Hollow Points

deputy dog

Hi all. I'm looking for a decent hollow point to use through my Rapid 12. I'm using accupells at the moment and lucky for me they shoot like a dream through her. But i would like to use hollow points for squirrels and rats because of their shock factor on impact. Any recommendations about any particular make which goes through Rapids well would be greatfully recieved. I really dont want to go through buying tins of various brands just to find one one brand that shoots well enough. I have been out of the airgun scene for about ten years, and iv heard that these new model air rifles are pellet fussy, hence the me asking for advice. :rolleyes::lol:

ATB

Gareth

I wouldn't use any hollow points tbh....try wadcutters for short range stuff if yu really need to, I never change from domes and have had good results regardless of target.

Edited by kyska

I wouldn't use any hollow points tbh....try wadcutters for short range stuff if yu really need to, I never change from domes and have had good results regardless of target.

As above,stick with dome heads and vary the grain,rws are good pellets,bis mags,have taken plenty squirrels with these no problems :drinks:

Thanks lads, you lot come out on top again. Will try a few of the pellets mentioned above. I wont stray from using accupells, but i will give the Beeman crow and Rws Hollows a bash. See what their like through my rapid. Cheers gents for your posts i really appreciate it.

ATB

Gareth.

Edited by deputy dog

maybe try a heavier pellet for more impact at close range? like bis mags? i find them really good i tried flat pellets once and found them pretty bad i always stick with domes like said before they do the job just fine. squirrels can just be total ******* to put down aparently i havent ever shot one myself as i have no woods to shoot in but i've heard theyre **** no matter what the pellet type!

But i would like to use hollow points for squirrels and rats because of their shock factor on impact.

On a 12lb airgun you are not going to get any other shock factor other than the look on it's furry little face when it realises you've just given it lead poisoning!

Just stick with the accupels.

On a 12lb airgun you are not going to get any other shock factor other than the look on it's furry little face when it realises you've just given it lead poisoning!

I disagree. If you use pellets that go straight through then there is little energy transfer and the squirrel or pigeon can escape and die elsewhere. Hit them with a soft domed pellet like a JSB or AA Field and the pellet stays in ensuting that all the ennergy from it istransferred to the prey.

I've had too many pigeons make off after seeing the tell-tale puff of feathers from its back when using hard pellets. Same with squirrels. Put a hole through its chest and it will run off and you'll probably never find it without a dog. Hit it with a JSB or AA Field and it knocks it over dead or comatose.

Well lads you have left me in a quandery now. All these makes you have suggested and the pros and cons of each typr from soft headed pellets to hard domed pellets. I will stick to the accupells for general shooting, crows and rabbits. But i may try a few of the other makes suggested. Thanks all again. I'm well pleased that you took the time to post. :blink: :yes: :yes:

ATB

Gareth

Ps

I'll let you know how i get on with after trying a few of these pellets.

• 4 weeks later...

agreed with the above, to be honest been rather shocked with hollow points , was killing bunnies cleanly with domes , the shop was out of stock and i had to buy some hollows , about 1 in 5 i hit. i was mortifyed i thought the heavyer weight was making the pellets spiral and so i had a new spring put in for good measure, this helped but certainly was no rememdy, honestly , domes FTW ha .. although in a way its more challenging when four shots out of five miss .. sort of spurrs on your love for the sport :yes: happy shooting guys :good:

But i would like to use hollow points for squirrels and rats because of their shock factor on impact.

Gareth

:yes::good: or a heavier domed pellet :lol:

12ft lb Rifles!

Pointed can over penetrate and are notoriously inaccurate.

Hollow point are accurate until they leave the barrel, then they take on a life of their own, they do not expand or fragment in the way some assume! Very close range only!

Wadcutters, pretty much as HP above, very close range only!

Domed are the best hunting pellet you can buy for a balance of accuracy and energy transfer..oh yes, and used for target!!!

There are other pellets...!

Everyone will have different experiences with pellets as some love barrels and some hate them, the above is the norm and a generalization!

ATB!!

Try youtube.

35 different pellets tested for accuracy but ignore that, different barrel Etc but different pellets to note if you havn't seen them or heard of them before.

Tested for penetration, rather basic but gives a good idea if you want penetration or want to avoid it.

Views of pellets after the strike so an indication If it will be a bonus pellet for hunting if you find it accurate in your rifle.

Even shooting backwards for a super hollow point at very short range, again check for accuracy first.

Not all pellets are equall.

Might take a while to find what your looking for though.

Many clips & on going so new ones uploaded frequently.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gunvidder

• 2 weeks later...