Pigeon rotor

neil

Great bit of home engineering Neil,the only obvious problem I can see from your pics. is that it doesn,t look too stable when pressed into the ground.I use the original Magnet which has a sturdy anchorage system but I find that I need to use 2 equally balanced pigeons on the arms to prevent it quickly working itself loose in anything but rockhard ground. You will iron out any problems with use and I wish you all the best and well done. :(

Nice one Neil

I was That impressed i went out and found a wiper motor to start mark 2.

Its off a Capri,(went for the sporty type)

It Cost me 4 quid so another few bob should do the trick and have it up and running.

I have one home made whirly that has seen better days,i made that one from a 12v drill but there wasnt enough torque to give constant speed and it sometimes packed up in a strong wind

so your effort has spured me back to the bench.

To pick up on Cranfields mention on stability, i found that if i carried a small container say an old putty bucket or the like , i would hang it from the centre on a piece of string/wire,fill it with soil etc, it seemed to steady things, although yours does look a bit sturdier.

Anyway watch this space and thanks for the pickies

Sutty   :(

The legs on mine up to the cross bits are about 2t long which i just push into th ground by standing on the cross bits and jumping around a bit.This seems to give it all the stability it needs,one thing that i havent done on mine is to make the arms adjustable (up and down)which someone  advised me to do but unfortunatly after i had almost finished,this may be worth thinking about,i may have a go at an adjustable bit for it sometime :(

• 5 months later...

are you sure you wanted pics of my version and not seans?his did look a little more advanced than this (i wont be offended if you ask him :devil:???:) )there is a discription of what i did to make it somehere on here,i'll try and find that if it helps

OK. My motor is from a Vauxhall. Are there any mechanics or enthusiasts out there who can tell me which colour wire is for what? Normal speed / Fast / Intermittent?

Can you get the different speeds just by wiring up the correct wires in turn? Do I need a speed controller, and if so, how do I make one?

Thanks.

Hello hg.Disregard the intermittent wires and the fast speed,you dont need these.I will check my rover metro motor tonight as i think these are the same as the vauxhall motors.Basically just play about with the wiring untill you get it running clockwise on the slow speed.I will let you know about the wiring tonight. :devil:

Sean.

Hg,If your motor has a black plastic block on the base of the motor with two wires coming from it it will probably be the same as mine,The wires coming from this block are intermitent wires so just disregard them.You should have 3 wires coming directly from the motor the colours being, Red which is positive,black which is your slow speed and a blue wire which is your fast speed.The only useable speed is your slow speed and i think you will find this to be to fast,so you will need to slow it down.With regard to the speed controller a cheaper alternative is to use a resistor,the type i used to use prior to getting a speed controller was an 11watt 2.2 ohm ceramic cased ,you can get these for about a pound and they work superb.You can either solder them inline at the motor end or what i did was fitted mine in a piece of 12mm box section,capped the ends off with the plastic end caps you can buy for box section and had the wires coming out of each end with terminal connectors on which i connected to the battery and positive wire of the cable.

Hope this helps. :devil:

OK, Ive got some of the bits, but need some help on the arms.

How long should I make them? What gauge rod should I use? YP suggested 3/16" spring steel at a length of 6ft but I've rung round all the stockholders and cant get any. I bought some mild steel rod but its too bendy. Anything else I should use?

Ive worked out how to attach the arms to the base but how long should I make the box section before the rod? Ive used 1/2" box section.

Thanks

HG

PS a pigeon shooter near me used the motor from a Lada - the reason being is that the wipers are so slow that you are half way to getting the right speed anyway!!

HG...keep looking for that sprung still, it is hard to track down.......failing that you can use hay rake tines welded together ( the old long sort ) as a mate of mine done.

As for box section ...I have 3 set for differant situ's

1ft......2ft.....3 1/2 ft.....with srung steel arms at about 5ft.

All the best

Buzzer :lol: