunch time break.

ill persuade the dad to bring the lee enfield for some fun

never been on the long ranges only ever used short siberia with the .243 and .22

and the mauser 98 in 30 06

havent had experience with the sporting clays but i found the people running the skeet and trap to be very unsociable(if thats a word?)

tom

i think LB will agree with me when i say the chap who took us around was a top bloke, not a bad word said, constructive criticism only, lots of encouragement, and gave us an awsome day out.

flash,

your dad dosent by chance own a steyr manlicher synthetic in 243 does he?

okay....dates....

i am on holiday from the 24th july too 30th of aug (if ive worked out my timetable right)

i am on a family/stalking holiday 12th-26th of aug

so anywhere between the 24th july and 10th aug ish i could probably do.

do we want week days or weekends, can people get a weekday off in advance, becuase i believe it would mean less people on the ranges and a longer period on the clays.

Edited by dunganick

Hi Nick,

Count me in as well, I'll bring my .22 target rifle which people are more than welcome to shoot.

Between the 24th july to 10th august is fine with me, I would check the NRA website as the Imperial meeting is normally around the 24th july and Bisley will be packed.

Cheers

MC

I think it will be great opertunity for people to have a go, if I am in the country I will come along and bring .22, .223 and 6.5x55. Anyone wanting to try any of these are more than welcome, at £1 an bang I may be going round with a hat if they want too many shots with the 6.5 though :P In exchange someone can teach me how not to miss clays above and behind :*)

Again, depending on when it is, and what we are up to I may be able to talk my mate into coming along with a .223 speedmaster, a black powder pistol and an .44 magnum underlever.

Weekdays won't be any good for me I am afraid, but see what the others say.

If it gets going and you need money the Nick I will cough up either way, and I can make it I will, but if I can't you can have a drink/cover some of the cost anyway. I know from my own experinces there is nothing worse than loads of people dropping out and not paying up.

Thanks for having a go at getting something together.

nice to see lots of intrest, i suppose if we get the dates sorted in the next few weeks we might stand a chance of getting a good number of lanes and the sporting setup.

so we will try to get a saterday.

as for guns i will be taking, well my old man will probably take the hornet, 222, 243, 6.5 and his blaser scatter gun if he gets one :)

as for £1 a shot for the 6.5, you want to start handloading mate, those factory loads are a rip off. our handloads are about 60p a shot, so not too bad.

hopefully i will have my 223 by then :P and it will be one of its first trips out.

is anybody else intrested in the longer ranges after lunch?

i will see if my mum can ring up and check avalibility of ranges and the sporting layout for 5th of Aug

if no one has any objections to that date.

slight problem is that organising it this far in advance we are bound to get people wanting to come once the booking has been made, and without their deposit we cant make the booking and i dont think much more than 4 people per lane is dooable, so might have to turn late comers away.

prehaps a deadline of sunday the 15th of january in the evening

deposits dont need to be sent before then, but as long as we organise it so as to discourage people from not showing up.

the link shows where bisley is, thanks for that kip :P

i would at this point plan a 1 day event, as storage or guns etc... is a pain and i dont know how to go about booking to camp.

however there are lots of resturant type places on the camp, im sure one of them must do accomidation, if not there might be a B+B near by.

hope you can make it :)