Getting rid of rats

Hi all can anyone recomend a poison to kill rats and mice? The farmer asked me today to get rid of rats that are running wild on his farm so much so that the neighbours have started to complain as they are everywhere. he has tried poison but said that the rats have started to avoid his poison and will not touch it. it is loose grain poison he scattered around in certain points only where the rats are but they are not eating it. I told him I was going to get some for another farm I do pest control at but was looking at getting some outdoor stuff I will put a link to the poison I was going to get in the morning. would like some advice if you think this would work? Many thanks for all the help I have got so far on other posts.

Hi all can anyone recomend a poison to kill rats and mice? The farmer asked me today to get rid of rats that are running wild on his farm so much so that the neighbours have started to complain as they are everywhere. he has tried poison but said that the rats have started to avoid his poison and will not touch it. it is loose grain poison he scattered around in certain points only where the rats are but they are not eating it. I told him I was going to get some for another farm I do pest control at but was looking at getting some outdoor stuff I will put a link to the poison I was going to get in the morning. would like some advice if you think this would work? Many thanks for all the help I have got so far on other posts.

If he is using grain there are various proprietory brands but the active ingredient will almost certainly be Difenacoum or Bromadiolone. ...and he should NOT be scattering it around!!

ROMAX RAT will almost guarantee do the job..relatively new, been around a few months now!

BUT much of this is only professional use!!

Sorry I ment by scattering around as it says just in certain places ie bait stations dotted around where the rats run and nothing else can get to. The point I was trying to make is that the rats have stopped taking the food so there for it has become useless. I have been putting down bags on another farm and the rats have not even opened the bags and are still there so looking for what maybe you suggested. Thanks

Sorry I ment by scattering around as it says just in certain places ie bait stations dotted around where the rats run and nothing else can get to. The point I was trying to make is that the rats have stopped taking the food so there for it has become useless. I have been putting down bags on another farm and the rats have not even opened the bags and are still there so looking for what maybe you suggested. Thanks

Rats like the grain on the whole but you could try Contrac Blox or Pastas as well, the active ingredients are similar.

Rats are neophobic, they will very often NOT take baits for a couple of weeks, sometimes longer..... patience.

If you are getting absolutely no take then they obviously have another food source, so the idea is to remove it, Pest Control operates on a number of levels, the environment needs surveying and the best form of riddance adopted.

Pro Victors or the like can often be very productive as well!! :angry:

PS

Don't forget a well placed air rifle pellet is also quite effective! :no:

Edited by Dekers

I would use a bucket of slug pellets mixed up with honey and sugar, maybe some treacle to make it smell nice, roll it up into little balls and roll them down the rat run, they will devour the slug pellets as they will smell of yummy sweet stuff and then die down the rat hole. If you want any more tips, PM me.

I would use a bucket of slug pellets mixed up with honey and sugar, maybe some treacle to make it smell nice, roll it up into little balls and roll them down the rat run, they will devour the slug pellets as they will smell of yummy sweet stuff and then die down the rat hole. If you want any more tips, PM me.

Sounds interesting and rather sticky! I've not used Metaldehyde before on the rat ( I assume thats what you mean), what sort of volume do you need??

This is a POISON of course, where as most rat baits contain an anticoagulant! :no::angry:

Edited by Dekers

Sounds interesting and rather sticky! I've not used Metaldehyde before on the rat ( I assume thats what you mean), what sort of volume do you need??

This is a POISON of course, where as most rat baits contain an anticoagulant! :blink: :good:

Sorry for late reply, the gamekeeper I do alot of work with taught me it, very good way of getting rid of a few underground creatures if you get what I mean. Just use rubber gloves and you will be fine. as for the name, im not sure, just a big f off bucket of blue/purple slug pellets and all the sweet stuff chucked in to make it extra scrummy for the little devils.

and they wonder why us pestie's get tarred with the same brush :good:

The law is the law..even if it is Europe, life is life and reality is what happens..especially on the farm or with a few Gamekeepers I know as well.

We have to do it right, very often it's daft that I can't do it..because I am apparently a professional, but the same law/rules often do not apply to Joe Public.

:lol::lol:

ATB! :good:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...