Pattern Test

Pattern Test

My Father is Eighty-Four and we spend quite a lot of time together so often stories of the past crop up, I take him with me on a local pigeon shoot, which is quite close to the house. He loves the autumn shooting when the crops have been drilled, as it is an easy walk for him to go and pick up a shot bird.

As I was growing up, my father passed on to, me a 20 bore that he had owned for many years. I always done quite well with it on rabbits at a fair distance, but struggled with the pigeons. I asked him why this was so, his reply was to me was, your gun has a tight pattern because of the way it has been bored.

At such a young age I was puzzled, so he said, Come on we will go down the field and I will show you what I mean.

So, off we went with a hammer and a frame that he had knocked up in the workshop, the gun, cartridges, and an old roll of wallpaper.

The frame was set up and he showed me how tight the pattern was at a couple of different distances with both of the barrels.

I have repeated this test over the years with the different guns that I have owned.

I wonder if people take the time to test how their gun is performing at a different distance, it does not take much time to do but some effort is required, as not every thing does what it said on the box.

TEH

Pattern Test

My Father is Eighty-Four and we spend quite a lot of time together so often stories of the past crop up, I take him with me on a local pigeon shoot, which is quite close to the house. He loves the autumn shooting when the crops have been drilled, as it is an easy walk for him to go and pick up a shot bird.

As I was growing up, my father passed on to, me a 20 bore that he had owned for many years. I always done quite well with it on rabbits at a fair distance, but struggled with the pigeons. I asked him why this was so, his reply was to me was, your gun has a tight pattern because of the way it has been bored.

At such a young age I was puzzled, so he said, Come on we will go down the field and I will show you what I mean.

So, off we went with a hammer and a frame that he had knocked up in the workshop, the gun, cartridges, and an old roll of wallpaper.

The frame was set up and he showed me how tight the pattern was at a couple of different distances with both of the barrels.

I have repeated this test over the years with the different guns that I have owned.

I wonder if people take the time to test how their gun is performing at a different distance, it does not take much time to do but some effort is required, as not every thing does what it said on the box.

TEH

Very sound advice. I've learn't the hard way by sticking to the same cartridges (Clear Pigeon 30g No. 6's) and varying the chokes. 1/2 and 1/2 suit me best for pigeons out to around 40 yards.

I've always been sceptical about pattern tests. I can't believe that every cartridge of the same make & type produces the same pattern.

Why not? Factory produced, same measured charge etc, I would have thought it likeley.

Perhaps we should all try it and see how good the cartridges we use are?

Why not? Factory produced, same measured charge etc, I would have thought it likeley.

Perhaps we should all try it and see how good the cartridges we use are?

I've no doubt that the shot is totally consistent - until someone pulls the trigger, fires it up a barrel at 1100 + fps, through a constricting choke that rearranges the pellets in doing so damages some of them, and finally allows them to fly 30 yds in a three dimensional group towards a two dimensional target.

I've no doubt that the shot is totally consistent - until someone pulls the trigger, fires it up a barrel at 1100 + fps, through a constricting choke that rearranges the pellets in doing so damages some of them, and finally allows them to fly 30 yds in a three dimensional group towards a two dimensional target.

But its the same every time isn't it, I think this is worth a try to see what happens

Pattern Test

TEH

And not just with the gun as it will perform differently with different cartridges. It's not just rifles that tend to 'like' a particular cartridge...but a lot of people tend to forget that shotguns also have preferences. :good: Pattern test until you find a cartridge that's works best in your gun then take it out in the field and check that you can consistently hit things with the combination, then stick with it. If you buy different cartridges it's good practice to re-pattern both gun and ammo. :)

Putting up a huge sheet of cardboard is an excellent way for u to c the diffrence in choke sizes,obviously u must take the shot from the same spot each time.its is also the best thing there is to test you're point of aim,so put a black mark in the middle and take aim and shoot,is the shoit pattern where you thought it would be? Chaps I have an inexhaustible supply of these big cardboard sheets so if ure I'm my area let me know and there ures!

Putting up a huge sheet of cardboard is an excellent way for u to c the diffrence in choke sizes,obviously u must take the shot from the same spot each time.its is also the best thing there is to test you're point of aim,so put a black mark in the middle and take aim and shoot,is the shoit pattern where you thought it would be? Chaps I have an inexhaustible supply of these big cardboard sheets so if ure I'm my area let me know and there ures!

Morning.

What size (ish) are the sheets as I may just take advantage of your kind offer. I had a load of cartridge paper sheets ready for use which I'd kept for ages just in case. Just got a load of new cartridges and was going to pattern them but it looks as though my sheets got mislaid in a recent house move.

Many thanks.

Cheers

PS, me, Exmouth

If you have a prontaprint or Staples near you I have a PDF file of a pattern sheet that you can get printed. It is the one with the inner circle divided into 4 and the outer divided into 8.

I have no idea what any of it means and I have never fired a gun at a pattern plate in my life.

If anyone wants a copy of the file PM an e mail address.

Cheers

MC

Mc a pattern plate is just what it says,a huge sheet of paper/card to shoot at and then observe you're pattern and see if you're point of aim was where you thought it was, a simple thing really! Quite low tech! You're right they are not seen about much anymore .you are more than welcome to as many as u want,as are all. for all in the south west ile be at the sportsman exeter in 4-5 weeks pm me and ile stuff as many as I can in the motor 4 u. Sorry forgot to say,they are pallet sized 4ft by 4ft.

Edited by the running man

If you have a prontaprint or Staples near you I have a PDF file of a pattern sheet that you can get printed. It is the one with the inner circle divided into 4 and the outer divided into 8.

I have no idea what any of it means and I have never fired a gun at a pattern plate in my life.

If anyone wants a copy of the file PM an e mail address.

Cheers

MC

Just in case it's of interest to anyone, I've just been to Sportarm of Dorchester and outside was a cardboard pattern plate as described with Lyalvale Express stamped on it. Perhaps they sell them.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Mc a pattern plate is just what it says,a huge sheet of paper/card to shoot at and then observe you're pattern and see if you're point of aim was where you thought it was, a simple thing really! Quite low tech! You're right they are not seen about much anymore .you are more than welcome to as many as u want,as are all. for all in the south west ile be at the sportsman exeter in 4-5 weeks pm me and ile stuff as many as I can in the motor 4 u. Sorry forgot to say,they are pallet sized 4ft by 4ft.

Hello, mate.

PM on way soonest.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Many, many thanks, mate. Just the job! Didn't expect the frame you also knocked up which is ideal. As soon as I get the gun back from the 'smiths I'll get it sorted.

Cheers,

Phil

• 1 month later...

Not if you use cupped shot cartriges, i used olympic trap for the vast majority of my decoying.