Cracking weekend on the "blackies" 400+

Topgunners

Hi Everybody old and new.

I have finally managed to grab a full weekend shooting,

I had a quick reccy on friday afternoon to see if the rooks and jackies were still hitting the holes in the barley. About 150 flew out as I drove up to the fence and I decided we would try there first thing Saturday morning.

Saturday

We arrived early morning and as we drove up to the Barley field we lifted only about a dozen birds. We sat watching for half an hour or so and nothing of any sort flew back in, so we moved onto another farm up the road ( possibly returning there in the late afternoon).

Arriving at the next farm we drove through the dairy and at the back of the seed sheds the sky turned black, as about 800-1,000 birds took off squawking their heads off. What a sight it was. Haven't seen that many birds in weeks. We drove out onto the recently cut grass fields and lifted even more birds. After a while watching flight lines the decision was "taffy" was going to set up in the field behind the sheds and we set up on the edge of a pit 3 fields away.

I also gave my new "speedy" flapper a try out and whilst we were setting up we could hear Taffy banging away already. We had manic sport up to 10.30 and then it slowed down to just an odd bird every 20 minutes.

We picked up 48 birds and drove back to Taffy's to be greeted with a big smile as he had shot 103 . He had to set up with the wind in his face all morning due to footpaths, houses etc but was delighted with his bag.

He then set off back to the welsh coast and we went driveabouts looking for pigeons. We tried spring rape fields, peas, stubbles and found only a few feeding on clover . We set up for an hour and only had 17 pigeons and then went back to the Crow farm and had another 57 .

The farmer came out as were leaving; so well chuffed, he gave me 8 pints of milk and 4 pints of fresh double cream. good man. :yes:

Good day all round

(Sorry - no pics)

208 blackies

17 pigeons.

Sunday

Alan and myself only out first thing in the morning and we were out looking at every farm on my patch for pigeons only :good: £60 in the tank as we were about to run up a lot of mileage We had clocked about a dozen farms stopping off for a quick word with all the farmers on the way.Not a pigeon. We then arrived at another farm with some newly cut grass fields for silage and there were a couple of hundred "blackies" about. I set up in front of a stack of bales and had shot about 15 when Alan's 2 friends arrived.

I had been asked if I would let this chap bring his old man out, as he was very ill and has not got long to live. All he wants to do is shoot a 100 bird pigeon bag before he dies. I said no problem joining us; as for pigeons at the moment very unlikely getting 100 of them. We set them up on the edge of the barn and Alan joined them. I was shocked as after only half an hour they packed up. Alan explained that he was taking them over to the clover fields in Warwick to try and get the Dad that 100 bird Pigeon bag for father's day because he DOESN'T shoot crows. Old boy Brigade " if I don't eat it , I don't shoot it."

9 blackies shot.

I was left on my own and it was getting very,very warm. The birds were banging about and in between having to constantly having to leave the hide and walking all the way round an electric fence into the field and "shoo" the bloody cows away from my deeks ; I was building up a nice bag. The sun was beating down right above me and was HOT, So I decided to strip off as I was sweating buckets. Totally against the "norm" and then carried on shooting with NO shirt on and NO cap on . So bang goes all those theories and comments about you MUST cover up etc. with hats, face veils and the like. It's all due to your movement behind the netting.

About 4.00pm the others returned and had only had 25 pigeons. I said that if they had stayed here they would have shot 150 +. I was on 105 on my own by then and they said they would try an hour before we left. They stood inside a dirty "chitty" cow shed and set up a magnet 35 yards out in the opposite barley field. It went ballistic for them.They were shooting every minute non-stop for the hour or so . 51 birds in 75 minutes . THAT WAS HOT!!!!!!!!!!

I ended up with 117 blackies and 5 Pigeons.

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

th_MVI_0191.jpgMovie

Total count 2 Days ---

Blackies - 385

Pigeons - 42

Top weekend had by all and hopefully I will get the " Old Man" his dying wish soon. Harvest time at the ready.

Regards

Dave K

Edited by Topgunners

excellent write up and excellent shooting.

We had hundreds up on our permission yesterday but there was no real flight line and they seem to be just tree hopping at present...fored a few shots and hit 2 but they then seem to all fly off again....

but i cant wait to have a day like you have, well done :good:

Well done a good weekend :good: and the new motor is :welcomeani:

I bought a lotus limited edition Isuzu Bighorn. Nice condition, full electric pack and all leather seats.

We don't wanna get out of it to go shooting sometimes. :welcomeani:

My mate queried me why I bought a LWB. Reply

" Coz when I hit THAT next telegraph pole; it's GOING DOWN and I'm carrying straight on ". :blink:

Thanks for all the other replies. Days like that don't come by often. Had to make the most of it and upset the kids on Father's Day.oooops

Dave K

• 2 weeks later...