.17 and the fox

toolazydecoy

hello,

i was wondering what people thought about using .17HMR to shoot a fox, is the round big enough that if you shot it well it would be humane? what kind of range would a fox usually be taken at (i assume as close as possible but what range are they otherwise taken at, ish?) ive had a quick look on the forums and alot of foxes seem to be shot with larger rifles like the 22-250.

any help would be appreciated,

nice one! :hmm:

ATB

Ryan

.......And recently, ...................the HMR is worthy of a fox condition as a tool in the professionals cabinet, along with many others to deal with an assortment of situations.

For most who may just have the one or possibly 2 rifles the HMR should not be seen as THE fox tool.

Edited by Dekers

.......And recently, ...................the HMR is worthy of a fox condition as a tool in the professionals cabinet, along with many others to deal with an assortment of situations.

For most who may just have the one or possibly 2 rifles the HMR should not be seen as THE fox tool.

If you can get it in the brain then out to 125yds will kill it but for chest, I would limit to 75yds really :hmm:

People forget that hundreds of foxes are killed with .17 and .22's by pest control companies all the time :hmm: ..but yeah beyond 100yds as a general rule, take the center fire out :lol:

Steve

I agree. :hmm:

I sold my .17HMR in favour of my 22-250 for Fox,the CF round does a better job than the smaller calibre-enough said!

Tools for jobs and situations...I have 3 rimfires and 3 centrefires ALL conditioned for fox, and they all have their moments!! :hmm::hmm::hmm: