first shotgun - what do you recommend - also,what

wickerman_1969

right, im just starting out in shooting,ive shot before but this is the first time that i will have owned a gun. ive jsut applied for my shotgun certificate,and was wondering if anyone could recommend a deceant gun for a beginer,one that is reasonably cheap,but still good enough for rough shooting on farms and stuff? ive heard that Baikal and AYA were good guns for the money,is this true,and if so,how much should i be looking to spend on one? Also,and this may sound very stupid but bere in mind that im a beginer, what is ment by "choke"? :P

thanks mike

Hi mike, when i first started i was told to get a 12b over and under sporter multi choke, which i did and it was pretty good advice as i've used it for pigeon shooting, rough shooting and clay pigeons. Choke relates to the last 2 inches of the barrel the more open the choke is the more spread on the shot pattern, for closer range, and as you go through the chokes (1/4. 1/2. 3/4 and full etc ) the tighter the pattern at greater distance, each being a bit tighter than the last

hope this helps :P

Best of luck with the sgc application

Edited by chewyjack.22

Hi there, youre saying youre looking for a cheap gun... in my opinion its worth spending that little extre and getting a decent new one. atleast new you will know that there are no problems. I think its Lanber that start their range at about £495, but if you want a gun thats going to last you for life, you cant go far wrong with the Berettas.

Hey wickerman, I used a baikal for 7yrs until the stock cracked, it was a great gun and not too heavy,if the gun is well looked after you should not have any problems. But if you can try before you buy.

i just bought a winchester sporter for £700 which is a great budget/novice shooter allrounders gun tho a bit out of your price range.