Field Guns/Competition Guns

Jonnyni

Right folks (experienced folks) help me out here,

Im just about to come into some money (paid off) so im looking to invest in a new gun.

I have been offered a 682 Gold E at a good price but was actually looking for a silver pigeon.

Whats the diference between the guns and as I use mine for the field should I stick to the filed gun catagory.

Now don't tell me about the width of the rib. I want to know about other practical issues as to why they (berreta) have different catagories.

Cheers Jonny

No I don't want a auto.

Jonny,

I shot with a Silver Pigeon, 30" M/C sporter for about 8 months, and just couldn't get on with it. I don't know why, but I just could not shoot it as well as other guns I've tried. I tried a pals 682 Gold E a few times and improved my shooting overnight.

I've now exchanged the Silver Pigeon for a 682 Gold E, 32" M/C sporter and absolutely love it. I use it for everything, clays, game, vermin, and it simply feels right.

It weighs in at 8lbs, which is slightly heavier than the Silver Pigeon and has nicer woodwork, different engraving, and thats about all the difference I can see.

My local gunsmith (Not the one I bought the gun from) told me the 682 Gold is a "beefier" action than the Silver Pigeon, but I can't say wether this is true, as I've never compared them side by side.

Browning,

Are you a, how can I put this, big bloke?

That might explain your liking for bigger guns.

I tried a 682 many years ago and could hardly get my hand round the palm swell!

It was bloody heavy but the weight was perfectly placed and it balanced realy well, I will give it that.

Hi Stuart,

6'1" and 12 stone, not overly large in the belly department.

I agree about the balance though, it just feels right, comes up to the shoulder well, wether I'm wearing a T shirt and skeet vest, or thermals, jumper and coat.

The only change I made was to smooth off the rubber butt pad so it didn't catch on my coat.

Competition guns tend to be heavier and often have 30" barrels.

They rarely have an "automatic" safety facility.

Field guns tend to be lighter , with barrels of 28" and below as the norm.

Automatic safety is standard.

I have never found a competition model that suited me.

The extra weight is mostly in the wood, making the gun feel chunky.

Its all a matter of personal taste, the best recommendation is to try as many guns as possible, firing them as well as just holding them.

Competition guns tend to be heavier and often have 30" barrels.

They rarely have an "automatic" safety facility.

Field guns tend to be lighter , with barrels of 28" and below as the norm.

Automatic safety is standard.

I have never found a competition model that suited me.

The extra weight is mostly in the wood, making the gun feel chunky.

Its all a matter of personal taste, the best recommendation is to try as many guns as possible, firing them as well as just holding them.

I like a prefare a lighter gun myself with a shorter stalk, I suppose thats what im used to anyway (AYA Yeoman O/U FC).

I guess (as you suggest Cranfield) is try them out.

Dazza Cheers for the offer, my mate shoots a silver pigeon and I liked it for the lightweight feel and how easy it came up to my shoulder.

I just got offered a more expensive gun and can't justify the expense along with the weight difference.

Cheers guys.