4X4 MPG

pavman

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beware of on-board computer type MPG things. Theoretically they should be dead accurate but my experience is that they are consistently over optimistic. I have a diesel Range Rover, last of the P38 type (2001), on a reasonable run at speeds only a little bit above the limits the computer says 26/27 mpg. In reality a top up to top up check gives an actual figure of 22/23. Even this figure is iffy as I suspect that odometers are as (in)accurate as speedometers in that they read up to 5% high.

I have never done a realistic check around town/commuting but my best guess would be about 18/19 to the gallon.

One thing for sure is that I am getting mightily p****d off in pouring fuel into the beast, I love the car to bits, that high up driving position alone is worth the money but £90+ fill ups are no laughing matter :good::good::good::good: I have been thinking about chopping it in for a nice sensible diesel estate (Passat, X type, Volvo V50) that I would expect a genuine 40+ from and then get an old, about £1k, shogun, pajero, maverick type thing for any local(ish) pigeon shooting etc but when you do the sums it ends up laying out a big capital sum that would take decades to recoup in running cost savings.

So I'll do what I'm good at :-

Nothing but continue to moan :sly::sly::lol:

Mr Potter

Beware of on-board computer type MPG things. Theoretically they should be dead accurate but my experience is that they are consistently over optimistic. I have a diesel Range Rover, last of the P38 type (2001), on a reasonable run at speeds only a little bit above the limits the computer says 26/27 mpg. In reality a top up to top up check gives an actual figure of 22/23. Even this figure is iffy as I suspect that odometers are as (in)accurate as speedometers in that they read up to 5% high.

I have never done a realistic check around town/commuting but my best guess would be about 18/19 to the gallon.

One thing for sure is that I am getting mightily p****d off in pouring fuel into the beast, I love the car to bits, that high up driving position alone is worth the money but £90+ fill ups are no laughing matter :good::good::good::good: I have been thinking about chopping it in for a nice sensible diesel estate (Passat, X type, Volvo V50) that I would expect a genuine 40+ from and then get an old, about £1k, shogun, pajero, maverick type thing for any local(ish) pigeon shooting etc but when you do the sums it ends up laying out a big capital sum that would take decades to recoup in running cost savings.

So I'll do what I'm good at :-

Nothing but continue to moan :sly::sly::lol:

Mr Potter

I had a 4x4 which was doing 27 - 28 mpg. I did what you are thinking of and now have a Skoda Octavia 2.0 PD TDI which is doing a tank to tank 55 mpg. The computer says 64!

It is saving me over a grand a year on fuel alone and over 400 a year on tax and insurance!

Beware of on-board computer type MPG things. Theoretically they should be dead accurate but my experience is that they are consistently over optimistic.

Mr Potter

I had a Renault Laguna that had a trip type computer,

On a trip to blackpool :good: it had me doing 96 MPG i was over the moon if not a tad sceptical

However on another trip to London tank to tank i did acheive just under 60 MPG cruising at just under 60 MPH in top, (6 speed box) just under 2000 RPM.

shaun

Just recently got my Disco 3 2.7 TDV6 manual and have been checking the figure for the last -

Tank 1 - 466 miles on the trip and 22 left in the range readout, 79 litres to brim

Tank 2 - 432 miles on trip - 45 left in the range readout, 77 litres to brim

Tank 3 - 427 miles on trip - 35 left in the range readout,77 litres to brim.

Tank 4 - still on it!

The D3 is easily more economical than my TD5 was, and on tank 1 i drove very gingerly, tank 2 - putting the foot down a bit + towing trailers and some offroad juants, tank 3 just usual driving/ commuting - it doesn't seem to make a massive difference, with my 2002 TD5 i was getting 410 to a tank on average and it was taking £104 to fill and it was no where near as powerful, guess thats evolution for you :good:

i would say averaging it out i'm getting around 27-28 Mpg and for a 2.7 ton vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick i'm very impressed :good: and none of the above was doing motorway miles, most was commuting and sitting in traffic or short journeys under 20 miles.

It's funny though because one of my friends claims his D3 (and he has had a manual and auto version) is thirstier than a range rover :good: they must just differ from car to car.

Regards,

Gixer