Boat recommendation for sea fishing

955i

I know that some on here enjoy their sea fishing so hoped I could get a bit of advice.

We are planning to relocate nearer the sea and I would like to get a boat for days out fishing.

It would need to be relatively cheap, small enough to be towable with the Disco and kept at the house but large enough for 3-4 people to spend a day comfortably at sea without tripping over each other.

Anyone got any recommendations as to boat models that could fit the bill?

Ta

Regard 18ft as a minumum size for 4 in comfort and safety. What you need to decide is whether you want a round bilge displacement hull with a low powered cheap to run engine and chug alon at 4 or 5 knots. Or, do you want a planing hull with a high powered expensive to run engine which will whisk you out to distant marks in short time order. There are so many variables and as above it depends upon the depth of your pocket and what you want to do.

Blackpowder

the list is endless for the size of boat your after.warriors,orkneys.wilson the list goes on.have a look on some of the small boat forums.you,ll get some good advice and an idea of costs etc.there,s a good club bases at prestatyn north wales.google this title and you should find there forum.my mate fishes with this club,he,s just bought a new warrior.with the trailer and engine and electrics about 20 grand.

not wanting to kidnap this thread but i was thinking of a cammo make over on my boat it is 17.5 feet X 6 feet

where could i get it done or buy the material/vinyl

Edited by JRS

Hi .We had a 17ft Dell Quay dory with a 50 hp merc and did us well fishing and towed it all over the country and fished a few small craft coms. Then we got a mooring for her in the isle whitthorn harbour. As we use to go a lot that way for the tope coms..But as overs have said the choice of small crafts is mind blowing.

J R S

A few months ago their was a article in the angling times where a top angler Jan Porter as a small craft and he camo it. In the article im sure he told you where or how he did it ..If you can trace it might help you..

thanks for that woodslogger but i dont know how i can trace that article , may just resort to a spray job if i cant find anything in the vinyle line , could do with some material for the seats though .

regards

Always liked the look of a Shetland 535, but don't know its limits.

We had a shetland 535 when I was younger, my dad used to tow and launch it with his vauxhall omega (i think it was a 3.0ltr although cant remember)

It had an old red band 50hp merc on it (could of been blue - **** memory or what!) but even so it used to get up on the plane with us in it. it was a brill old boat, sturdy and big enough, but a bit on the heavy side i think.

I saw a new Predator 165 Sea Angler on the bay yesterday with a recon decent sized engine. on the website they have videos of one bloke launching and retrieving it on a break back trailer, looks a birlliant little boat with good space on it!

Regards, Ash

forget the boat...you need a good fishing kayak..good exercise..great fishing and no fuel bill :oops:

here is my mates tope

sharkiestope.jpg

and another mate likes to catch the odd skate

tribbs.jpg

Common Skate.....Looks like Loch Sunart or Crinan if I aint mistaken....:no:...

I was involved in the first UK capture of a Common off a kayak...:( Took the pics that were used in the story in BFM...:lol: Think it was that mag anyway...:lol: helped measure it and also witnessed it...:lol: Great day that was..;)

Re a fishing boat...it all depends how much you want to spend, and how far out you want to fish...no use fishing 30 miles out on a boat that does 5 knots, and in the same vein, no use fishing 1/2 mile out on a boat that does 30 knots...I sold my Seahog two weeks ago, 50hp 4 stroke bigfoot mariner, all the toys etc etc... to concentrate on shooting...any of the larger Seahogs would do you...or what about a Wilson Flyer...they are good boats too, and easily towed..:D

Good luck in your hunt...BTW, my mate is selling his Raider 18 with an almost new 135hp on her...fantastic boat...:)

Edited by Norrie

I`ve spent a lot of time in Orkney boats and can thoroughly recommend them.

Hiya, yep, totally agree, a charter skipper mate of mine, runs three 19 ft Fastliners in Luce Bay...fantastic sea boats....and thats with 4 crew, and the skipper.... :lol:

I have had boats all my life and I am still registered as a commercial skipper, I started to fly helicopters a few months ago and a friend who owns one said how costly it is to own one for the amount of use you get out of it. I said it's the same with boats, he then said I bet you didn't take the advice did you? I said what advice? If it flies, floats or ***** rent it, you can buy alot of quality charter fishing without the hassel or expense for the price of even a modest family fishing boat, and then there is all the safety gear. I hope you heed the advice in less than the 20 years it took me. It will save you a fortune.

Regards to all on PW